all posts post new thread

Matt's Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Snowman- I'm really enjoying reading your log. I see that you more often than not snatch near daily, waving weight and length. Is this to maintain your groove? I ask as I started back to A&A training yesterday with 16 sets of 3 with my 32. I'm thinking of adding in some sets with my 24/28 on other days to keep myself in a good groove and maintain and improve upon form, is this something you would recommend. I'm a BJJ guy as well, I try and get 2-4 sessions a week, I think of it as power yoga. Thanks and have a great day!

I see that you more often than not snatch near daily, waving weight and length. Is this to maintain your groove? I ask as I started back to A&A training yesterday with 16 sets of 3 with my 32.
Ultimately, it's my attempt to solve a volume problem. The "ideal" way to do A+A is with long sessions (20-40 repeats, generally) 2-4 times a week. I rarely have time to do those kinds of sessions. The next best thing, in my mind, is shorter sessions more frequently.

One of the things Al brings up is that strength (and power) is simply a matter of accumulated volume. The pattern and timing of that volume doesn't matter very much. For aerobic conditioning, it's a matter of time spent in a specific metabolic state. Every time you start a new training session, it takes some time to get into that state again, which means that the first portion of each training session is sub-optimal. For example, a single 20 repeat A+A session will have the same effect on power, and a better effect on endurance, when compared to two 10 repeat sessions done on the same day. Since I'm doing a few hours of BJJ each week (and was LSD running when I was short on training partners), I'm not as worried about the aerobic development. The endurance that comes from the A+A work is icing on the cake, and accumulating volume any way I can will ensure that the power development stays on course.

The waving of weight is less planned, and more on an as-needed basis. I took my 24 kg to my BJJ gym since I never use it. Now I do a few repeats of fast snatches before training starts, which lets me add just a little bit to that total weekly volume. I tend to use the 32 if I'm not feeling too great (which is pretty rare, thankfully), or if I'm traveling (which always seems to suck the recovery out of me). If I have enough energy to train at all, then I have enough energy to snatch the 32. At this point I've transitioned my primary 'bell from the 32 to the 36, and that's where most of my volume comes from now.

I'm thinking of adding in some sets with my 24/28 on other days to keep myself in a good groove and maintain and improve upon form, is this something you would recommend.
I think this is a good idea. Short, light sessions will definitely help your snatch groove, which will carry over to your long sessions. The only thing to be cautious about is if it cuts into your recovery. If you find yourself cutting your "real" A+A sessions shorter due to fatigue, then dial it back. Those repeats are "worth more" from an endurance perspective if they're occurring during a single, long session.

I'm a BJJ guy as well, I try and get 2-4 sessions a week, I think of it as power yoga. Thanks and have a great day!
Good deal! I've finally been able to start training again since I moved a few weeks ago, and it's been amazing. I almost forgot how much fun it was. Definitely power yoga. Or assisted yoga ROFL

Awesome response @Snowman ! I really appreciate the amount of detail. Thanks. I'm probably going to start adding in an extra day or so in a month or so. I'm just working on 3 rep sets, slowly building up time. I'll increase reps when I feel like it. Thanks again.

Oct 21
Mace work
Push ups-4x20
Snatch-6x5 @ 36
-later-
BJJ-1.5 hours, Gi

Oct 22
Mace work, rows, reverse wrist curls, neck work
Push ups-8x20
Snatch-12x5 @ 36
Run 30 min w/ 2x4 second sprints
Note-Feeling better, but intentionally kept today light. I’m hoping to train BJJ 2-3 out of the next 4 days. My break from school is over, but I’m doing a 2 week radiology rotation before I start my “real” rotations. It’s pretty chill. Still plenty of time for BJJ. I’m basically still on break :D.

Oct 23
Mace work
Push ups-4x20
Snatch-6x6 @ 24
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi

Oct 24
Mace work, rows, reverse wrist curls, neck work…and curls. Just one set ;).
Push ups-9x20
Snatch-12x5 @ 36

Oct 25
Mace work, rows, reverse wrist curls, neck work, curls
Push ups-6x20
Snatch-20x5 @ 36

Oct 26
Mace work
Push ups-4x20
Snatch-6x6 @ 24
BJJ-2 hours, Gi
Note-I’ve had a good run the last few days. I think I did a pretty good job backing off the A+A in order to allow space for the BJJ. A few weeks ago I would have just charged ahead and wrecked myself. Actually, I did do that a few weeks ago. Starting to get the hang of this…

Oct 27
Rows, reverse wrist curls, neck work, curls
Push ups-5x20
Note-Today was going to be a rest day, but the boy wanted to go to the exercise room. He likes to walk on the treadmill, roll around the big rubber ball, and look at himself in the mirror. No way was I going to tell him no, I so we went and I just did some lackadaisical accessory work.

Oct 28
Mace work
Push ups-4x20
Snatch-6x6 @ 24
BJJ-1.5 hours, Gi

Oct 29
Mace work, rows, reverse wrist curls
Push ups-8x20
Snatch-16x5 @ 36

Oct 30
Mace work
Push ups-5x20
Snatch-6x6 @ 24
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi
Note-I’ve been doing some one-handed 360’s with the 17 pound mace that I keep at the gym. It opens the chest up in a way that is very pleasant.

Oct 31
Mace, rows, curls, reverse wrist curls, neck
Push ups-11x20
Snatch-20x5 @ 36
KBS-2H/overspeed-6x5 @ 36
Note-Good session today. Did some overspeed swings to add a little to the daily volume. I feel like my body is starting to adapt to the higher volume (and higher intensity) of BJJ training. I’m also getting better at dialing back the rest of my training to compensate.

Nov 1
Rest day.

Nov 2
Mace
Push ups-3x20
Snatch-6x6 @ 24
BJJ-2 hours, Gi

Nov 3
Mace, rows, curls, reverse wrist curls
Push ups-8x20
Snatch-18x5 @ 36
KBS-2H/overspeed-8x5 @ 36
Note-I start a new rotation tomorrow. First day is going to be a 24+ hour shift. I’ll learn a lot, but training is definitely going to take a hit. As will my health in general, I’m sure ROFL. Worth it. It’s only 6 weeks, and I’ll come out the other side far better for it.

Nov 4
Long call day at the hospital.

Nov 5
Mace, rows
Ballistic push ups-5x15
Snatch-12x6 @ 32
Note-Just a little “tonic” work to keep things moving. Tried out a more ballistic version of the push up that I think I stick to for a bit. Pause at the top, drop, bounce out of the bottom, and pause at the top again. Focusing on speed.

Nov 6
Ballistic push ups-6x15
Snatch-12x5 @ 36

Nov 7
Mace, rows, curls, neck work
Ballistic push ups-6x15
KBS-2H/overspeed-5x5 @ 36
Ran 37 minutes
Snatch-4x5 @ 36
Note-At this point I’m just trying to get a feel for my recovery now that I’m not sleeping as much. Normally I just do that by charging ahead until I hit a wall, but I’d like to be a little more intentional this time.

Nov 8
Long call day.

Nov 9
BJJ-1.5 hours, Gi
Mace, rows, curls
Ballistic push ups-5x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 24
Note-Barely made it off shift in time to go to BJJ. I wasn’t going to do snatches, but we finished up about 30 minutes earlier than usual for a Saturday so I tacked them on to the end.

Nov 10
Ballistic push ups-8x15
Snatch-16x5 @ 36
Note-Alright, week 1 is in the bank. I logged 3 A+A sessions (albeit abbreviated ones), one A+A+A session, and one BJJ session. I was able to train on every day that wasn’t a long call day, so I’ll take it. I’ll be tickled pink if I can keep this up for 5 more weeks. This next week I think I’ll make the effort to hit another BJJ session. That will mean showing up to class late, but based on conversations and observations, the folks there are very much on board with peopleI showing up late instead of not at all.

In other news, I met some forum friends! I dropped by the Second Wind seminar in Seattle right as things were shutting down, and was able to say hi to @Anna C and @Steve Freides . It’s nice to see the flesh and blood version of people, to give hugs and shake hands. Especially with people who have been such a big part of my training. Very grateful to Anna for giving me a shout out and inviting me over.
Also laid eyes of some pretty high quality humans of the S1 variety; it’s always interested to see people live after seeing pictures, videos, etc. One of these days I’ll have to actually make it to an event. Next year my schedule should open up a bit, so we’ll see if I can squeeze an SFG or something in there…

Nov 11
Rows, neck
Ballistic push ups-5x15
Ran 41 min w/ 2x4 second sprints

Nov 12
Long call day.

Nov 13
Mace
Ballistic push ups-5x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 24
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi

Nov 14
Mace, rows, curls, reverse wrist curls, neck
Ballistic push ups-7x15
Snatch-16x5 @ 36
Note-Definitely wasn’t feeling it today, but I want to take advantage of the fact that I should get a full night of sleep tonight.

Nov 15
Mace, rows
Ballistic push ups-4x15
Snatch-6x5 @ 36
BJJ-1.5 hours, Gi

Nov 16
Long call day

Nov 17
Mace, rows, curls, neck
Ballistic push ups-8x15
Snatch-18x5 @ 36

Nov 18
Mace
Ballistic push ups-3x15
Snatch-6x5 @ 36
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi

Nov 19
No training. I had to pick between working out and going to my bible study group. I chose the spiritual training tonight ;).

Nov 20
Long call day.

Nov 21
Rows, neck
Ballistic push ups-6x15
Ran 41 minutes
Note-I'm starting to miss the locomotion. I should definitely be running and rucking more than just once every 1-2 weeks. I'm still faced with the choice between locomotion, BJJ, or snatches. Until now I've chosen BJJ and snatches, buuuut if I sacrifice some snatches I should be able to do some more running. I don't really want to do that, but I think I have to be honest with myself and acknowledge that I can probably do more for my health and performance by prioritizing fuel economy over horsepower at this point.

Last edited:
Nov 22
Mace
Ballistic push ups-4x15
Snatch-22x5 @ 36

Nov 23
Mace
Ballistic push ups-4x15
Snatch-8x6 @ 32
BJJ-1.75 hours, Gi
Note-I haven’t been using the 32 at home, so I decided to pony up and leave it at the gym. Since I’m going to be doing less snatching, I want to make sure that the snatches I do get are heavy and high quality.

Nov 24
Long call day.

Nov 25
Neck, curls, rows (about 8 sets of rows)
Ballistic push ups-9x15
Ran 52 min

Nov 26
Mace, curl
Ballistic push ups-6x15
Snatch-20x5 @ 36
Note-Wasn’t really feeling it today, but leaned into it and got it done. I’ve been a little short of sleep lately, so I’m not 100% sure if that was the right choice, buuuut sometimes a mistake of commission is better than one of omission.

Nov 27
Mace
Ballistic push ups-4x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-1.25 hours, No-Gi
Note-Still tired, but great training day. Planning on taking tomorrow off totally, and eating copious amounts of turkey.

Nov 28
Ate lots of turkey. And butter. And enjoyed family.

Nov 29
Mace, curls, rows (8 sets of rows)
Ballistic push ups-10x15
Ran 58 min

Nov 30
Mace
Ballistic push ups-3x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-2 hours, No-Gi
Note-I might have left a little bit too much on the mat today. We’ll see how I feel come tomorrow’s run.

Dec 1
Mace, rows (8 sets)
Ballistic push ups-8x15
Hill sprints-3x4 seconds
Ran 28 min
Note-Yeah, I should have called it a day a round or two earlier yesterday. I almost didn’t train at all today, but I started feeling antsy in the afternoon. Ended up doing an abbreviated version of what I would have done otherwise.

Dec 2
Long call day. Emphasis on the “long”.

Dec 3
Mace
Ballistic push ups-6x15
Snatch-18x5 @ 36
Note-Took it easy today. Mostly due to lack of sleep.

Dec 4
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi
Note-No snatches, barely made it from the hospital in time for class

Dec 5
Mace, rows (8 sets), curls
Ballistic push ups-8x15
Hill sprints-4x5 seconds
Ran 55 min

Dec 6
Long call day

Dec 7
Ballistic push ups-3x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-20 minutes, Gi
Mace
Ballistic push ups-3x15
Snatch-14x5 @ 36
Note-There was a big end-of-the-year get-together for all the affiliated BJJ gyms today, during the normal Saturday training hours. Lots of people. I was hoping there would be some quality open mat time after everything wrapped up, but almost everyone just wanted to hang out. And socialize. Fair enough, but still a little disappointing. Went home and trained more.

Dec 8
Rows (8 sets), curls
Ballistic push ups-8x15
Hill sprints-4x5 seconds
Ran 38 min
Note-Cut my run a little short today. Lots of lower leg fatigue.

Dec 9
Mace
Ballistic push ups-3x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-1.25 hours, No-Gi

Dec 10
Mace
Snatch-22x5 @ 36
Note-Cut out the push ups from my snatch session for the sake of time. My training seems to be reorganizing itself into 3 types of sessions:
1-A+A snatches
2-LED running (although it will probably turn to rucking in a month or so), preceded by rows, push ups, and hill sprints
3-BJJ, preceded by a few sets of snatches when I have time.

Dec 11
Mace
Power push ups-3x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-1.25 hours, No-Gi

Dec 12
Rest day. Took my end-of-rotation exam today; now I get 3 weeks off for the holidays.

Dec 13
Rows-8 sets
Power push ups-8x8 (I tend to slow down on the last 2 when I do sets of 10)
Hill sprints-4x5 seconds
Ran 65 min-Took a 10 minute break in the middle to grab some pho spices at a Vietnamese grocery story. Making some pho broth with some old rib bones tonight.

Dec 14
Mace, rows, neck
Snatch-24x5 @ 36

Dec 15
Rows-5 sets, slow-twitch hypertrophy rows-2 sets
Power push ups-5x8, slow-twitch hypertrophy push ups-2 sets
Hill sprints-4x5 seconds
Ran 52 min
Note-I’m not going to try to stick to the specific slow-twitch hypertrophy training as laid out in the articles, I just adding a little extra slow-twitch stimulus in my pre-run routine to see what happens. The last time I played with the STH protocols, I wasn't doing BJJ. I'm interested to see if/how it effects my grappling.

Dec 16
Mace
Power push ups-3x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-1 hour, No-Gi
Note-Man. I felt beat today. But if I didn’t train, it would be 48 hours before I could train BJJ again, sooo…I’ll take it easier tomorrow.

Dec 17
Rows-3 sets, slow-twitch hypertrophy rows-2 sets
Power push ups-3x8, slow-twitch hypertrophy push ups-2 sets
Hill sprints-3x5 seconds
Ran 48 min
Note-I actually felt pretty good today, but I still dialed the volume back a bit.

Dec 18
Mace
Power push ups-3x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-1.75 hours, No-Gi

Dec 19
Mace, neck
Snatch-24x5 @ 36

Dec 20
Rows-6 sets, slow-twitch hypertrophy rows-2 sets
Power push ups-6x8, slow-twitch hypertrophy push ups-2 sets
Squat jumps-8x6
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi
Note-It was raining pretty good all day, so I wussed out and did the “inside” version of my easy endurance session. Swapped out hill sprints for squat jumps, and and easy run for lots of easy drills at a serendipitous open mat.

Dec 21
BJJ-2 hours, Gi
Note-Whew. I’ve been having a ton of fun with my training since my break started (and really hitting the grappling :)), but it looks like it’s been a while since I had a rest day. I really started to feel it after yesterday’s training. I’ll take tomorrow off totally, then do some kind of de-load for a day or three afterwards.

Wow, all the way back to page 4, after just a week without posting. Lots of people getting logs going for some new years accountability. Pretty cool to see :)

Dec 22
Curls-7 ladders, with various weights. Just for fun. The boy wanted to go to the exercise room.

Dec 23
Rows-4 sets, slow-twitch hypertrophy rows-2 sets
Power push ups-4x8, slow-twitch hypertrophy push ups-2 sets
Hill sprints-2x5 seconds

Ran 30 min
Note-Still keeping things chill for today. Low volume, nice and easy.

Dec 24
Mace
Snatch-16x5 @ 36
Rows-3 ladders
Curls-3 ladders
Note-Last day of my intentional 3 day de-load. Some easy bodybuilding for fun.

Dec 25
Hill sprints-4x5 seconds
Ran 64 min

Day 26
Mace
Power push ups-3x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-1.75 hours, Gi

Dec 27
Mace
Power push ups-3x15
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-1.5 hours, No-Gi
Rows-5 sets

Dec 28
BJJ-2 hours, Gi

Dec 29
Rest day. Feeling a little beat up these days. Probably due to the extra glycolytic work that’s come with my increase in BJJ volume over the holidays. It definitely makes a difference in how much other work I can absorb. I can alternate LED and A+A days for a week or two straight, but a few hard rolling sessions each week definitely throws things off. Worth it. I’ll be back to just once or twice week (if I’m lucky) before long.

Dec 30
Mace
Snatch-24x5 @ 36
KBS-2H/Overspeed-4x7 @ 36
-later-
BJJ-45 minutes, No-Gi
Note-Had to switch t swings for the last few NR due to my hands being aflame. My poor mitts can definitely tell that I’m not snatching as much right now.

Dec 31
BJJ-1.5 hours, Gi

Jan 1
Rows-3 sets, slow-twitch hypertrophy rows-1 set
Power push ups-3x8, slow-twitch hypertrophy push ups-1 set
Jump Squats-4x7
Ran 51 min

Jan 2
Jump Squats-6x7
Ran 62 min

Jan 3
Mace
Power push ups-3x8-I realized I had these as “3x15” in other places. That must have been a typo that got carried forward.
Snatch-12x6 @ 32-extra sets
BJJ-1 hour, No-Gi, easy drilling

Jan 4
Mace
Power push ups-3x8
Snatch-6x6 @ 32
BJJ-1.75 hours, Gi

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom