all posts post new thread

Matt's Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Apr 27
Rest day (an actual rest day this time)

Apr 28
Ran 58 min (7.2 km)

Apr 29
Rest day. A little frustrating. I went to go pick up some wrestling mats, but we didn’t have enough people to lift them. By the time I got home I had burned up my training time.

Apr 30
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 15
OAPU- 10x1 (each side)
Note-This is actually the training session from day 16. With the way things have been this week, I wanted to get the 40 NR in while I knew I had the time. If all goes well I can do the 22 NR that I was “supposed” to do today, tomorrow.

May 1
Ran 36 min (4.7 km)
Note-I was going to do that lower volume A+A day, but between some sleep dep and yesterday’s session, I just decided to take the new canine addition to the family out for a test run. I was a little concerned that he’d be all over the place like he does when we walk, but after about the first 10 minutes and a handful of leash tugs, he had the whole running thing pretty well figured out.

May 2
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 16
OAPU- 6x1 (each side)
-later-
BJJ-10 minutes!!!!
Note-Got those doggone mats moved into place, and even got a little wrasslin’ in before I had to leave for dinner! First time doing BJJ with an actual person in over a month!

May 3
Rest day. Things are picking up, so I think I’m gong to have fewer training sessions than I would like. I’m hoping to still hit 3 A+A sessions, an LED session, and a BJJ session each week, but we’ll see.

May 4
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 17
OAPU- 6x1 (each side)
-later-
BJJ-45 minutes
Note-Taught a BJJ 101 class for a few hours today. Not very physical on my part, but a lot of fun to see everyone engage and learn. I think things are going to become super fun here in a month or two. Tonight I got in some impromptu rolling with the one other guy in town who knows BJJ, which was a lot of fun.

May 5
Rest day. I planned on at least doing a short run today, but then opted otherwise. Probably pushed a little too hard on the BJJ yesterday. Worth it.

May 6
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 18
OAPU- 6x1 (each side)

May 7
Rest day

May 8
Coached BJJ for about 90 minutes. Note exactly very physically demanding, but that’s ok. Right now I’m in the investment phase. Another couple months and things should liven up nicely.

May 9
Push up-5x10
Goblet Squat-2x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-2x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 19…sort of
OAPU- 7x1 (each side)
Notes-I was in a rush today, but didn’t want to put things off for another day. Instead of 38 repeats, I only got 28. I got 12 of the 14 heavy repeats I was supposed to get, though. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

May 10
Ran 33 min (3.7 km)
-later-
-BJJ-Coaching and rolling for 90 minutes. Probably only 10 minutes of that being full speed stuff.
Note-Definitely a little under-recovered. I could tell pretty easily anyways, and then I proved it to myself when my HR wouldn’t drop below 140 for the whole run.

May 11
Snatch-211 day 20
OAPU- 6x1 (each side)
Note-No warm up due to a bit of an odd situation. Things went well. Makes me wonder how much I need to bother with the warm up. Might trim it down in the future.

May 12
Neck work

May 13
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-1x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 21
OAPU- 11x1 (each side)
Note-I cut down my warm up a little bit, and I don’t think I lost anything because of it. It’s nice to have the last long session of 211 in the books. Two more to go before I can go back to my 20-45 minute sessions ;).

May 14
Rest day

May 15
BJJ-Mostly coaching- 90 minutes
Snatches-70 @ 24K.
Note-I signed up for a BJJ comp in a few days, so I’m considering this my “peaking” session. Just doing snatches with the 24 until I’m sucking wind real good. Was going to go for 100, but I felt like I had what I needed around 70. Looking at my pace, I actually don’t think I could pass the SFG snatch test right now, without at least one or two peaking sessions first. Also worth noting that I’ve been in a pretty stout caloric deficit for a couple days. I need to drop about 5 pounds to make weight, so I’m dropping my food intake right now, then I’ll restrict water and salt for about 24 hours prior to the event. It’s a “morning of” weigh in, so I need to cut it fairly close.

May 16
Rest day

May 17
Rest day
Note-This is probably the most well-rested I’ve been since formal classes ended a few months ago. Very thirsty, though. God bless folks that actually do “real” weight cuts.

May 18
BJJ competition-Two 5 minute rounds. Lost both of them, though not badly. A little disappointed, but not especially surprised. I haven’t been doing much training for a month and a half, and certainly didn’t do any competition prep. It was good to get my feet wet, and a beneficial wake-up call. If I want to continue to make progress, I need to find a way to continue to train with people nearer my skill level. Coaching people helps me refine my understanding of the game, but it won’t develop the actual skillset that I want. There’s an MMA gym about an hour away, in Butte, and I’m going to see if it’s feasible to head up there once or twice a month. Still not ideal, but much better than what I’m doing now. Any more than once or twice a month would likely be unwise, given that I actually have “real life” obligations that are far more important.

Alright. It was a fun rabbit hole for a week, now to get back to business. Two more sessions left of 211.

May 19
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x10 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-1x10 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 22
OAPU- 10x1 (each side)
-later-
BJJ-Low key rolling for 90 minutes

May 20
Neck work

May 21
BJJ solo drills-15 minutes
Snatch-4x8 @ 32K
OAPU-4x1 (each side)
Note-Just a little sumthin’ sumthin’ to tide me through. Better than nothin’.

May 22
Rest day. I guess. I get more rest days than I’d like these days. I almost got a training session in, but almost only counts with horse shoes and hand grenades.

May 23
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x8 @ 28K
Goblet Curl-1x8 @ 28K
Snatch-211 day 23
OAPU- 8x1 (each side)
Neck work

May 24
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x8 @ 32K
Goblet Curl-1x8 @ 32K
Snatch-12x10
OAPU- 3x2 (each side)
Note-I had some trepidation regarding the sets of 10 snatches with 32 kg. I did them at the beginning of the year, and had had enough of them after about 4 weeks. Today, they were not as difficult as I remember them being. My peak in January was a session that involved 8 sets of 10 (and a few sets of 5, but still less volume than today), and that left me feeling more worked than I feel now.

May 25
Ran 31 min (4.0 km)

May 26
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-1x6 @ 36K
Snatch-16x5
OAPU- 4x2 (each side)

May 27
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x8 @ 32K
Goblet Curl-1x8 @ 32K
Snatch-10x10
OAPU- 4x2 (each side)
-Neck work
Note-Adjustment time. It takes me about the same amount of time to complete my high volume day with 32 kg as it does to complete my low volume day with the 36 kg. Bearing that in mind, instead of alternating the 36 and 32, I’ll probably do most of my high and medium volume days with the 32, and my low volume days with the 36. I might deviate from that on a weekend or something when I have more time, but otherwise that will be the plan.

May 27-(Addendum)
BJJ-2 hours of rolling. Good stuff.

May 28
Rest day

May 29
Snatches-4x10 @ 32K
BJJ-1 hour coaching, 1 hour rolling.
Note-Definitely feeling it. Two hard BJJ sessions in the last 3 days. Gotta take advantage of training opportunities when I can, though.

May 30
Rest Day

May 31
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x8 @ 32K
Goblet Curl-1x8 @ 32K
Snatch-12x10 @ 32K
OAPU- 8x2 (each side)
Neck work

June 1
Hiked up to some hot springs in Idaho with the wife, son, and some friends. Just less than 2 miles and 900 feet of elevation, with most of the elevation gain in the last 1/2 mile. Half of us went up went right up, while my wife and the other half of the group stayed with the boy (3 years old). I dropped my pack at the campsite and then headed back to help with the kiddo. They had made it a little over halfway, and I guess he walked a lot of it. He walked pretty well on his own until we hit the steep part, then I carried him up most of that.

And the hot springs were great.

June 2
Didn’t sleep very well, for a handful of reasons common to camping. Hiked back down with my pack and carried the boy most of the way. Between the 35 pound pack and 40 pound kiddo, I'm glad that I made two trips on the way up. The way down was fine, though.

June 3
Rest day. Partly due to being tired, partly due to needing to catch up on studying.

June 4
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-1x6 @ 36K
Snatch-16x5 @ 36K
OAPU- 4x2 (each side)
Neck work

June 5
Snatch-4x10 @ 32K
OAPU-4x2
BJJ-1 hour coaching, 1/2 hour rolling

June 6
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x8 @ 32K
Goblet Curl-1x8 @ 32K
Snatch-8x10 @ 32K, 4x5 @ 36K
OAPU- 5x2 (each side)

June 7
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x8 @ 32K
Goblet Curl-1x8 @ 32K
Snatch-12x10 @ 32K
OAPU- 6x2 (each side)

June 8
Run 55 minutes (7.1 km)
Note-Finally got a run in. First time in a while. Felt good, but I could tell that my feet had softened up just a bit.

June 9
Snatch-4x10 @ 32K
OAPU-4x2
Run 30 min
Note-I might start taking advantage of the extra flexibility I have on weekends to do more running, since it doesn’t seem to happen during the week. With the A+A work, I can get home, start working out, and have dinner made by the time I finish.

June 10
Rest day

June 11
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-1x6 @ 36K
Snatch-18x5 @ 36K
OAPU- 4x2 (each side)

June 12
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x8 @ 32K
Goblet Curl-1x8 @ 32K
Snatch-10x10 @ 32K
OAPU- 5x2 (each side)

June 13
Rest day

June 14
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x8 @ 32K
Goblet Curl-1x8 @ 32K
Snatch-12x10 @ 32K
OAPU- 6x2 (each side)

June 15
Ran 62 min (7.2 km)
Snatch-6x5 @ 36K
OAPU-1x10
OAOLPU-2x1

June 16
Snatch-10x8, 10x6 @ 32K
OAPU-7x2
1 clean and 3 jerks x 5 @ double 32K
Note-I like the 6-8 rep range for the 32 kg snatches. Good stuff.

June 17
Snatch-4x6 @ 32K
OAPU-2x2
BJJ-Coached for 1.5 hours

June 18
Push up-3x10
Goblet Squat-1x6 @ 36K
Goblet Curl-1x6 @ 36K
Snatch-16x5 @ 36K
OAPU- 4x2 (each side)

June 19
BJJ class at my old gym, happened to be in the right town at the right time. Good stuff.

June 20
Snatch-4x8 @ 32K
BJJ-Sort of. My 13 year old cousin-in-law is in town visiting, so we messed around for an hour or so. He mostly just wanted to punch things, so he put on gloves and tried to nail me while I “worked on my takedowns.” Pretty good session, actually.

June 21
Push up-1x20
Goblet Curl-1x10 @ 32K
Snatch-6x6, 8x8 @ 32K
OAPU- 5x2 (each side)
-later-
More work with the cuz; about 90 minutes. More takedown work for me, but showed him how to salvage it by putting me in his guard on the way down. Also went over how to take a fight to the ground and establish good position when the stand-up game isn’t going the way we want.

June 22
Ran 73 min (9.7 km)
Snatch ladder-1, 2, 3, 4, 5 reps each side with the 36K

June 23
BJJ-About and hour of solid rolling with a buddy, then about 30 minutes of takedown work with the cuz. He mostly just watched me as I tried to avoid getting squished too much by a training partner who has about 100 lbs on me.
Hyperextended my right thumb at the MCP joint. The end of my thumb got stuck on my buddy’s arm as he moved it quickly. I heard a bit of a crunch and seemed to have gained some extra range of motion in my thumb (abduction at the MCP joint). Doesn’t seem like too bad of a sprain, though. I was able to tape my thumb to my hand and keep rolling with minimal pain. There isn’t much swelling right now (4 hours later) and there’s definitely less than 30 degrees of extra movement, so keeping my fingers crossed that it’s just a mild case of skier’s thumb.

June 25
Rest day.

June 26
PU-1x20
Snatch (left hand)-10x6 @ 32K
KBS-1H (right hand)-10x9 @ 32K
OAPU-6x2
Note-No overhead work with the right hand today.

June 27
PU-1x20
Snatch-10x6 @ 32K
OAPU-3x2
Note-Barely time for some quick sets tonight. The thumb joint seems to be able to support the ‘bell overhead with minimal pain. Technically not "skier's thumb," because most of the damage is to the ligament on the palm side of my thumb. Thankfully, this lets me support some weight on that joint, as long as there isn't a lot of leverage on it. I think I actually damaged both joints of the thumb pretty good, but they’re on the mend.

June 28
Rest day (schedule induced)

June 29
Push up-1x20
Snatch-8x6, 8x8 @ 32
OAPU-6x2

June 30
Ran 47 min (6 km)

July 1
Push up-1x20
Snatch-1x6 @ 32
OAPU-5x2
Note-I haven’t worked with t he 36 since spraining my thumb a week ago. I probably won’t until the pain (which isn’t bad right now) gets a little better. The overhead grip doesn’t seem to aggravate things per se, although I can feel a little twinge on most reps. No reason to push my luck.

July 2
Rest day. Haven’t been sleeping well, mostly due to our 13 year old houseguest. Strange how sensitive to disruption our routines can be.

July 3
Ran 46 min (5.7 km)
Note-Not quite up to a snatch session, but the idea of doing nothing two days in a row is galling. And it felt good once I got going. I should get some good sleep tonight.

July 4
Push up-1x20
Snatch-8x6, 8x8 @ 32
OAPU-6x2

July 5
Push up-1x20
Snatch-10x6 @ 32
OAPU-2x3
BJJ-Takedown drills for 45 minutes

July 6
Push up-1x20
Snatch-8x6, 6x8 @ 32, 6x5 @ 36K
OAPU-4x3
Note-Good to bring back the 36K, even if just for a few sets. It didn’t really aggravate my thumb, and I don’t feel like I really lost anything. Turns out, moving 70 pounds as fast as you can is pretty similar to moving 80 pounds as fast as you can. The 36 still chews up my hands more than the 32. I’m not ready to bring the 36 back in as the exclusive ‘bell for my low-volume sessions, but it won’t be too long.

July 7
Run 67 min (8.8 km)
-later-
BJJ-Drilled 30 minutes, coached and rolled for 60.

July 8
Push up-1x20
Snatch-12x6 @ 32
OAPU-3x3
BJJ-Coached for 90 minutes

July 9
Rest day. Haven’t slept well the last couple days, it’s starting to catch up with me.

July 10
BJJ-Coached 60 minutes. Basically another rest day. I thought this might happen, but oh well. One extra rest day won’t kill me.

July 11
Push up-1x20
Snatch-12x6 @ 32, 6x5 @ 36
OAPU-4x3

July 12
Rest day. I was all pumped to go home and train, and then realized that I had already made plans. Bummer, but at least the plans involved good people and a pit BBQ.

July 13
Push up-1x20
Snatch-14x6, 8x8 @ 32
OAPU-3x5

July 14
Ran 52 min (6.7 km)
Note-First part of my run was in the sun (summer just hit in the last week or so), and I was seriously questioning why I do this sh*t. Then I got to the college campus and just started doing laps around the buildings, mostly staying in the shade. Made all the difference in the world. Very enjoyable. Normally I prefer to be out in the open, but I might be making an exception for the next few couple months.

July 14 (evening)
Push up-1x20
Snatch-8x6 @ 32
Goblet carry-2 @ 32
OAPU-1x5
Note-I’ve thought for a while that if I were to just add one thing, it would be a loaded carry. I think I’ll put my OAPU’s halfway to the back shelf, just doing a few sets of 5, and throw 1-3 carries into each session. I’m not going to bother measuring time or distance, though. As far as I’m concerned, it’s an accessory lift. I’m just going to walk around until I start to get tired. With goblet carries it doesn’t take too long before the biceps start to bark.

July 15
Push up-1x20
Snatch-10x6 @ 32, 4x5 @ 36
Goblet carry-1 @ 32, 2 @ 36
OAPU-1x5

July 16
Push up-1x20
Snatch-8x6, 6x8 @ 32
Goblet carry-2 @ 32
OAPU-2x5

July 17
Ran 59 min (7.6 km)
Note-Nice cool morning after a rainy night. The weather is being weird, but I’ll take it.

July 18
Push up-1x20
Snatch-10x6, 8x8 @ 32
Goblet carry-2 @ 32
OAPU-3x5

July 19
Ran 34 min (3.9 km)

July 20
Push up-1x20
Snatch-10x6 @ 32, 4x5 @ 36
Goblet carry-1 @ 32, 1 @ 36
OAPU-1x5
Note-I only touch the 36 once or twice a week, but for the last few weeks I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how light it feels. Less of a grind, more of a quick lift.

July 21
Push up-1x20
Snatch-10x6 @ 32
Hack carry-2 @ 32
OAPU-1x5
Note-Been feeling kind of run down for the last day or two. Maybe a sleep issue? I’ve also been eating more dairy than normal this last week or two. I dunno. Took it easy today. I’ll go to bed early tonight and cut the excess dairy for a few days and see what happens.

July 22
Rest day. Headed to a conference in Missouri tomorrow, so we’ll see what kind of training I can do. I’ll should be able to make it to an actual BJJ gym, so that will take precedent over any other training if I can make it happen.

July 24
Push ups-1x20
Dumbbell snatch-16x4 @ 65 lbs
Farmer carry-3 @ 65+65 lbs
OAPU-3x5
Note-Hotel fitness room workout. At least they had something heavy. I'm gonna feel the extra ROM of those DB snatches in my hammies tomorrow, though. Followed it up with a pound of brisket from the spot down the street. Kansas City ain't too bad.

Whoops, looks like I missed a day around the 22nd. I did some snatching and coached some BJJ somewhere in there.

July 25
BJJ- Class for about 75 min, mostly drilling with a few rounds of rolling. Soooo nice to get back into a regular class. Coaching is fun, but it’s pretty great to just show up and roll with people who know what they’re doing. I’m not in quite as good of “BJJ shape” as I was when I was training more (duh!), but I’m actually not as bad as I thought I would be. At least I know that I can still function in that environment.

July 26
BJJ-Another class at another gym. Had to Uber out to this one (the other was just a mile walk), but it was worth it. Two straight days of BJJ followed by brisket. Talk about a winning recipe.

July 27
Rest day-The exact opposite of a winning recipe. Went home. 3 hours in the airport, 4 hours on airplanes, and 2 hours in the truck. I should have done some mobility work in the airport or something.

July 28
Rest day-And the poor get poorer. Spent (literally) all day learnin’. I could have done some pistols and push ups here and there, but did I? Nope. Someday I’ll learn.

July 29
Shoulder work (rotational, swinging stuff with a 4 kg ‘bell between sets)
Snatch-12x6, 4x8 @ 32
Goblet carry-2 @ 32
OAPU-2x5
Note-Oof, ouch, my back. Four days without snatches leads to some tight post-snatch rhomboids. Tried to emulate some of that club swinging stuff with a 4 kg ‘bell to loosen things up. Seemed to work alright.

July 30
Shoulder work
Snatch-12x6, 2x8 @ 32
Hack carry-2 @ 32
OAPU-2x5
Note-I kinda like the bastardized club stuff. Might have to go buy a sledgehammer or something.

July 31
OAPU-GTG-4x5

Hammer work
Snatch-8x6, 8x8 @ 32
Goblet carry-4 @ 32
Note-The “hammer work” is just swinging around a short sledgehammer between sets of snatches.
I had an epiphany today. Like most of my epiphanies, it was just remembering and applying something obvious. If I do my OAPU in a GTG fashion, I have more time for loaded carries during my training session. Neat.

Aug 1
OAPU-GTG-3x5

Hammer work
Ran 69 min (7.7 km) with 2x5 second sprints tossed in

Aug 2
OAPU-GTG-1x5

Hammer work
Snatch-4x6, 4x8 @ 32, 4x5 @ 36
Hack carry- 1 @ 32, 2 @ 36
Note-I might drop the hack carries. One main reason I brought them in was to add a little extra grip work, but fiddling around with the hammer seems to be addressing that just fine. Between the snatches, hammer work, and hack carries, I was definitely feeling my forearms today.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom