all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Max Weight vs Max Reps

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Doing this in the same session? If it works it's opposite of my usual, though I'm not opposed to trying it.
I'm going for some hypertrophy this spring, nothing crazy but I'd like to put an inch on guns with a little pec/lat growth thrown into the mix. Gonna have to feed more..
My training week will consist of several slots that can be categorized as follows:
  1. Heavy singles (not 1RM), then back off sets for 4 reps. This applies to main lifts - squat, bench, deadlift, press.
  2. Supplemental exercises. These can be overload variations of the main lifts, paused stuff, tempo variations, ROM variations. These provide more volume at reduced intensity and serve as both technique learning and hypertrophy adaptations
  3. Mainly hypertrophy oriented and GPP stuff. Exercises that are low on skill and done for reps of 8-10. Or even higher if it is something like curls (*insert the nun from Game of Thrones screaming SHAME!*)
  4. Conditioning - either high intensity like swings and snatches or low intesity like treadmill. Or both if my week is low on stress and I am feeling adventerous :)

I don't think these are goal dependent or exclsively oriented to strength, hypertrophy, endurance, etc. Focusing on maximizing the weight of a 3 rep set for strength is just as applicable as maximizing the reps at double bodyweight.
Yes, although it is more difficult to accumulate sufficient volume with 3 rep sets to drive strength and hypertrophy adaptations.

Mainly hypertrophy oriented and GPP stuff. Exercises that are low on skill and done for reps of 8-10. Or even higher if it is something like curls (*insert the nun from Game of Thrones screaming SHAME!*)
Haha! No shame from me, I'm a recovering muscle head from the 1980s :)

I've been doing a max rep set for my final set of the day for each of the main lifts (inspired from 5/3/1). Maybe it's the immediate gratification response of modern living but somehow it's creating a patience for the long-term results. Granted most of these PRs are because I've never attempted max reps at these weights. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the coming cycles once I'm using certain weights for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th....nth time.

I think it's easier to trust a program that has down weeks followed by up weeks. If I were to do a full 12 weeks and, for whatever reason, have a bad test of progress, that program would be more difficult to trust for a second time through. However, having a bad week, followed by a good week keeps my trust high that a program will work long-term. I think the high frequency of micro-tests helps create that patience and trust. It also takes advantage of auto-regulation and allowing good days when I'm capable, and bad days when I'm not.

Similarly, I think the periodic non-stop swings in S&S are often neglected and provide significant benefits. Or max sets on the Russian Bear, etc. I'm finding a lot of benefit achieving trophies for winning at seemingly insignificant things.

I think the high frequency of micro-tests helps create that patience and trust. It also takes advantage of auto-regulation and allowing good days when I'm capable, and bad days when I'm not.

I agree, and was one of the things I liked about 5/3/1 when I did it for 11 weeks in 2017. Although I was a barbell beginner when I did it and it wasn't the most appropriate program for a beginner, I found that the last AMRAP set of the day (on non-deload weeks) were sort of a way to "fill in" the training session for anything left on the table, but since it was only one set, it didn't do too much damage either. So on a strong day you'd get more reps and that was informative, and a different experience. Probably a different training stimulus, too. It also seems to serve as a stopgap if you've mis-selected your working weights to make sure you get in some meaningful work in each session.

Similarly, I think the periodic non-stop swings in S&S are often neglected and provide significant benefits.

I agree! These days I learn as much or more from a 5-minute snatch test or some other performance test, but when that was my first kettlebell continuous effort I certainly learned a lot every time I did it. Breathing, energy conservation, mental fortitude, grip recovery... and a different experience from the daily 10 x 10 swings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom