all posts post new thread

Matt's Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I was wondering about how well it would "learn." That's good to know. I suppose it's like measuring food and using a heart rate monitor. It's useful, but the real benefit is when you learn how to operate without the technological help.

Been out of the loop for a while, since I've been doing some training for the National Guard, and have been on base for the last week and a half. It will be another couple weeks or so before I go home, but the good news is that they have kettlebells at the gym here, from 16-32k. My training hasn't been too inturupted, since we have evening off and nobody else uses anything heavier than 20K. I have made a couple adjustments to my training, since it seems as though I'm not capable of ignoring the occasional "squirrel!" that I run across. General format is the same, however.
I really want to get a solid 1/2 bodyweight press (for at least 2 or 3 reps), and the soju and tuba press program seems perfect, since it uses few reps at a higher weight. It will get more time consuming in a while (at which point I'll be home and doing some GTG reps), but for now it goes pretty quick. I'm using a 32K bell (which is just barely my 2RM); a 28K might be more ideal but they don't have one here. If I have to, I'll just do the first half of the program and then start over. Since I'm doing an actual pressing program, I've eliminated TGU's and swapped push presses for jerks in order reduce interference from overhead pressing volume. To compensate for geting rid of TGU's, I've added dead bugs to my warmup, and I'm being much more consistent with my end-of-session loaded carries. Right now I'm still training every day and alternating two different kinds of sessions, but I'll add a third (light) session later if I need the recovery time between pressing sessions. An example of the two days is like so:

Oct 11
EES warmup
Jerk-6x10@24K
Snatch-10x5@24K
Farmers Carry-4x35 seconds @ 32&24K

Oct 12
EES warmup
Press-4x1@32K (day 1 of the S&T program)
KBS-2H-10x8@32K
Barbell back rack step ups-6x1 minute @ 135lbs

I'm hoping that, by keeping all my other overhead work ballistic in nature (jerks and snatches), I won't interfere with the pressing. Ballistics, grinds, and loaded carries, all done in a manner that avoids heavy use of anaerobic glycolysis. The more things change, the more they stay the same...

A friend of mine wanted to deadlift last night, so I subbed sumo deadlifts for the 32K 2H swings I was going to do. I worked up to a training 1RM of 335, which is within 10-20 lbs of my PR from when I was regularly training the deadlift. I probably could have pulled 345, but my low back started give at 335, so I called it good. I'm pretty happy with that, seeing as I haven't actually trained the deadlift for over a year. Yay for heavy swings.

Finally back home after three weeks away. It's good to be with my family again, but I always miss the simplicity of full-time Army training. Eat a lot, sleep some, train, and work out. Nothing else to worry about. Now that I'm home, I think I'm going to have to make some modifications, again. Issue 1 is that I was taking 45 minutes or more per session, whereas now that's not going to fly. Issue 2 is that I started the S&T pressing program with the 32K, but after I finished with the first third of the program, I realized that, while 24K would have been too light, 32K was too heavy. Bummer about not having a 28K, but oh well.
Time to simplify. I would drop back to S&S, but I have two reasons not to. I still want to pursue a 1/2 BW press, and I want to take an honest crack at programming loaded carries. Obviously, I need to get on a more fitting press program, and I just so happened to have one that I bookmarked back when I was doing S&S, for "when I wanted to work on my press." I took another look at it (Fabio Z's Plan Strong inspired program) and decided that it's worth a cycle. Maybe that will bump my press up to where I can re-start the S&T program with the 32K. I can press every other day, work a kettlebell ballistic every other day (swing or snatch), and do loaded carries of various kinds every day (I'll be doing more 6" step ups for the carries than actual walking, since I'm going to be inside a lot due to weather and parental responsibilities). After I decided on this, I realized that I was basically just working on picking things up, carrying things, and putting things over my head. I'm ok with that.

Oct 29
EES warmup
KBS-1H-10x10@24K
Overhead and suitcase carry @24 & 32K, respectively-8x10 step ups

Last edited:
Oct 30
EES warmup
Mil Press- 2,3,5@24K
Farmers carry & ruck @ 32&40K and 60 lbs-6x8 step ups

Oct 31
EES warmup
KBS-2H-8x8@32K
Keg front carry and ruck @100 and 60 lbs-6x12 step ups
-At work-
Farmers carry @ 40&40 lbs (5 gallon water jugs)-8x1 minute (GTG style)

Nov 1
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2,5 @ 24k
Note: Recovery day from night shift.

Nov 2
EES Warmup
Snatch-4, 6, 10 @ 24k
Double KB shoulder carry @ 24 & 32K-8x25 step ups
-After-
Walked to the grocery store with my son in his baby back pack. Got some groceries, filled up one of our 5 gallon water jugs with water, and walked back to the house. About 1/2 mile, I rotated between a suitcase carry and shoulder carry one each side.

Nov 3
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 3 @ 24k
Famers carry and ruck @ 32K & 40K and 60 lbs-6x10 step ups

Nov 4
EES Warmup
Snatch-4x10 @ 24k
Duck walk carry and ruck @ 96K and 60 lbs-6x20 feet

Nov 5
Mil Press-2,3,5,3,5 @ 55 lbs
Note: I was at drill, so I didn't get a full session in. At the little gym in the armory they don't have a 24K, but they have a 30 lb and a 25 lb.

Nov 6
EES Warmup
Snatch-2x10, 1x8 @ 24K
Note-Just got back from drill and was pretty tired, so I cut the carries.

Nov 7
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 2 @ 24K & 1, 1 @ 32K
Farmers carry and ruck @ 32&40K and 60 lbs-6x10 step ups

Nov 8
EES Warmup
Snatch-4x10, 2x6 @ 24K
Front rack carry @ 24 & 32K-4x10 step ups

Nov 9
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 (x2) 2, 2 @ 24K
Overhead and Suitcase carry @ 20 & 32K-6x12 step ups

Note: I'm currently doing presses via the Plan Strong based program written and posted by Fabio Z. I cooked up a snatch program that waved volume in a similar manner and was doing it alongside the press program. I was a little worried that snatching or pressing each day could get a little rough on my shoulders, so my plan was to keep my eye out for any issues and adjust if needed. My shoulders feel alright, but not great, and I'm not even two weeks into it. I have a feeling that I'm headed for rough territory, especially considering that both programs will be peaking volume at about the same time. My primary goal is still presses and experimenting with carries. By introducing a detailed program for snatches I think I was trying to play with too many things at once, and it would be silly to have to stop pressing because I was snatching too much. I will start doing swings a la S&S, and quit trying to chase so many rabbits, in hopes that I will be able to catch one.

Nov 10
EES warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24 & 32K (3:2)

Nov 11
EES warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, (x2), 3 @ 24K
Keg shoulder carry @ 100 lbs for 800m
Note-It was a nice day and my wife and son were out, so I did the carry outside.

Nov 12
EES warmup
KBS-1H-6x12 @ 24K and 4x6 @ 32K
Note-No carries since I was resetting to a day schedule after last night's shift. Shifted the reps around for the swings to get about 100 reps in 10 sets, since I'm in that awkward spot where I can do 1H swings witht the 32K, but my grip isn't as solid by rep 10 as I would like.

Nov 13
EES warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 3, 3 @ 24K and 1, 1 @ 32K
Front rack and suitcase carry @ 32K and 40K-6x10 step ups

Long post today.

Nov 14
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-6x12 @ 24K and 4x6 @ 32K
Front Rack carry @ 24K-85m

Nov 15
EES warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 (x2), 2, 3 (x2) @ 24K
Bottum up front rack and suitcase carry @ 8 & 24K (no typo, 8K on the BU rack carry, that sh*t is no joke)-8x15m

Nov 16
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K
Front Rack and suitcase carry @ 32 & 40K-4x15m

Alright, I've been doing loaded carries almost every day for a month, and I'm willing to say that the results are, more or less, in. I haven't been blown away by the amazing results, but I do think that I've experienced some substantial benefits with regard to tying my body together and filling gaps in my swing/press based training. Also, I'm better at carrying stuff now, so that's always nice.
I'm definitely keeping loaded carries in the mix, but at this point I think I can say that I will get more benefit from doing swings every day and carries almost every day, instead of carries every day and swings every other day. In that same vein, I'm going to start doing the no BS S&S swing format of 10x10 swings every day (with overspeed swings on some days), instead of playing around with reps, sets, etc. This means that I actually need to take a step back and evaluate where I am, start at a lighter weight than I think I need to, and ensure that I'm owning each weight before I move up. I'll spend a few days with the 20K to make sure I have that in the bag, then start working on the 24K (probably gonna spend a lot of time there). Darn kettlebells, always forcing me to work on that patience and humility crap...

Random notes:
-My right knee (also known as the Harbinger Of Doom) was starting to hurt, which is usually a sign that my left knee is going to start hurting, and sh*t is about to get real. I think doing step ups (even just 4-8 inches) with 100+ pounds on a regular basis probably has something to do with it. It might be a good idea to lighten the carries a little and start walking the hallway for a while.
-Playing with my diet a little. I've been doing intermittent fasting for almost two years, breaking my fast between noon and 2 most days. I'm going to push that back a little, keeping my caloric intake around 200-300 calories between when I wake up and around 5-8 in the evening. This is mostly just to see if I can comfortably do so, since one less meal to worry about makes life that much simpler, but it's also to prepare myself for a possible "Thanksgiving to Christmas Keto Adventure" that my brother and I have been talking about, since neither of us have given keto a try and kinda want to see what it's about.

Nov 17
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 2, 3 @ 24K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K
Front Rack and suitcase carry @ 20 & 24K-150m

Nov 18
EES Warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-6x10 @ 24K
Overhead and suitcase carry @ 20 & 24K-2x90m

Nov 19
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 @ 24K and 1 @ 32K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K

Nov 20
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K
Front Rack carry @ 24 & 32K-8x15m

Nov 21
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 2, 3, 2 @ 24K and 1 @ 32K
KBS-1H-4x10 @ 20K
Note: I was super tired for the last half of yesterday and for the first few hours today. I've been on a night schedule since the 18th, and I think that, combined with the stricter/longer fasting periods I've been playing with have sabotaged my body a little bit. For instance, on the 18th I accidentally fasted/under ate for about 25 hours. I actually felt fine, and wasn't even hungry when I did eat, but changing sleep patterns tends to make everything else a little more difficult. Anyways, I loosened up today and ate a little more (still under eating, but not fasting) and as I type this at work at 1 am I feel pretty good. The good news is that tonight is my last scheduled night shift since I'm being moved over to all day shifts (woo hoo!) so I won't have to change my sleep schedule unless I cover a night shift for someone.

@malleus it's a program Fabio Zoning published here in the blog a while back. It's a more generic program that can be applied to many lifts, so it's probably a little on the low volume side for presses. As long as I'm making progress, though, I'm ok with it. I'm halfway through it and about to get to the higher volume stuff.

Nov 22
Travelled to the grandparents' for Thanksgiving. Brought the 24K.

Nov 23
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 (x2), 2 @ 24K
Note: would have done a little more, but the little guy was up all night. I just took a 2 hour nap, greased the groove with the day's presses, and called it good.

Nov 24
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K

Nov 25
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 2, 3, 2 @ 24K and 1 @ 32K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20 & 24K (2:3)

Nov 26
EES Warmup
BtP (bent press) mobility work
Note: I'm going to start doing some bent press mobility work (rib pulls, arm bars, and position work) on the days I don't have presses. Two reasons: 1) I might transition to the BtP once my MP is where I want it, and last time I worked on the BtP I learned that you don't want to show up with any hip, shoulder, or T-spine movement restrictions. 2) As I move into the higher volume half of the pressing program, a little light "prehab" might do me some good. If I end up not working on the BtP, then I don't think I'll regret doing a little less carrying and a little more mobility for a while.

Nov 27
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 (x2), 3, 2, 3 @ 24K
Note: Long day at work. Just presses.

Nov 28
EES Warmup
Front Rack carry @ 20 & 24K-10x15m
BtP mobility work

Nov 29
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 (x2) 3, 2, 3 @ 24K

Nov 30
After work familial obligations cut into training time.

Last edited:
Dec 1
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 3, 5 @ 24K and 1, 1, 1 @ 32K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K

Dec 2
EES Warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-5x10 @ 24K
Farmer carry @ 20 & 24K-10x15m
BtP mobility work

Dec 3
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 (x3), 2, 3 @ 24K

Dec 4
EES Warmup

Dec 5
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 2, 5 @ 24K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K

Dec 6
Rest day. Today was pretty stressful and work went a little long. Decided not to push it.

Dec 7
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 @ 24K and 1, 1, 1 @ 32K
Note: Felt fantastic after my rest day.

Dec 8
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K

Dec 9
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 (x2), 3 @ 24K
KBS-2H/overspeed-5x10 @ 24K

Dec 10
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20 & 24K (1:4)
BtP mobility work

Dec 11
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 2 @ 24K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20 & 24K (1:4)
Note-My current pressing cycle is winding down, and I'm feeling really good about it. The 32K (my 1RM) feels a lot more solid/smooth/less of a struggle for my life every time I press it. I'm really hoping I can hit 36K for a single, but even if I can just get 32K for 2 or 3 I'll be happy, since then I could start the Soju and Tuba program with it. 36K would be half bodyweight, but I secretly want to be able to press my 40K for the semi-arbitrary reason that it's the heaviest 'bell I have.

Dec 12-work
EES Warmup
BtP Mobility
Note-Decided to mark which days are work days. Twelve hour shifts lend themselves to doing the bare minimum, so maybe it will make more sense when I drop down on KBS weight or eliminate parts of the training session on those days.

Dec 13-work
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 2, 5 @ 24K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K

Dec 14-work
No training. The boy is usually about to go to bed when I get home from work, but tonight he was still full of energy. I decided to play with him instead of train :)

Dec 15
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5, 2, 3 @ 24K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom