all posts post new thread

Matt's Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Dec 16
EES Warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-5x10 @ 24K
Windmill-3x3 @ 24K

Dec 17
EES Warmup
Mil Press-3x3 @ 24K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K

Dec 16
EES Warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-5x10 @ 24K
Windmill-3x3 @ 24K

Dec 17
EES Warmup
Mil Press-3x3 @ 24K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K

Dec 18
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K
Windmill-3x3 @ 24K

Dec 19
Ended up staying at work an extra 3 hours, sooo no training today. On an unrelated note, I've noticed that despite a no-less hectic work schedule, my HRV scores have been improving since about the end of November. They are now usually an 8 out of 10 or better. I attribute this to reducing my training a little and playing with my son more :).

Dec 20
EES Warmup
Mil Press Test Day (resting 3+ minutes between each set)-24Kx3, 24Kx1, 32Kx1, 36K (24K stacked w/ 12K) 1RM attempt-unsuccessful, 32K RM attempt-2 reps per side (PR).
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K
Note-I'm a little bummed that I didn't make the 36K, but it's hard to tell how far off I was from making it, since stacked bells are a little harder then a single bell. Maybe if I had a 36K bell I could have made it, but it's hard to tell... That being said, I was still able to add a rep to my 32K Rep Max (after going for a 1RM attempt), so I'm definitely stronger now than I was a few weeks ago.

Dec 21
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K
Windmill-3x3 @ 24K

Dec 22
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 (x2) @ 24K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K

Maintenance Plan: I will be alternating a day or two of presses and swings with a day of swings and windmills. Pressing days will be like Dec 22, with presses first to prioritize tension. Windmill days will be like Dec 21, the windmills being a means of active recovery/mobility, with the swings first to prioritize power. This will give me a total of 20 military presses each press day, and and 60-100 reps per week, which should maintain/slightly improve my press. I thought about doing the bent press on my non-pressing days, but I think if I started bent pressing a lot, I would want to train it. The windmill, on the other hand, offers similar mobility benefits, but it's less mentally taxing and there's no ego involved in it for me.
I didn't realize this until after I decided on the plan, but this is very similar to what I did when I was in Romania. Similarly to my situation back then, I'm planning for some "one 'bell training." It would be silly to bring more than one 'bell on vacation (about a week, over new years) and in Romania I just had my KB sand bag.
I've really been digging the military press, so I'll probably take another crack at the Soju and Tuba program in January. Joey Yang recommends using a weight that is somewhere between your 2RM and 4K lighter than your 1RM. I tried it in October with the 32K, but it was too heavy at the time and I fell off the wagon once the program started calling for sets of 2.

I should also mention that I tend to adjust my "even easier strength warmup" a little at a time, and by now it's probably time to re-post it. It consists of 3 rounds of:
-5 goblet squats
-15 calf raises
-5 SLDLs on each side
-A military press to lockout, the descending half of a TGU, a floor press, the ascending half of a TGU, pull the 'bell back into the rack from lockout, and then switch hands and do it on the other side.
I usually do this with either 20K or 24K, depending how I feel. If I'm feeling froggy, I'll do all 3 rounds without setting the 'bell down, which takes about 8 minutes.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that despite a no-less hectic work schedule, my HRV scores have been improving since about the end of November. They are now usually an 8 out of 10 or better. I attribute this to reducing my training a little and playing with my son more :).

An excellent sign! Are you using the Elite HRV app? What do your numbers and scores usually look like?

I got a score of "1" this morning for the first time ever! Results of a 10 min snatch test yesterday w/ 16kg (SSST, best ever at 211 reps), needing more sleep,and holiday stress I guess. Will try to rest and recover over the holidays...

I am using the Elite HRV! I like all the pretty colors. I started in September and my numbers were usually in the 6-8 range with a few 9's. Since I cut back on the volume around the end of November I've had a lot more 10's, and 7-9 is the norm. Not a huge change, but there is a definite difference in the pattern.

Gotta love those days you get below a 4! You wake up feeling like dog sh** and then the HRV app confirms that you're a wreck o_O.
Congrats on the SSST PR though!

Dec 23
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 20K
Windmill-3x3 @ 24K

Dec 24
Had Christmas dinner. I worked today and will work for the next two days, then we're off on vacation for about a week!

Dec 25-Merry Christmas and stuff
EES Warmup
Mil Press-2, 3, 5 (x2) @ 24K
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K

Dec 26
Work ran til almost 9 pm again, so no training today.

Dec 27
EES Warmup
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K
Overhead Carry @ 24K-180m, then 90m
Note-Listened to an Rdella training podcast with Grey Cook, and of course he went off about the importance of training stabilizers, as opposed to getting too focused on primary movers. Of course, loaded carries are one of the best ways to do that. In light of this reminder, I've decided that "Windmill Day" shall be changed to "Stability day." Swings first, and then carries, TGU's, or windmills, depending on how I feel and how much space I have.

Dec 28-Jan 4
Summary of vacation:
I trained most days. On the days I trained I did swings and either military presses or some kind of stability/accessory lift. I took it pretty easy, though, mostly using it as a means to work out the kinks after a lot of driving.

Future plan:
I want to keep working on my press, but my wife just started a new job, which means I won't really have the time for a typical pressing program. I need to be able to keep things at 25-35 minutes most days. I think I'll just do an A/B split. Session A will focus on the clean and press, and if I have time I'll work in some A+A swings or snatches. Session B will focus on 10x10 swings, and if I have time I'll work in some stability work. Not ideal, but I think I need to keep things flexible right now.

Jan 5
EES warmup (I dropped the warmup to 2 circuits for the sake of time)
C&P- 5x1, 2, 3 @ 24K
Snatch-4x5 @ 24K

Jan 6
EES warmup
KBS-1H-10x10@24K
Suitcase Carry @ 24K-6 minutes

Jan 7
EES warmup
C&P-5x1, 2 @ 24K
KBS-2H/overspeed-4x10 @ 24K

Jan 8
DL-2x1 @ 315
Note-I snuck away and did this in the armory weight room while I was at Drill. I planned on doing my normal stuff this eveing, but I got home later than expected. The reasoning behind the deadlifts is a "GO/NOGO" test I've been doing for a while. I want to maintain a 2xBW deadlift minimum. I've been able to do that pretty easily for the past couple years, and every once in a while I check it. If I ever can't pull 315 (BW=155), that will be a sign that I need to adjust my program. I don't need to be super strong, but I never want to drop too low for the sake of endurance.
I was reminded of this when I mention somewhere else on the forum that I could easily maintain a 2xBW DL doing swings, so I walked into the weight room and did 6 snatches on each side with the heaviest kettlebell they had (a whopping 30 pounds) for a warmup. Then I took the bar off the bench, loaded it to 315, relaxed for 2-3 minutes, and pulled it. I wanted to make sure, so I waited another 2-3 minutes, and pulled it again. I probably could have pulled another 20-30 pounds, but I wasn't maxing, just checking in.

Jan 9
EES warmup
KBS-1H-10x10@24K
Rack carry @ 24K-4:30

Jan 10 and 11
No training. I've been sick, so I'm not going to train unless I feel up to it. I worked both days, so after 12 hours of walking, I don't really feel up to it.

Jan 12
EES warmup
C&P-18x2 @ 24K
Note: In my never ending quest for simplicity and efficiency, and also since I don't feel like doing a real program right now, I think I'll give Dan Johns "one lift a day" approach a shot. Set the timer for 30 minutes, warm up, and work the movement for the rest of the time. I'll rotate C&P, 2H swings, carries, and 1H swings, all done in a more or less A+A manner. I don't know if doing C&P every 4 or 5 days is really enough volume to make progress, but I guess I'll find out.

EES warmup
KBS-2H/Overspeed-17x5 @ 24K-might have done another set or two, but got distracted by a snowball fight. More on that later...
-later-
Ruck-50 lbs-3.6 K in 65 minutes. The first 45 min (1.3 K) was walking to the post office with my wife and a boy we're babysitting, then I dropped them off and did another 20 minutes (2.3 K) on my own. I tried to be quick, but I didn't really push myself. I think my HR stayed around 135, so about 20 bpm under my MAF zone.

Ok, time for a totally non-training social observation. We (my wife and me) are watching my coworkers 7 year old boy. My coworker is a wonderful, sweet gal; literally one of the top 10 nicest people I've ever met. Her boy, hereto referred to as the Kid, is a bit of an oops-baby, and is about 8-ish years younger than his 3 older brothers. Her husband, for reasons that I truly cannot fathom, left her a few years ago, meaning the Kid gets to grow up only seeing his dad a couple days a week, if that (something I can 100% relate to). The Kid's mom told us before hand that the Kid "doesn't like to make messes, doesn't like to go outside, doesn't roughhouse, and is a picky eater because he's allergic to [insert everything]." Basically the opposite of me. Oh well, I like kids, I don't need them to be like me.
Here's the rub. The only thing that held up was the picky eating thing. The Kid played Minecraft on an Ipad most of the morning, but at one point he saw our box of fluffy, synthetic snowballs. After he asked what they were, I told him, and said that we could have a snowball fight later if he wanted. It turns out that a dry, indoor snowball fight was the stuff of dreams for this guy, so the last 10 minutes of my training session was mixed with the first ten minutes of 20-30 minutes of running around and throwing stuff at each other. So much for no rough housing.
After that, I was going to go for a ruck, and pick up the mail en route. Normally, my wife and I try to walk our errands (with the baby in tow) when it's nice, but I figured the Kid would want to stay in. As I was getting ready, he seemed a little interested in joining me. Fast forward ten minutes, and all four of us are headed to the post office (about 1/4 mile away). My wife is towing the baby in his toboggen, I've got my ruck on, and halfway there the Kid offers to tow the baby (that's half his bodyweight) up a steep hill. Seems out of character, but alright. I have to help him a bit, but he makes it up the hill. We get the mail, swing by the pharmacy, and on the way back, the Kid opts to tow Henry again, for the entire 1/4 mile to the house. I walked a little more after I dropped them off, and apparently missed another really good snowball fight. For a kid who, according to his mom, basically lives on Cheerios and Minecraft, he seems to do pretty well when the opportunity to be physical presents itself. His mom is an absolute gem, but this gives me an interesting perspective on the importance of a male role model. Also helps me appreciate my grandfather a lot more, and understand, just a little, the challenge my mother faced raising my brother and I. Like I said, nothing to do with training, but I just thought it was interesting.

Edit: When I say "male role model" I mean "a role model for traditionally male characteristics and attributes."

Last edited:
Jan 14
EES warmup
Snatch-24x5 @ 24K
Note-Decided to ditch the full session of loaded carries and swap 1H swings for snatches (though I will drop back to 1H KBS if/when I need to give my hands a break). I love carries, but I don't think they're as "high return" as swings, snatches, and C&P unless someone has an injury or imbalances they need to address. I use carries to fill in any "gaps" I might not be aware of, but I already do 2 TGUs and 10 SLDLs each side during my warmup, which does much the same thing. Until I have a little more time again, I think a lot of the fun carrying stuff will have to go in the "whenever I have time to do more" bucket. It seems like I get to pull something out of that bucket about once a week. Yesterday I rucked, maybe next time I'll carry a water jug home from the store.

If anyone wonders why I always explain why I do things, it's actually not to justify my "workout ADD," (well, maybe that's part of it). It's mostly so Future Matt can look back and understand why Present Matt did what he did. Memories have a funny way of becoming whatever we want them to be, unless held accountable.

32K RM attempt-2 reps per side (PR).
nice PR, Matt. I recall, that you are a lighter guy, you are not that far away from half bw?

When I say "male role model" I mean "a role model for traditionally male characteristics and attributes
from what I get from your log, you are doing and thinking quite well in this regard.

"one lift a day"
as simple as this one sounds, the variety can be endless. I think it would fit your current situation well.

my "workout ADD,"
I think it only seems to you, as you have with your family, your work schedule disorder some big things to handle.

Great attitude and work, Matt.

Thank you for the kind words @Harald Motz!

And yes, I'm closing in on a 1/2 BW press (I weight 70K). Hopefully working C&P every 3-4 days will keep nudging me in the right direction. I'm only three sessions in to the new format, but it's been almost relaxing to spend each one simply focusing on one lift. I'm not doing anything as long as a typical A+A session (about 20-25 minutes of work sets after my warmup), but maybe that's still enough to reap some of the benefits. Time will tell.

Jan 15
EES warmup
C&P-16x2 @ 24K

Jan 16
Rest day

Jan 17
EES warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-25x6 @ 24K

Jan 18
EES warmup
Snatch-24x5 @ 24K
-Later-
Walked errand with my wife

Jan 19
EES warmup
C&P-17x2 @ 24K

Jan 20
EES warmup w/ light weight (more to loosen up after work than anything)

Jan 21
Walked around for about half an hour with the boy in his back pack carrier (I love that thing). I felt pretty good today, but I still took the day off from training. I tend to neglect taking days off because I feel like I need to train, so every once in a while I try to take a day off even when I feel alright, just to remind myself that I won't die ;).

I'm really digging the "one lift per day" approach. I haven't been doing it long enough to see if they way I'm implementing it is effective, but I really like just being able to focus on one thing, and just let my volume be determined by time and feel.

Jan 22
EES warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-20x6 @ 24K

I'm really digging the "one lift per day" approach. I haven't been doing it long enough to see if they way I'm implementing it is effective, but I really like just being able to focus on one thing, and just let my volume be determined by time and feel.

I think that's a great idea for you right now! I do that somewhat, basically an A+A session working on an SFG II skill, or snatches, or something else, letting the volume be determined by feel, like you said. It is nice to focus on one thing per day for your working sets.

Jan 23
EES warmup
Snatches-26x5 @ 24K
Note- Trained outside, to play around a little with cold exposure (it was in the low 20's and breezy), which produced a slightly higher average HR. I was definitely feeding the sympathetic nervous system in order to stay warmer/not mind the cold. It was hard to tell if my actual performance was significantly different, but the experience as a whole certainly was.

Jan 24
EES warmup
C&P-20x2 @ 24K

Jan 25
Rest day. When I work 3 or more days in a row, it leaves me kind of drained (and my wife too, since she has to do that much more at home), so I think I might just start planning on not training the last day of a stretch. It seems like training between work days helps me maintain momentum, not to mention that it reinforces a good rhythm and helps me sleep. That last day it just feels so good to ease off and have some family time.

Jan 26
EES warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-22x6 @ 24K

Jan 27
EES warmup
Snatch-28x5 @ 24K
-later-
TGU-5x1 @ 24K (I felt good, and it seemed like a good thing to do)

Jan 28-Outside-35 degrees and windy
EES warmup
C&P-22x2 @ 24K

Jan 29-Outside-45 degrees and 20-30 mph wind
EES warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-15x8 @ 24K
Ruck-3. 27 km w/ 50 lb pack in 30 minutes (Avg HR=140)
Note-I've finally given in, and decided to play around a little with cold exposure stuff, and maybe even some Wim Hof stuff. My understanding is that the cold exposure stimulates your body to make more brown fat, then the breathing techniques allow to you to consciously tap into the brown fat activity. Even if I never get to the "conscious control" part, I'm still interested in what will happen if I let my body create the brown fat. To that end: cold exposure. However, I'm not really into being super uncomfortable, so I'm doing more gradual cold exposure. Supposedly, the stimulus for making brown fat is the skin being cold, while core temperature is less relevant. My solution is to take my training outside, so the exercise can keep my core temp up, while my skin is exposed to the cold (assume that all my outside exercise is being done in a short sleeve shirt, or shirtless). Luckily, we're in a warm spell right now, so hopefully I can get some brown fat made before we drop back into "real winter." I'm hoping that by spending more time in a state of mild discomfort, I can eventually get similar results as the folks who go straight to the ice baths. We will see.

Jan 30-Outside-37 degrees, no wind
EES warmup
Snatch-12x5 @ 24K
Note-Decided to halve the volume for each of the next three session to give myself a little bit of a de-load.

Jan 31-Outside-15 degrees, no wind
EES warmup
C&P-1x2 @ 24K
Note-Well, winter's back. I always thought that t-shirts didn't make much of a difference in insulation, but I shucked my shirt for the last two sets and found out otherwise.

Feb 1
Last day of a 3 day stretch of work, so as per my new policy, I took it off. Still riding the mile to and from work in shorts and a sweatshirt, though.

Feb 2-Cold room-23 degrees, warmed to 27 due to body heat
EES warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-8x8 @ 24K
Note-Ok, so today it was 5 degrees outside. Sorry, but I'm not quite there yet haha. The good news is, we have a "cold room". It's a 10'x11' addition (who makes an addition to a trailer house?) off the back door. It has no heat an very little insulation. Until this fall, it was my training (and storage) room, but once the temperature dropped, I moved my training out to the living room. Ironically, I now see it as the perfect place to train when it's super cold outside, since single digits outside means it's 20-30 degrees in the cold room. Hopefully I will either adapt a little more or it will warm up just a bit, since I really do prefer training outside.

Feb 3-No cold. Trained in the living room, with my wife. She'll do swings once a week if I ask her, but I think swings in the cold might be pushing it...
EES warmup
Snatch-28x5 @ 24K

Feb 4-No cold. Trained in the armory gym.
EES warmup
Sumo DL-10x3 @ 205
Note- I brought my bell to drill with me, but I assumed that we would be back at the hotel at a reasonable time, so I left it at said hotel. When I realized that we weren't getting out of there until at least 9, I made do with what I had.

Feb 5-No cold. Trained in the armory gym.
EES warmup
C&P-17x2 @ 24K
-later- (after I got home from drill, it was about 38 and windy)
Ruck-3.3 km w/ 50 lbs in 32 minutes
Note: My section got done a little early, so I grabbed my bell from my truck and trained while I was there.

Feb 6
Rest day

Feb 7-Outside-12 degrees and breezy. Kept a sweatshirt on until set 10.
EES warmup
KBS 2H/overspeed-17x8 @ 24K

Feb 8-Outside-16 degrees, no wind
EES warmup
Snatch-24x6 @ 24K

Feb 9
Rest day

Feb 10-Outside-52 degrees and breezy. Like they say, if you don't like the weather in Montana, just wait 5 minutes and it'll change...
EES warmup
C&P-19x2 @ 24K
Front Rack carry-9 minutes total, out of about 13 minutes, w/ 24K

Feb 11-Outside-34 degrees, no wind
EES warmup
KBS-2H/overspeed-16x6 @ 24K
Note-Today's session wasn't quite as productive as it could have been. I normally eat my first meal around 2-4 in the afternoon, and today I was stuck in the ER from noon until right before my shift ended. I wanted to see how I performed after a whole day of essentially no eating (less than 100 calories since dinner last night), and I guess now I no. I didn't feel quite as powerful, and my rest periods were longer, but I still felt pretty good.

Feb 12-Outside-42 degrees and windy
EES warmup
Snatch-24x6 @ 24K

Feb 13
Rest day

Feb 14
EES warmup
C&P 17x2 @ 24K
Note: I like training outside, so just assume I'm outside. I won't bother adding weather info unless it's pretty cold.

In the process of asking Al about any updates to his training manual, I told him what I was doing in my own training. His big suggestion was to increase my set length, since I my training sessions are shorter than typical A+A sessions. He specifically suggested a couple training sessions made up of snatches, presses, and C&J's. I told him I would try them out and get back to him...

Feb 15
EES warmup
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-3x5, 2x4 @ 24K

Feb 16
EES warmup
C&J-20x5 @ 24K

Feb 17
Rest day

Feb 18
EES warmup
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-5x3 @ 24K
-later-
Rucked 2.6 km w/ 50 lbs. I was with my wife, so it took a little bit longer than usual ;). I do love the family walks, though.

Feb 19
EES warmup
C&J-18x5 @ 24K

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom