all posts post new thread

Matt's Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Feb 20
Rest day

Feb 21-At this point, just assume I'm doing some kind of EES warmup.
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-2x4, 3x3 @ 24K

Feb 22
C&J-18x5 @ 24K

Feb 23-Outside-26 degrees. Kept my shirt on for the snatches, and shucked it for the presses

Snatch-10x10
Mil Press-2x4, 3x3 @ 24K

---------
Alright, here's one of those long, detailed entries. The short version is that I went on a two day snowshoeing trip in the mountains. The way up to the cabin was literally the most physically challenging thing I have done in at least the last 5 years (if not my entire life), the cabin itself was very pleasant, and the way down wasn't too bad. See the bottom for my "training evaluation"

Feb 24
Snowshoed 10.35 km over 300 meters of elevation gain in 4 hours and 28 minutes with a 50 lb pack.

Note-It's been a couple years since I broke out the ol' snowshoes, so I thought "Hey, the wife and kid are visiting family in Colorado, I have a few days off, why not shake things up with a little trip up to mountains?" I thought it would be a good way to have some fun, get away, and "test myself" a little bit. The "trail" was actually a snowed over Forest Service road; the FS closes the gate (which is about 6.5 miles from the campground and cabin) for the winter. You can still rent the cabin super cheap, but you just can't drive up to it. Now why did I bring 50 lbs of gear for only one night? Good question, for which I have two answers. 1) I was going to be completely unable to contact anyone if something went wrong, which means I needed to be prepared. 2) I thought, like the arrogant prick that I can be now and then, that I should carry my "short distance training weight" in order to make it challenging. After all, I was only going about 3 times as far as my normal training distance. How big of a difference could a little snow make?
Anyone who knows snowshoeing is either laughing or cringing right now. I brought my GPS with me (although I left my HR monitor at home, since I wanted to go feel this time), so at every given point along the hike, I knew about how far I had left. This ended up being a life saver, because otherwise I would have been telling myself "just one more bend, I must almost be there..." before I was even half way up.
I got to the gate around 12:30, broke my fast with a tablespoon of peanut butter, and took off. Almost the entire way up was (surprise) uphill, and even with the snowshoes I was sinking 4-6 inches into undisturbed powder with each step. By the time I was 1/3 of the way in, I knew I was going to be doing some suffering. I celebrated making it 2/3 of the way with a tablespoon of peanut butter and packet of fruit gummies. By then things were pretty rough, and it wasn't getting any better. Before then, around halfway, I had accepted that there was no way I could walk slowly enough that I would be able to maintain a constant pace. I started taking a breather every 50-100 meters, but by the time I was 7 km in, that was down to 20-30 meters, and that's pretty much how things stayed.
The last 1/3 of the hike was mostly comprised of 30-40 second intervals of slow walking, followed by 20-30 seconds of catching my breath. At this point, I was very thankful for the last year or so that I've spent working with a HR monitor. I would walk until I juuuust started to bump into the red zone, then I would stop. I think this was critical, because I knew that I needed to come back down the next day, and I couldn't afford to wreck myself. I just kept telling myself that, as long as I kept moving forward, eventually I would get to the cabin. That meant that, at some point, I was going to have warmth, shelter, and be able to sit down and eat a big meal. I'm no hardcore endurance athlete, but during high school I did about a million 3 mile races, I've had my share of Amy "suck sessions", and I ran a Spartan Beast race last spring. Nothing that I can think of even comes close to how difficult this was. The first hour wasn't that terrible, but pretty much everything after that was an unadulterated suckfest.
The happy ending is that I did make it to the cabin around 5 pm, I split some firewood, started a roaring fire in the fireplace, and was finally able eat a "real meal" around 5:30. Aaaand I pretty much just kept eating until 8, at which point I took some Ibuprofen and passed the hell out.

Feb 25
Snowshoed 10.35 km over 300 meters of elevation drop in 2 hours and 57 minutes with a 40 lb pack.

Note-This wasn't so bad. I had eaten/drank about 10 pounds out of my pack, and pretty much the whole way back was down hill. I thought I would be crippled with soreness (especially in my adductors), but I was just a little fatigued. I credit that to staying out of glycolysis during the previous day (and the ibuprofen). I still had to take breathers every little while on the way back (going through powder is hard work, even if it's down hill), but not nearly as often. Even better, some time after I had come up the previous night, someone had snowmobiled about 1/3 of the way up the road, so the last 3 or 4 km was on hard packed snow! Huge difference.
The best part of the way down was about 2 km from the gate, when I met an older gentleman who was out doing some XC skiing with his dog. We talked a little, and I have now updated my "Old Man" goals. He told me he was going up to the lake and back (the trip I had just made over the course of two days), and that he tries to do that route (or thereabouts) about once or twice a week, either on skis or his ski-length snowshoes. He was 70 years old, and obviously didn't take his trek very seriously. He was wearing jeans and a sweat shirt, and although he may have had a little water and food stashed away somewhere, he didn't have any kind of pack. Granted, he was travelling light, and XC skis mean that (as he put it) "I only really have to work on the uphill, then I just sorta float back down." Still though. Damn impressive.

Training Evaluation-----
What I did right:
  • Working with the HR monitor for a while. Even without one, I was able to stay our of glycolysis, and that saved my bacon.
  • Power repeats. I'll be honest, 50 lbs was too damn heavy. Chalk it up to arrogance and inexperience. Once I was really got headed uphill, and the powder got deeper, there wasn't a lot of "steady state aerobic work" to be had. Towards the end, I think I was mostly using the alactic system every time I moved forward. Thankfully, I was able to stop, breathe, and do it again (and again, and again, and again...).
  • Fasted training. During the whole hike up, there was only a couple times, maybe 5 minutes long each, when I was actually hungry. Once I started eating, though, that was all I could think of for about 2 hours haha. I swear I lost a couple pounds of fat just during that hike up...Also, the hike back was 100% fasted, and I felt great.
  • Upper body work (snatches, presses, etc). My pack has a chest clip, but no hip belt, and I never felt that the pack was too heavy for my shoulders. I usually took my breathers in the short stop position, to take the load off a little, but over all I felt pretty solid.
What I could have done better:
  • MORE F*CKING RUCKING. That's pretty much it. During most of the way up, especially the end, my aerobic system just couldn't keep up while I was actively moving forward, so the alactic system had to do a lot of the work. If my aerobic system had been more efficient, then maybe my work periods could have been 5 or 10 seconds longer, and my rest periods 5 or 10 seconds shorter. That would have made a huge difference.
My takeaways:
Never underestimate snow. Don't pack a 12 pound splitting maul just because you'll "probably need it" (I did use it, but I would have been OK without it). Be humble (that kind of dovetails with the last one). If you have time to ruck, then ruck. You will never think "Gosh, this is just too easy, I wish I hadn't rucked so much."

Feb 25
Rest day. I know this is tomorrow, but I'm pretty confident I can call this a rest day.

Last edited:
Whew, I'm tired just reading that! Great job!

Well, I'm not nearly as sore as I thought I would be. Actually, with the exception of a little tightness in my calves, I'm not sore at all. My HRV score was also a 10/10 this morning. I really could have trained today, but I had a gut feeling that it was a good idea to relax. Chalk one up to staying out of the red zone.

Feb 27
Rest day. My wife and kid got back from Colorado, so I thought I'd better hang out with them ;)

Feb 28-Outside-23 degrees and breezy
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-4x4, 1x3 @ 24K

Mar 1-Outside- 26 degrees and windy
C&J-20x5 @ 24K

Mar 2
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-4x3, 1x2 @ 24K

Mar 3-Outside- 45 degrees and 20-30 mph winds
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K
OAPU-2x3, 3x2 on 12" elevation
Rucked 3.9 km in 38 minutes w/ 50 lbs
Note-I decided to swap out my "easy day" stuff. Al suggested doing C&J's, but I think something implicit with online coaching is that, if something causes an issue, the onus is on the trainee to respond appropriately. The main issue was wrist pain, since both the cleans and snatches tend to beat up the wrists. Since I'm training most days, my wrists weren't getting a break. Also, I'm a little concerned that daily overhead work, with no horizontal pressing, could lead to issues. I also just posted a video of my snatches, and got some good feedback about what to work on. I think the 1H swings will help train my snatch, and the the OAPU's will provide a little more balance to my pressing (as well as give me a little more focused ab work). Neither of them beat up my wrists. I was a little worried that the 24K wouldn't be "enough," even for a light day. I focused on the kime and pulling the 'bell down into the hings (sort of an overspeed 1H swing), and lo and behold, there was definitely no issue with things being too light.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCM
Mar 4
Got some sort of flu-ish thing today. Sore, tired, fever. Fun stuff.

Mar 5
Felt way better, but definitely not 100%.

Mar 6
I probably could have trained today, but since I normally don't take very long breaks from training, I figured maybe a third day off could be good.

Mar 7
Snatch-8x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-2x3, 2x2 @ 24K
Note-Toned down the volume compared to a normal session.

Mar 8
KBS-1H-10x10 @ 24K
OAPU-1x3, 4x2 on 12" elevation

Mar 9
Rest day. Had to work late.

Mar 10-18 degrees
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-4x4, 1x3 @ 24K

Mar 11
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-5x3 @ 24K

Mar 12-26 degrees and breezy
Ran 2 km in 11 minutes
Note: I think I'll start throwing running back into the mix. Rucking is still my favorite, but I'm not very good at running, and that seems like a dumb thing to not be very good at. I'll probably just spend a lot of time with a stop watch focusing on getting my cadence around 180 steps per minute.

Mar 13
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-5x2 @ 24K
Ran 1.7 km in 10 minutes

Mar 14
Rest day

Mar 15
Rucked 3.3 km in 33 minutes w/ 60 lbs. Bumped up the weight; my heart rate was staying too low with 50 lbs.

Mar 16
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-3x4, 2x3 @ 24K

Mar 17
Rest day

Mar 18
Snatch-10x10 @ 24K
Mil Press-5x2 @ 24K
Ran 3 km in 16:40

Mar 19
Rucked 4.3 km in 41 minutes with 60 lbs

Mar 20
Rest day

Mar 21
Snatch-16x8 @ 24K
Note: I've been doing a little thinking. With my limited training time, and the way I've been having to take more "rest days" that I would like lately, it would probably be best to focus my training on the biggest "bang for the buck" stuff, and really minimize everything else. Although I do want a 1/2 BW press, I'm happy as long as I'm simply making progress in the right direction. I'm going to start playing around with ways to increase my snatch volume, while still making [slow] progress with the press. Today I did 3 sets of 3 presses in my warmup (along with the usual goblet squats, SLDLs, calf raises, and windmills). For the sake of measurement, I pulled out the 32K just to see where I was with the presses. I got two solid reps per side, and I'm not sure if I could have gotten a third (although that was about 15 minutes after I finished my training session, so not exactly fresh).

Mar 22
Snatch-16x8 @ 24K

Mar 23
Rucked 4.3 km in 43 min w/ 60 lbs, to include one excited 23 lb little boy
Flew down to visit my brother

Mar 24-Day 1 of Vacation
Rest Day
Visited my brother for the weekend. I didn't train per se, but I did help him move in with his girlfriend, which meant moving his too-big-for-the-elevator couch up to the fourth floor.

Mar 25-Day 2 of Vaction
Overspeed Snatch-4x10, 10x8 @ 16K
I was responsible for carrying the boy around in the pack, so I walked around with about 30-ish pounds a lot
Note: I flew to my brother's so I had to leave my 24K at home. His 24K was at a friend's place, sooo that left me with the 16K. Still way better than nothing.

Mar 26-Day 3 of Vacation
Overspeed Snatch-10x8 @ 16K
More walking around with the boy. We went to IKEA to get stuff for the new place. It was almost as rough as my last snowshoeing trip...

Mar 27
Ran 3.6 km in `19 min (back at home)

Mar 28
Rest day, had to work late

Mar 29
Snatch- 12x8, 8x6 @ 24K
Note: Played around a little with my breathing and the rep scheme today

Mar 30-45 detgrees and raining
GTG Pushups
Pushup "easy" RM-Got to 26 before I started to have to push fairly hard. Probably could have gotten between 30-35. I'll keep my GTG sets around 10-15.
Snatch-18x8 @ 24K
Note: After reading the latest article on pushups, I (along with everyone else who read it) have decided that GTG pushups might have a place in my program. Since I've relegated the military press to the warm up, maybe some easy-to-recover-from pressing work is in order. I'm cautious about being too optimistic, though. I haven't had great success with GTG in the past, because I have a tendency to forget about it. We'll see, though. Pushups are certainly one of the more "accessible" movements.

Mar 31
GTG pushups

April 1-Tracy Martin Memorial 5K fun run!
Went to a local 5K. Mostly because it was being put on at my old high school, by my old track/XC coach. This was actually the reason I started to sprinkle some running in with my rucking. I decided to turn it into a bit of an "experiment day"
-9:03 AM-Started the 5K, ran it in 23:30
-9:46 AM-Started the 1 Mile, ran it in 6:55
- 10:05 AM-Snuck up to the weight room and pulled a 315 DL.
Assessment: My goal was to run the 5K at a pace that was at the top end of my aerobic threshold, just to see where I was actually at. I'm pretty happy with the results; I probably could have run below 23 minutes, but I don't know if I could have run it under 22. I did the 1 mile just because I was there, it seemed like fun, and I had already paid my entry fee. The DL was another "go/no-go test" of whether or not I can still pull 2x BW. I went to the weight room, put the plates on the bar, and pulled it about ten minutes after I finished the 1 mile. Overall, I can definitely tell that my calves are still my weakest link in regard to running. My posture, cadence, breathing, etc. was all good, but my calves were lagging behind. It was a 30 minute drive to get home after the race, and when I got out of the truck it felt like someone had surgically removed an inch of my Achilles tendon. Some foam rolling helped, buuuut they're still tight. Also, this was all done fasted. It's 11:50 right now, and I'll probably get hungry and eat within the next hour.

April 2
Snatch-14X8 @ 24K
GTG PU

April 3
GTG PU

April 4
Snatch-16X8 @ 24K
GTG PU

April 5
Ran 3.8 km in 19 minutes
GTG PU

April 6
Snatch-18X8 @ 24K
GTG PU
-later-Rucked 3 km in 31 minutes, then 1.3 km in 14 minutes w/ 60 lbs

April 7
Snatch-18X8 @ 24K
GTG PU

April 8
Snatch-16X8 @ 24K
GTG PU

April 9
GTG PU
Played around with some yoga
Note: My wife and I might start doing some yoga together, so I'm going to start experimenting with it.

April 10
Snatch-18X8 @ 24K
Ran 5.1 km in 30 min
GTG PU

April 11
Snatch-16X8 @ 24K
Fartlek run in the hills (at my in-laws place). Stopped to pick up rocks, trees, and generally mess around. Covered 2.3 km in 23 minutes.

April 12
Rucked 2.4 km in 26 min w/ 60 lbs
GTG PU
Note: I should point out that I've been doing a little yoga in the mornings and in my warmup. Nothing fancy, just some sun salutations; I figure if the basics are key with every other physical discipline, yoga probably isn't special. Maybe when I get the breathing and presence of mind down (which I'm assuming takes months or years), then I'll worry about getting more complicated on my own. I've actually thought, for a year or two now, that someone could address all their day to day fitness needs with a combination of yoga, kettlebell ballistics, walking, and running. Yoga does a lot of great stuff, but as a pure body weight program, there's no "true" pulling (although you could certainly still train the pulling muscles), and there's certainly not a total body pull. You're also missing out on explosive hip strength. The swing or snatch covers the gaps in movement types and movement qualities in spades. Essentially, I think you could run something like S&S, and replace the TGU (so called "loaded yoga") with plain ol' unloaded yoga (aka...yoga). Add in some LSD and you got yourself a recipe for life-long fitness. Or so I've conjectured. Maybe now it's time to put my money where my mind is. That being said, I'm still doing my daily pushups ;)

I agree with your thoughts on yoga. I had about 6 or 7 years of it prior to kettlebells, and I progressed with the TGU way faster than swings and way faster than most people. I think yoga formed the basis for it. Particularly "power yoga" and the like. It's also great for focusing attention on the breath, and learning to have that internal witness or observer to really notice what's going on with the body during poses and movement. This is so important for injury prevention during strength training.

For me, cycling (and some running), kettlebells (and some barbell), and yoga are the perfect combo.

April 13
Snatch-18x8 @ 24K
GTG PU

April 14
Yoga-15 minutes of sun salutations
GTG PU

April 15
GTG PU

April 16
Snatch-12x8 @ 24K
GTG PU
Note-My schedule has been pretty hectic since the 12th, and it looks like that will continue until about the 19th. During that time, it's been/will be a matter training when I feel good and trying to stay recovered, so once things smooth out in a few days, I can hit it again. Today I felt alright, but I only trained (warmup+snatches) for 20 minutes instead of 30.

April 17
Snatch-20x8 @ 24K
GTG PU
Note-I'll probably pay for it, but I felt really good today so I just went for a full session. I've done a few test swings here and there with the 32K, and I think I might actually start working with the 32K sometime this month or next. I'll probably start with 1H swings and cleans, and then work back to snatches. I secretly really really really really want to be able to crank out sets of 5-10 snatches with the 32K. All in good time. The reality is, I still have a long time before I "run out of runway" with 24K snatches. Every time I want to jump to something else, I just have to remind myself that I'm still improving just doing what I'm doing.

April 18
GTG PU
Note-Hah! Paid for yesterday's session, mostly because of poor sleep last night. Oh well. I just have to try and get some sleep tonight, then I'll be set...

April 19
Snatch-18x8 @ 24K
GTG PU

April 20
Snatch-16x8 @ 24K
-Later-
Ran 4.2 km w/ 6 lbs in 24 minutes
Note-The 6 lbs in a running pack is 1) something I can carry my phone in, and therefor listen to stuff, and 2) and correctional device, since it gives me immediate feedback about how much bouncing up and down I'm doing.

April 21
Snatch-14x8 @ 24K

April 22
Yoga-40 minutes of Youtube yoga with my wife
Ran 5.3 km in 28 minutes with 6 lbs.
Note-My knees started to bug me a little on this run, which means the pack needs to be lighter (than six pounds?) and/or my running technique still has plenty of room for improvement. I'm betting on the latter, but I'll cut back on the pack anyways. In the mean time, I should probably record myself doing some running.

April 23
GTG PU

April 24
Snatch-18x8 @ 24K
GTG PU

April 25
Snatch-14x8 @ 24K
GTG PU

April 26
GTG PU

April 27
Cook Drill w/ 16K-16:00 (hand switches every 2:00), then 10:30 (hand switches every 1:45)
Run-2.8 km fartlek in 17 minutes
Note-I liked the longer, lighter carries. It's not as much fun as going heavy, but it's more of an aerobic event, and it didn't feel nearly as taxing (not surprisingly). I like making every 3rd day a bit of an active recovery day, and I think this fits in nicely with that.

April 28
Snatch-20x8 @ 24K
GTG PU

April 29
Snatch-20x8 @ 24K
Mil Press-RM test w/ 32 K-got 3 reps on each side
GTG PU
-later-
Yoga-30 minutes with my wife

I think I will start using the 32K now. For the past 5 weeks or so, I've been doing nothing but snatches with the 24 (and GTG pushups for the last 4 weeks), and for quite a while before that I was doing snatches, C&Js, and presses with the 24K. Point being, I've spent a lot of time with the 24K. I think I'm at that point where, while I'm still getting some benefit from working with the 24K, I'm at a good spot to start working with the 32K. Mostly the change is for the sake of my psyche, but I do think that I'm approaching the point of diminishing returns with the 24K (in regard to strength, not conditioning). If I can get a similar conditioning effect with a heavier weight (which I assume will develop more strength), then that seems like a good idea.

How has the last few months of A+A training with the 24K worked out?
  • In a word, fantastic.
  • I haven't been a measurement nerd lately, but I can tell that I am getting stronger and better conditioned with regard to snatches, simply because I can do more snatches, more easily, with less rest, than I could a few months ago. I assume that this carries over to over stuff. My assumption has been somewhat validated by one off things like running a 5K, then running a mile, then pulling a 315 deadlift all in the space of an hour. I feel pretty confident that my body is going in the right direction.
  • Mild, unintentional, hypertrophy. I'm back in the 155-160 range (as opposed to the 150-155 range), which is the heaviest I've been. The last time I was this heavy I was doing fairly heavy barbell work and eating a lot/often, as opposed to kettlebells and intermittent fasting (full disclosure, I'm probably still getting a lot of calories). I'm still very lean, and (vanity alert) the cleans, presses, and snatches have really beefed up the ol' biceps, so that's always fun.
  • The Military Press. I still want to get the 1/2 BW Mil Press, even though I've put press training on hold for the last 5 weeks. That being said, I did a post-training RM test with the 32k five weeks ago, when I started my snatches+pushups program, and I did another one today after my training session. 5 weeks ago I got 2 reps each side, and today I got 3 reps per side. So that's cool.

What's the new plan?

It's very much like the old plan.
  • Two days of A+A with the 32K...
  • Followed by one day of LSD-ish stuff (runs, ruck, lighter loaded carries)...
  • With a rest day, extra snippets of LSD, and the occasional bit yoga thrown in as needed
  • GTG pushups almost every day
  • My A+A movements of choice will be the 1H swing and the C&J. I'll start by alternating them, but I reserve the right to trim down to one movement. I think the snatch does more than either of the other two exercises, but I can't snatch the 32K yet. My hope is that, in a few months, I'll be able to do snatches with the 32K. If that actually happens, I don't even know what I'll do with myself o_O. Besides, obviously, lots of snatches with the 32K.

Last edited:
April 30
Total rest day

May 1
Cook Drill w/ 16K
-12:00 (hand switches every 2:00)
-15:00 (hand switches every 1:30)
-18:00 (hand switches every 1:30)
Note-Played around with the format. The first one I just used my stop watch to time the hand switches. The second time I used my gymboss timer to switch position every 30 seconds. That felt very sustainable. Then I took 5 seconds from the overhead position and moved it to the suitcase position, so it looked like: 25 seconds overhead, 30 seconds front rack, 35 seconds suitcase position, then hand switch. I think I could probably do that sequence for 20-30 minutes.

May 2
C&P-12x3 @ 32K (only 20 minutes instead of 30)
GTG PU

May 3
KBS-1H-12x6 @ 32K (again, only 20 minutes from warm up to finish)
GTG PU

May 4
Ruck w/ Suitcase carry (16K)-1.6 km in 21 minutes w/ 35 lbs
Run-3 km in 15 minutes

May 5
KBS-1H-18x6 @ 32K
GTG PU

May 6
KBS-2H-14x8 @ 32K
GTG PU
Note: I think I'll have to do some 2H swings if I don't want to see a decrease in hip power. My grip isn't where it needs to be for powerful 1H swings (I get the bell to chest/eye height, but it's just not as crisp as it should be), and I gave myself some pretty good shoulder bruises from driving my cleans "too hard." I figure if I'm rotating 1H swings (grip and waist strength), 2H swings (hip power), and C&P (snatch prep), I won't really lose out on anything, even if my total progress isn't too fast. I might even drop the C&P for a little while. I see the [single 'bell] C&P as more of a way to prepare the body for the snatch than anything else, and I don't think I'll be snatching the 32K anytime soon.

May 7
Mowed the lawn wearing a 35 lb ruck. My GPS told me I walked 2.6 km in 65 minutes.

May 8
Cook drill w/ 16K for 30 minutes, switching hands every 1:30.

May 9
C&J-18x3 @ 32K

May 10
KBS-1H-18x6 @ 32K
-later-
Cook carry w/ 32K-24 x one side in 35 seconds, then rest 45 seconds.
Note-I'm considering switching from the typical Cook drill to a heavier carry of the same nature. I tried it out today and liked it. I definitely just need to spend more time with the 32K, in more positions. My grip, with regard to the 32K, is still very weak. Not only is it 30 percent heavier than what I've been working with, but the handle is larger in diameter as well (about 1/8 of an inch, I think).

May 11
Moved (almost) all our stuff back to Bozeman. Plenty of lifting and carrying, while fasted. Followed by LOTS of pizza.

May 12
Rest day. Totally fried from yesterday. Honestly, think it was a lot more because of the stress of moving and trying to stay organized than the actual lifting and carrying.

May 13
Finished up all the odds and ends with the old place, and moved the last pickup load of stuff to the new place.

May 14
KBS-2H-11x10 @ 32K
Note-I stopped a little before the 30 minute mark, since I was starting to lose power. Ten reps is a lot! Also, I'm going to stick to 2H swings for now, until I can do 1H swings "bette." I can do them, but not up to my standards. If more 2H swings, cleans, and carries don't help in a month or two, then I'll start working 1H swings in with sets of 2-4 reps.

May 15
C&J-18x3 @ 32K

May 16
Cook carry w/ 32K-22 x one side for 35 seconds
Note-I am pressing the bell overhead a the start of each carry, so I did 11 presses per side today, and 12 per side last time I did these. Between those presses, a couple windmills in my warmup, and the jerks, I'm actually getting pretty comfortable with pressing the 32. I'll re-test my RM in a month or two.

May 17
Rest day

May 18
KBS-2H-10x10 @ 32K

May 19
Started work at an paving company again, after being out of that kind of work for a couple years. Today was an especially long day, since we were trying to catch up on work and some things weren't prepped properly. The normal 10 hour day sort of turned into a 13+ hour day. Lots of picking stuff up, shoveling, sweeping, etc. Suffice to say, if I hadn't shown up in shape and ready to work, it could have been a bad day. Instead, it was just a long day. Also, I missed my one chance to eat (rookie mistake), and ended up fasting until 5 pm. The good news is that I din't get hungry until 4 or so, so it wasn't really a big deal.

May 20
Yoga-went to an actual class with my wife at a local studio. It was very challenging, but also very relaxing. I think we're going to try and make it a weekly thing. I definitely "felt" yesterday, but if I had to go back to work today I could.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom