all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maximorum Master Thread

Are you even resting?! I pushed what I thought was pretty hard on C&P today for the end of week 2 and only got 15/14 sets. 21/21 is less than 45 sec a set including rest, that’s flying! No wonder it’s hard…
Ha! Oh hell no, that was 21 reps, not 21 sets. Just 7 sets of each. I’m pretty sure 21 sets of each would’ve killed me.

Just finished day 3 of week 7 (Phase II). Ended up with 8 sets total. You guys with the program know the breakdown.

I screwed myself, similarly to a few of you, by reading others’ numbers. I was using my legit 5RM and feel like I was literally beating myself to death on the CP/FRSQ days, and not getting anything for numbers. Therefore, I’m backing it down a size for those days. Was using 36’s, went back to 32’s. Before anyone asks, my form was suffering so it’s the right move.

I’m sticking to the 36 for snatches as I’m having no issue hitting 100+ reps with it.

I’m pretty happy with how it’s going so far. While I wish I could’ve stuck to the 36’s throughout, I know it would’ve crushed me physically and mentally.

For the stat keepers: 41 years old, 5’11”, 236lbs as of this AM.

I screwed myself, similarly to a few of you, by reading others’ numbers. I was using my legit 5RM and feel like I was literally beating myself to death on the CP/FRSQ days, and not getting anything for numbers.
I think this is a REALLY IMPORTANT point.

You should NEVER compare your numbers to anyone else's, UNLESS, you are a competitive athlete looking for a title or a medal. Then, obviously, you have to.

You guys would be absolutely shocked at how low my numbers are on these density programs, especially as the reps per set get higher. This is because I'm primarily a "power athlete" with a lot of Type 2x fibers. I suck for any sort of endurance work and always have. Once I start getting into higher volume/higher density work, it's very easy for me to overtrain, and watch my "gainz" collapse, because I can push my body with my mind, but my body can't/won't recover/adapt. (SIDE NOTE: This mindset/process is what repeatedly contributed to me getting injured in my mid-late 20s and early 30s.)

So my point here is you should, as Marcus Aurelius said, "Know thyself."

Study your training journals so you know when you can push, and when you can't.

At the end of the day, it's really "You vs. You."

Hope this helps you guys out.

You should NEVER compare your numbers to anyone else's, UNLESS, you are a competitive athlete looking for a title or a medal. Then, obviously, you have to.

You guys would be absolutely shocked at how low my numbers are on these density programs, especially as the reps per set get higher. This is because I'm primarily a "power athlete" with a lot of Type 2x fibers. I suck for any sort of endurance work and always have. Once I start getting into higher volume/higher density work, it's very easy for me to overtrain, and watch my "gainz" collapse, because I can push my body with my mind, but my body can't/won't recover/adapt. (SIDE NOTE: This mindset/process is what repeatedly contributed to me getting injured in my mid-late 20s and early 30s.)

So my point here is you should, as Marcus Aurelius said, "Know thyself."

Study your training journals so you know when you can push, and when you can't.

At the end of the day, it's really "You vs. You."

Hope this helps you guys out.
I needed to read this, especially going into week 5. Day five looks like it is really going to be rough. I won’t feel bad if I only get two ladders in.

I appreciate that insight @Geoff Neupert. I guess this is the million dollar question: am I best to stay with the 36’s and be limited to say, sub 30 reps for CP/FRSQ vs using lower weight and higher reps?

Perhaps I’m just looking at things wrong. While being/getting stronger is always a goal, I’m also trying to cut fat from my frame. Diet is the key, will I still see results with lower and heavier weights?

In week 7 now. Has anyone else noticed that the c+p/fsq day and the snatch day have switched, starting with this week? That’s what my copy of the plan indicates, so that’s what I did, but I don’t know the reason for it.

Day 1: 58/45/45
Day 2: 168

24s for all exercises. Still chipping away.

I think I’m going to start an actual forum training log, since I keep posting my progress on here anyway.

@Spock my guess is that it’s to let us hit C&P after a day of rest. Reps per set are generally higher in this phase, and C&P seems to be the center of this program (which is consistent with Easy Muscle’s philosophy). I reach that conclusion based on the fact that it’s the only lift we’re specifically directed to test in the program as written.

I appreciate that insight @Geoff Neupert. I guess this is the million dollar question: am I best to stay with the 36’s and be limited to say, sub 30 reps for CP/FRSQ vs using lower weight and higher reps?
Yes. Trust the process.
Perhaps I’m just looking at things wrong. While being/getting stronger is always a goal, I’m also trying to cut fat from my frame. Diet is the key, will I still see results with lower and heavier weights?
Yes. You can get lean from dieting and heavy weights/low reps. Almost all of my fat loss/get lean programs are built around that very concept (Ex. Kettlebell Burn, Kettlebell Burn EXTREME!). And it's actually my preferred method for getting lean. You can actually lean out and get stronger, which doesn't happen on most fat loss programs. So, stay the course.

In week 7 now. Has anyone else noticed that the c+p/fsq day and the snatch day have switched, starting with this week? That’s what my copy of the plan indicates, so that’s what I did, but I don’t know the reason for it.
Yes, that's intentional. If you read the "GOAL" at the beginning of each phase, you'll see the goal changes.
I think I’m going to start an actual forum training log, since I keep posting my progress on here anyway.
You should always be doing this so that you can measure your progress week to week, month to month, and year to year. It keeps discouragement away and shows you what works and doesn't work for you.

Yes, that's intentional. If you read the "GOAL" at the beginning of each phase, you'll see the goal changes.

So if I'm understanding this correctly in phase two we are to set the bells down less time, if at all, between A1 and A2? And the same thing between sides on exercise A in the alternate day?

@Aziatik

I'm certainly not Geoff, but I will try my best to answer with my interpretation. In Phase 2, with the days/workouts switched, the focus gets placed on the grinds, which is more effective for in producing the desired goals. At the end, if you've noticed, the testing is for the grinds only, not the ballistics.

The rests between A1 and A2 do not change. A1, rest, A2, rest...so on and so on. The only change is that you are more fresh and recovered for those days and should be able to do more work to reach the desired goals.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
@Aziatik

I'm certainly not Geoff, but I will try my best to answer with my interpretation. In Phase 2, with the days/workouts switched, the focus gets placed on the grinds, which is more effective for in producing the desired goals. At the end, if you've noticed, the testing is for the grinds only, not the ballistics.

The rests between A1 and A2 do not change. A1, rest, A2, rest...so on and so on. The only change is that you are more fresh and recovered for those days and should be able to do more work to reach the desired goals.

Hope that makes sense.

Geoff sent out a FAQ that said you can change the rest periods for the different phases:

"In Phase 1, since the goal of the snatch is power production, you can perform it one of two ways:

Option 1: Rest between sides, but not too much, as long as you are exploding on each rep, not performing the reps rhythmically.

Option 2: Perform one side immediately followed by the other.

Option 1 is my preference for Phase 1. Option 2 is the preference for Phase 2."

"Q5) On the C&P/Sq days what are your thoughts on super-setting the 2? In your KB extreme training log you recorded that and I did the same for some days in that program, but want to make sure it fits here too.

A: That's fine as long as your power output doesn't tank. I prefer alternating sets - resting between the two and I think you'll be more successful in Phase 1 doing that.

However, super sets (no rest between exercises - just so we're all on the same page) would be better during Phase 2 when the goal is more hypertrophy oriented."

Finished Phase 1 with double 24s and a 28 kg. I'm doing Mon-Tue, Thur-Fri. Of course, over the weekend between phases, I developed a cold with significant cough and dyspnea with exertion. For day 1 of phase 2, since I was still sick. I decided to dramatically reduce the volume. I still felt like I could generate tension, however. So, I did singles and doubles with double 28s for the allotted time, with ample rest in between sets. I think that worked pretty pretty well in hindsight. Today is day 4 of phase 2. I went back to the 24s and did the program as designed. I felt recovered from the illness and did surprisingly well, surpassing all previous total loads, with a lower RPE.

Appetite has been up, but weight remains 190-193 lbs.

Interesting, so I though I would share my experience.

Thanks for this, Geoff. A few weeks ago I got into "ego trouble" with Dry Fighting Weight : I thought I could handle an increase in bell size: My back, wrists, and overall form loudly begged to differ.
I stopped, regrouped and recovered, and am now in a modified Easy Muscle --I know! In my defense, I have already run it once, strictly by the book

"You got to know
When to hold 'em
Know when to fold em....."

Finished Phase 1 with double 24s and a 28 kg. I'm doing Mon-Tue, Thur-Fri. Of course, over the weekend between phases, I developed a cold with significant cough and dyspnea with exertion. For day 1 of phase 2, since I was still sick. I decided to dramatically reduce the volume. I still felt like I could generate tension, however. So, I did singles and doubles with double 28s for the allotted time, with ample rest in between sets. I think that worked pretty pretty well in hindsight. Today is day 4 of phase 2. I went back to the 24s and did the program as designed. I felt recovered from the illness and did surprisingly well, surpassing all previous total loads, with a lower RPE.

Appetite has been up, but weight remains 190-193 lbs.

Interesting, so I though I would share my experience.
You and I are the same person. I just got sick two weeks earlier.

After finishing week 3 today, so far I like how I feel but I haven't really noticed any changes so far. Weight, measurements, and my 5RM C&P are all the same so far. Not that they won't come, and certainly the holidays and my poor eating habits recently have contributed to my lack of progress.

One thing I have noticed that I was not expecting is that the grind days seem to be more metabolic than the ballistic days, as those are the days that I keep sweating for 30-45 minutes after I'm done, even after showering in the middle of the winter. The ballistic days, when the bell gets set down I have a few minutes of recovery and I feel back to normal and ready to start my day (I practice first thing in the morning).

Back
Top Bottom