all posts post new thread

Matt's Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Feb 24
PU-5x10, 4x10
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-8x4 @ 36K
KBS-2H/Overspeed-4x6 @ 36K

Feb 25
Elliptical (yes, I’m serious) for 42 minutes
Note-Took my first board exam of med school (USMLE Step 1). Rough stuff. Eight hours of computer based multiple choice questions. I don’t have good feelings about my performance, but hopefully that’s just from marinating in stress hormones all day. We had to drive a couple hours to Billings to take the exam, and based on road conditions, decided to get a hotel for the night. The roads won’t be better tomorrow, but at least it will be light out. Anyways, the hotel fitness center had an elliptical, treadmill, and spin bike. And the treadmill was broken. So 42 minutes of easy “ellipting” it was, for whatever that’s worth. I’m glad I got a chance to move today, though.

Feb 26
PU-8x10
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-12x4 @ 36K
KBS-2H/Overspeed-6x6 @ 36K

Feb 27
BJJ class and Kickboxing Class. Good to be back at it after missing a week and a half.

Feb 28
PU-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-10x4 @ 36K
KBS-2H/Overspeed-4x6 @ 36K
Note-I like this heavy/light/medium mix and match thing. It let’s me plug in easy days and hard days where it’s appropriate. I wouldn’t have felt like taking on a lot of work today, but 14 repeats was very doable. Maybe I can do some running tomorrow and hit the heavy day this weekend.

Mar 1
Ran 43 min (5.5 km), lots of snow

Mar 2
BJJ-Did some low-key rolling for 3 hours with a couple buddies. More often than not, I can’t get people together to train on a Saturday, but it’s always really nice when it comes together. Seems like we always have a bunch of “a-ha” moments since we can really slow things down and focus on our weaknesses.

Mar 3
PU-6x10
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-8x4 @ 36K, 12x6 @ 32K
KBS-2H/Overspeed-9x6 @ 36K
Note-Brought the 32 back into the mix for a higher volume day. I’ll probably do this for medium days as well. I’ve been trying to use the 36 exclusively, but I’m just not quite happy with the quality of technique. I hoped I would have it down by the time my NR’s got up around 20 again, but that’s not the case. Also, +1 to overspeed swings. My palms were getting pretty darn hot; I definitely wouldn’t have hit my NR target today if I was exclusively doing snatches. I actually had to wrap a towel around the KB handle for the last two sets. My dainty hands need to get it together.

Mar 4
BJJ Class

Mar 5
Push ups-9x10
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-8x4 @ 36K, 10x6 @ 32K
KBS-2H/Overspeed-3x6 @ 36K

Mar 6
BJJ and Kickboxing class

Mar 7
Neck work
Push ups-12x10
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-8x6 @ 32K
-later-
BJJ class
Note-I was planning on using the 36 for the snatches today, but I decided to take it easy and stick with the 32. I didn’t sleep great, I knew I was rolling tonight, and I want to get some good volume in tomorrow, before I fly out on Saturday.
I think I’m going to start training my neck again. I was doing some accessory work for BJJ, but I stopped when I felt like I had all the right parts of my body up to snuff; I think/hope that rolling is enough to keep things where they need to be. I still feel like my neck is a weak area, though. I mean, yes, the neck is a weak area for all humans (and pretty much any other animal with a neck), but I happen to have a relatively longer neck than most, which puts me at a bit of a disadvantage, mechanically speaking.

Mar 8
Rest day. Planned on doing 16-24 NR snatches and swings today, but it just wasn’t happening. I could have forced myself to do it, but I get the feeling that would have just been a bad idea. No big deal, I’ll just start my rest phase a day early.
We’re taking off to see family (and get a break from the weather) in Arizona for a few days. Should be a good time. I’ll probably do some combination of running, bodyweight A+A, and drop-in BJJ, but overall volume should be low. Probably won’t go over well if I make everyone wait an extra hour to leave for the zoo because I want to go for a run.

Mar 9 and 10
Flew down to Phoenix for a little family vacation. I have a few free days, and the family and I are ready for a change of scenery. It was 12 degrees when we got on the plane, so that meant it was finally starting to warm up... These two days were devoid of training, but there was plenty of walking and sunshine.

Mar 11
Neck work
15 rounds of:
-OAPU-1 (each side)
-Squat jumps-6
Ran 35 min (5.2 km, hooray for low elevation and dry paths)

Mar 12
BJJ (2 hours)-dropped in on a couple back to back classes. I always enjoy rolling with people for the first time. I get to learn a lot, and sometimes I can surprise them with stuff that’s old hat to the folks back home.

Mar 13
Another travel day. It was up to 25 degrees, and that was at 9 PM, no less. I think spring might be on it’s way. Fingers crossed we don’t have another blast. Second winter was no joke this year.

Mar 14
Neck work
OAPU-12x2 (each side)
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-6x4 @ 36K
-later-
BJJ class
Note-I should have used the 32 for today’s snatches. The few days off made things feel a bit heavier.
The OAPU’s were a nice change of pace from regular push ups, but 1) my left elbow seemed just a bit unhappy with me by the last couple sets and 2) I’m twisting my body more than I would like. I think I’ll throw some OAPU singles in here and there, but will probably keep doing mostly regular push ups.

Mar 15
Neck work
Ran 45 min (6.3 km)

Mar 16
Push up-6x10
OAPU- 3x1 (each side)
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-4x4 @ 36K, 6x6 @ 32K

Mar 17
Neck work. Nothing else. I was going to go for a run, but I didn’t get much sleep last night and felt like it might be better just to call it.

Mar 18
Push up-4x10
OAPU- 2x1 (each side)
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-8x4 @ 36K, 10x6 @ 32K
-later-
BJJ class

Mar 19
Ran a bunch of errands and moved some stuff to a storage unit. Should have gone for a quick run, but I didn’t make it happen.

Mar 20
Neck work
BJJ class-very low key tonight, which was nice.

Mar 21
Push up-6x10
OAPU- 3x1 (each side)
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-8x4 @ 36K, 14x6 @ 32K
Note-I’ll go ahead and dial up my volume a bit over the next few training sessions, then start a structured A+A snatching program if all is going well. It will be more volume that I usually do, but a lot of that will be with the 28K, so recovery-wise I think it will work out. My only potential concern in regarding time. I’m not sure what my clinical schedule will be, so I reserve the right to change my mind if it turns out that I my schedule is more intense than I anticipate. I’ll find out in a little over a week.

Mar 22
Ran 47 min (6.2 km)
Note-Really trying to keep the HR lower, ideally below 140.

Mar 23
Push up-8x10
OAPU- 4x1 (each side)
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-4x4 @ 36K, 10x6 @ 32K
-later-
Neck Work

Mar 24
Ran 39 min (5.8 km)
Neck work
Note- It’s not uncommon for me to “feel” my feet and knees a little at the end of a run, but today I they were a little achey (which is weird by itself) at the start. I didn’t figure it out until I was going to bed tonight. I’ve been adding a little starch to dinner (about 20 grams or so) for the past 4 or 5 days to see how well I tolerate it. I was hoping that, after about 15 months away from starch and sugar, I could start intelligently incorporating some basic stuff back into the diet. As I look back at the last 3 days, I realize that I’ve been more tired, less mentally sharp, had a lower mood, and my joints have been feeling creaky. Not bad, but noticeable. A few times a month I’ll have a day where I’m off, and I just had three of those days in a row, and today was really noticeable. So I guess I have my answer regarding whether or not the starch is gonna work.
Oh well, it’s not like I was hoping to transition away from meat or something. Steaks still taste pretty great and grilling season is just around the bend; maybe I’ll try plants again next year.

Mar 25
BJJ class

Mar 26
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-10x4 @ 36K, 14x6 @ 32K
OAPU- 6x1 (each side)
-later-
Neck Work
Note-Decided to work the OAPU in between sets of snatches instead of doing them all before hand. Might save a little time.
In other news, it’s been a day and half without starch and I feel pretty awesome. The tiger is waking up again, after a few days of carb-induced drowsiness. I’m a bit sad that things didn’t go the way I wanted, but at least I know what foods to go back to if I want to feel good. We moved our stuff into the new place today, and celebrated with some rib steaks. Could be worse.

Mar 27
Ran 46 min (6.7 km)
Neck work

Mar 28
Rest day. Looking at my schedule, I should still have enough time to train on a regular basis. I start 211 tomorrow.

Mar 29
Neck work
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x8 @ 32K
Goblet Curl-2x8 @ 32K
Snatch-211 day 1
OAPU- 5x1 (each side)
Note-Starting 211 with 28, 32, and 36 kilos. I haven’t used the 28 for a while. It sure moves fast these days; seems like not too long ago I was all amped up just to be moving beyond the 24 for snatches.

Mar 30
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-211 day 2
OAPU- 7x1 (each side)
Note-Don’t normally do snatches back to back, but yesterday was easy and things are about to get busy, sooo…

Mar 31
Neck work
Ran 32 min (4.6 km)
Note-I need to start bumping these distances up, but the back to back A+A days kind of wore me out. Maybe I’ll shift focus to LED work once 211 wraps up.

Apr 1
Rest day. In other words, late evening at the clinic.

Apr 2
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-2x6 @ 36K
Snatch-211 day 3
OAPU- 9x1 (each side)
Neck work
Note-Not very explosive today. Probably because I didn’t sleep too well, which is probably because I didn’t train yesterday. Oh well. My hands held up really well, even though this is the longest session I’ve done in a while. Probably because I wasn’t very explosive today.

Apr 3
Ran 24 min (3.3 km)
Note-Had a really tough time keeping the HR low. Couldn’t really get it below 140 without walking. Decided to cut things a little short.

Apr 4
Push up-5x1
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 4
OAPU- 7x1 (each side)

Apr 5
Rest day.

Apr 6
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 5
OAPU- 5x1 (each side)
Neck work
Note-Short session today. Had plenty of gas left in the tank so I pressed the 28 for 5, and grabbed the 36 to see what I could with 1/2 BW. Two reps on each side, not bad. The second press on the right had a little too much lean, but I’ll take it.

You mention trying to add starch to your dinners and feeling bad. Do you think there could be a necessary adaptation period with it? Like for many starting to try out low carb, we recommend toughing it out for a week or two to see how it feels when the body gets used to it. Any chance of something similar with adding starch?

That said, I haven't really experienced such adaptation periods the last couple of times I have done my experiments. Do you believe in or see reason behind what some call metabolic flexibility?

@Antti I do think there's a possibility that it's just an adaptation phase, but there's just a couple things that strike me as unusual when compared to the adaptation phases I've experienced with IF and carnivore. Previously, my only issue with adaptation was some fatigue, and it was fairly mild. In this case, it seems to be interfering with sleep quality, mood, recovery, and potentially even inflammation (given how achey I was getting). Some of that I could just chalk up to the very first issue, impaired sleep, but even then things seemed out of proportion. None of the past adaptations have really been that unpleasant, which is not the case here.
All my whining aside, I'm sure it's still likely possible that I could re-adapt to carbs given enough time, and starting at a low enough dose. For me, right now, it's just not worth it. I feel good right now, so it's not like I'm trying to fix anything by adding anything back. Mostly it's just a social issue, and I was hoping I could seamlessly add in a bit of starch without any issues. I couldn't, so I'm just not going to worry about it for now.

Regarding metabolic flexibility, I think some of us are born more metabolically flexible than others, and everyone can potentially lose that flexibility. Something I think I've shared somewhere else is that I spent a decade or so eating a pretty high volume of sugar on a near daily basis. I think that impaired my ability to effectively handle dietary carbohydrate, and thus made a long term impact on my metabolic flexibility. We see this often in diabetics. The sugar seems to cause the dysfunction, once the dysfunction is established they then lose the ability to handle starch safely, and even after they use a low-carb diet to cure/remit their diabetes, a "normal and healthy" amount of carbs can still push them back over the edge. I was certainly never that severe, but I think I'm following a similar pattern.
Luckily, I don't think metabolic flexibility is necessary for health. I think eating a metabolically sound diet is necessary for health. That diet may look different based on someone's level of metabolic flexibility. I think one can promote the development of greater metabolic flexibility through exercise, intermittent fasting, and keeping one's day-to-day diet fairly low-carb, although there is a limit to how well it can be developed. From a practicality standpoint, it makes a lot of sense to try to improve metabolic flexibility, especially if one's lifestyle is such that they often travel or eat socially. This was the motivation for my last addition of starch.
I will say, I don't notice much in the way of issues if I eat a small amount of starch in one meal based on the handful of times I've done this; it's high doses and/or the repeated consumption over multiple days that seems to cause issues. This gives me a rough idea of how metabolically flexible I currently am. I can eat a wide variety of animal fat and protein, in various ratios, as well as small amounts of plant foods in isolated events (not sugar though, that will still f&$% me up pretty good). More flexible than some, less flexible than others. As long as hamburgers remain a normal part of American restaurant food, I'll do just fine in most travel/social situations.

@Antti I do think there's a possibility that it's just an adaptation phase, but there's just a couple things that strike me as unusual when compared to the adaptation phases I've experienced with IF and carnivore. Previously, my only issue with adaptation was some fatigue, and it was fairly mild. In this case, it seems to be interfering with sleep quality, mood, recovery, and potentially even inflammation (given how achey I was getting). Some of that I could just chalk up to the very first issue, impaired sleep, but even then things seemed out of proportion. None of the past adaptations have really been that unpleasant, which is not the case here.
All my whining aside, I'm sure it's still likely possible that I could re-adapt to carbs given enough time, and starting at a low enough dose. For me, right now, it's just not worth it. I feel good right now, so it's not like I'm trying to fix anything by adding anything back. Mostly it's just a social issue, and I was hoping I could seamlessly add in a bit of starch without any issues. I couldn't, so I'm just not going to worry about it for now.

Regarding metabolic flexibility, I think some of us are born more metabolically flexible than others, and everyone can potentially lose that flexibility. Something I think I've shared somewhere else is that I spent a decade or so eating a pretty high volume of sugar on a near daily basis. I think that impaired my ability to effectively handle dietary carbohydrate, and thus made a long term impact on my metabolic flexibility. We see this often in diabetics. The sugar seems to cause the dysfunction, once the dysfunction is established they then lose the ability to handle starch safely, and even after they use a low-carb diet to cure/remit their diabetes, a "normal and healthy" amount of carbs can still push them back over the edge. I was certainly never that severe, but I think I'm following a similar pattern.
Luckily, I don't think metabolic flexibility is necessary for health. I think eating a metabolically sound diet is necessary for health. That diet may look different based on someone's level of metabolic flexibility. I think one can promote the development of greater metabolic flexibility through exercise, intermittent fasting, and keeping one's day-to-day diet fairly low-carb, although there is a limit to how well it can be developed. From a practicality standpoint, it makes a lot of sense to try to improve metabolic flexibility, especially if one's lifestyle is such that they often travel or eat socially. This was the motivation for my last addition of starch.
I will say, I don't notice much in the way of issues if I eat a small amount of starch in one meal based on the handful of times I've done this; it's high doses and/or the repeated consumption over multiple days that seems to cause issues. This gives me a rough idea of how metabolically flexible I currently am. I can eat a wide variety of animal fat and protein, in various ratios, as well as small amounts of plant foods in isolated events (not sugar though, that will still f&$% me up pretty good). More flexible than some, less flexible than others. As long as hamburgers remain a normal part of American restaurant food, I'll do just fine in most travel/social situations.

Interesting, and I pretty much agree, and I've had similar experiences myself.

I wonder how many blanket statements there really are that we can make when it comes to the diet. It's sad, how the typical material offered to people is nothing but them.

I wonder how many blanket statements there really are that we can make when it comes to the diet. It's sad, how the typical material offered to people is nothing but them.
Not too many, I would wager. The statements you could make would likely be too broad to be very helpful. I do wish that there was more of an established method to help people figure out how to eat best for their body. I think there are a few out there, but many of them are either too narrow in what they consider to be a healthy human diet, or they're based on some kind of pseudo-science. If there is a well developed protocol out there, it's certainly not common.
I suppose I'm as guilty as the next person. It's much easier to tell someone to "Cut processed carbs and eat more fat and protein from whole foods" than it is to explain how and why they should engage in a process of self experimentation for the next few months or years o_O. Most people would rather just have the short quip of "do this" style advice, anyways.

I think the main thing I would look for is changes that are clear and consistent. The carnivore experiment is a great one because it's so simple. Going on carnivore it's hard to make a mistake in the experiment. It's much harder to cut 200kcal daily and see how it affects your wellbeing and physique. Something like IF is also simple, just eat in a specific timeframe and see if it helps or not. The more simple the experiment the more true the data is and therefore trustworthy and valuable.

Going back to the discussion on carbs, have you found that carb timing would play a role in your diet? Like would having your carbs after a hard training session make you feel different from eating them in an opposite situation?

I think the main thing I would look for is changes that are clear and consistent. The carnivore experiment is a great one because it's so simple. Going on carnivore it's hard to make a mistake in the experiment. It's much harder to cut 200kcal daily and see how it affects your wellbeing and physique. Something like IF is also simple, just eat in a specific timeframe and see if it helps or not. The more simple the experiment the more true the data is and therefore trustworthy and valuable.
I think this is huge. The more nuance to an experiment, the more educated the experimenter needs to be. The simpler the process, the more effectively it can be used by the general population.

have you found that carb timing would play a role in your diet? Like would having your carbs after a hard training session make you feel different from eating them in an opposite situation?
It's definitely possible. I did the carbs with dinner this last time so that it would be consistent each day. Seeing as that didn't work out the way I hoped, I think the next time I try to add carbs back in it will be in that very context. Only taking in carbs when I know they will be most readily accepted and have a minimum impact on my blood sugar. I would probably limit myself to only a few days per week as well. It might be a while before I'm motivated to go another round, though. I went something like 8 months or so between carb reintroduction experiments last time. I'm not a very socially motivated person, and that's really the only reason I have to bring carbs back in.

Apr 7
Ran 42 min (5.7 km)

Apr 8
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 6
OAPU- 9x1 (each side)
Neck work

Apr 9
BJJ solo drills-45 minutes
Note-Still haven’t found anybody to train with in Dillon. I figure I can still keep the movement patterns fresh and get some aerobic benefit, even if I’m just rolling around on the floor by myself. My wife says it’s the saddest thing she’s ever seen ROFL, but I actually found it surprisingly refreshing. Feels good to dust off the old movement patterns. Today I did:
Shrimps
Bridges
Sprawls
Triangle sit ups
Rolls
Hip ups
Duck walks
Half guard push/pulls
Technical stand ups
Thread the needles
Neck work
I’m sure I’ll adjust things a little with time, but overall I like this rotation. I set my gymboss app for 2 minute intervals, and just do each one for a couple minutes at whatever pace is sustainable. I’ll have to wear the HRM next time and see, but I would guess that I spent most of my time between 110 and 140 bpm, with a few spikes here and there.

Apr 10
Had a busy day, didn’t feel up to 40+ sets of snatches, so I just did some more BJJ drills and played with my son for a bit before dinner.

Apri 11
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 7
OAPU- 9x1 (each side)
Note-Had to replace the last 6 sets of snatches (all at 28 kg) with 6 sets of overspeed swings with the 36 kg. Hands just couldn’t quite take the heat. Oh well, 190 snatches is still the most I’ve done in a long time.

Apr 12
BJJ Solo drills-39 minutes
Note-Wore the HRM today. Looks like I spent most my time between 90 and 145, averaged 121. I’ll probably alternate running and BJJ drills for my aerobic work, or use the drills on days I need to stay around the house. Still working on getting some actual training partners in the mix. I have some leads, though; time will tell.

Apr 13
Rest day.

Apr 14
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 8
OAPU- 9x1 (each side)

Apr 15
Ran 52 minutes (7.3 km)
Note-This was a really nice run. I think partly because I haven’t ran for about a week, and partly because I found a nice quite road to run on. Either way, just felt very relaxed the whole time. Still trying (not very hard) to slow the pace a little more. I usually operate around 135-145 bpm. If I go slower, it takes more mental effort to keep my feet moving quickly. Given my age and how good I feel during/after my runs, I’m not too concerned that my HR is too high.

Apr 16
Busy day. Clinic, dinner, then a couple hours of self-imposed obligations. Fun stuff, but I think I’m going to have to plan on not getting much training done on Tuesdays for the foreseeable future.

Apr 17
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 9
OAPU- 11x1 (each side)

Apr 18
BJJ solo drills-35 minutes

Apr 19
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 10
OAPU- 9x1 (each side)

Apr 20
Ran 63 minutes (7.9 km)
Neck work

Apr 21
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 11
OAPU- 5x1 (each side)

Apr 22
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 12
OAPU- 3x1 (each side)
Neck work

Apr 23
Rest day

Apr 24
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 13
OAPU- 6x1 (each side)

Apr 25
Rest day. At least my long clinic days are alternating nicely with my 211 days. We’ll see how long that holds up.

Apr 26
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 14
OAPU- 13x1 (each side)
Note-Holy cow. 50 repeats is the most I’ve done in a looong time. I was able to save my hands quite bit by not chalking up until I was doing repeats with the 36; I think this is actually the least tender they’ve been after a long session. Pleasantly surprised by how easily I handled the 32 without chalk. It wasn’t really necessary at all. Also pleasantly surprised with how much volume I was able to move. Snatched 7.8 metric tons today. I’ve never tracked it before, but I feel like that must be some kind of PR for me. The last 1/3 or so was a bit of a grind, but that likely has more to do with my sleep for the last couple nights.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom