all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maximorum Master Thread

Finished week 5 yesterday. I was really surprised by the jump in total volume I managed between weeks 4 and 5, since I felt like I was already doing about as much as I could without exceeding the recommended RPE, and was only seeing small jumps from week to week before that.

Total NLs (Snatch + C&P + FSQ) weeks 1-5:
Week 1: 282
Week 2: 290 (+2.8%)
Week 3: 310 (+6.9%)
Week 4: 318 (+2.6%)
Week 5: 370 (+16.4%)

Week 5 breakdown:
Snatches: 200
C&P: 87
FSQ: 83

Finished week 5 yesterday. I was really surprised by the jump in total volume I managed between weeks 4 and 5, since I felt like I was already doing about as much as I could without exceeding the recommended RPE, and was only seeing small jumps from week to week before that.

Total NLs (Snatch + C&P + FSQ) weeks 1-5:
Week 1: 282
Week 2: 290 (+2.8%)
Week 3: 310 (+6.9%)
Week 4: 318 (+2.6%)
Week 5: 370 (+16.4%)

Week 5 breakdown:
Snatches: 200
C&P: 87
FSQ: 83
I had a cold complicated by a mild walking pneumonia during week 7-8. I was both surprised I was able to keep my training volume up with pneumonia, as well as how much better I could do by day 4 on antibiotics.

It’s interesting to see the volume you can handle on snatch and DCP days when the program switches from phase 1 to 2.

For all those asking about dropping the clean before DFSQ… my understanding is there is a rest between A1 and A2. We’re not supposed to chain them together. So how are you getting the bells from the floor to the rack for squats?
A set of FSQs is always preceded by a Clean. How else can you get them there safely?

There is a rest between A1 and A2. But there doesn't have to be. And there doesn't NOT have to be.

In other words, if you feel like you don't need to rest between the two on lower rep sets and it doesn't affect subsequent sets, then don't. And if you do, then do.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I just did my first day of week 7, and I feel you! Arms and shoulders and back were quite tired from holding the rack that long. (I dropped the clean before the squats, for what is worth.)

The last day of week 6 was hard. I started the program at 4RM on the press. I,had to push press the sixth rep. What do others do when the last rep isn't going to go? Push press? Set the bells down and then pick them back up to finish? Set them down and call the set done?
I do put the bells down and when I am ready I pick them back up to finish the set.

Thanks for the clarification on putting them down/recleaning them. I’ve been running supersets the entire time (finishing week 9 now). The higher volume days are epic! Not quite KB Muscle epic, but still pretty terrible.

Week 9 so far- 28

Thanks for the clarification on putting them down/recleaning them. I’ve been running supersets the entire time (finishing week 9 now). The higher volume days are epic! Not quite KB Muscle epic, but still pretty terrible.

Week 9 so far- 28

What's kb muscle? Is it similar to maximorum?

Update, nevermind! Discovered that i have the updated version called Kettlebell Hard!

Quick question @Geoff Neupert, what program do you recommend to follow up with after maximorum?

Last edited:
My family and I were laid low for the last several days with a GI bug, so I didn’t work out for 5 days. Started up again today, starting week 8 over (this should be week 9 for me).

Week 8 (redux), day 2
144 @ 24

RPE 7. Took it easier. I actually feel better now than when I started, though.

I’m starting week 8. I have noticed that my snatch days are still regulated by the breath test, but my press days by how long I need to rest to feel like I can complete the next set.

Snatch volume is still increasing. Press volume has has dropped a bit, but less than I would expect with all the extra rest I’m taking. (Me to timer: Seriously? You want me to do another set!?)

I’m starting week 8. I have noticed that my snatch days are still regulated by the breath test, but my press days by how long I need to rest to feel like I can complete the next set.

Snatch volume is still increasing. Press volume has has dropped a bit, but less than I would expect with all the extra rest I’m taking. (Me to timer: Seriously? You want me to do another set!?)
I know just what you mean. W8D4 Yesterday seemed to go on FOREVER. The cool part was I was able to get way more reps than I thought even with the extra rest, and there was a lot of rest.

Week 6 complete, and now at the half-way point. The sets with 6 C&Ps were really hard! Really had to grind out that 6th rep each set.

Week 6 breakdown:
Snatches: 206
C&P: 90
FSQ: 90

NL (SN+C&P+FSQ) went from 370 in week 5 to 386 in week 6.

Looking forward to starting the second 6 week cycle and dropping back down to an RPE of 7. My body feels like it needs a bit of a deload after this past week.

Progress update after week 8.
I started my college semester back up and i commute (5 miles) by foot (running) or pedaling (bike) usually run there and bike back. These days unfortunately fall on training days as well. Thinking of changing my start day to Sunday so that i can have one of those days be just a run/bike day.
Program/progress review
W2NL=262
W3NL=360
W4NL= 362
W5 NL=372
W6NL=370
W7NL= 424
W8NL= 414

Week 8 done - pushed a bit this week. Lots of redline with shorter rest. Rpe 8/9s

Day 1 - 51a1 102a2 20kgx2 8rm
Day 2 - 168 24kg 10rm
Day 4 - 50a1 100a2
Day 5 - 154

Day 2 apparently you burn serious calories over 160bpm sustained, lol something has to be off with my app. Screenshot_20230120_153510_myWorkouts.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3, week 9 is nightmare fuel. Ugh. Long breaks, still literally grinding it out.

Two full trips through the rep scheme with 36’s. Very much looking forward to snatch day tomorrow. The C&P/FRSQ are getting grueling for me.

W1d1 Today

Me and the family picked up a brutal flu
right before Christmas and we are just getting rid of it now
I was hoping to just go back to week 3 in the program.
Then i did a max rep test and barely made 5 reps so i am starting over.
did 72 snatches with the 24 which is the same as i had the first time so it seems i made the right choice

W1d1 Today

Me and the family picked up a brutal flu
right before Christmas and we are just getting rid of it now
I was hoping to just go back to week 3 in the program.
Then i did a max rep test and barely made 5 reps so i am starting over.
did 72 snatches with the 24 which is the same as i had the first time so it seems i made the right choice
That's rough, but I'm sure you will recover your pressing strength pretty quickly!

W9D4 112 reps

Pushed it, probably RPE 8/8.5. Feel great right after the work, but a really nice, constant burn throughout.

Three weeks to go. Down about 10lbs, but diet is ultimately keeping me from seeing more progress.

Strong as an ox, just wish I had the will power to eat a little less.

Work continues.

Week 5 in the bag, Snatches at 24kg and C&P/DFSQ at 2X28kg

Rep counts:
Day 1: 155
Day 2: 30/30
Day 4: 148
Day 5: 31/31

Good week, still increasing overall volume even with the higher rep days. Felt pretty good and wasn’t chasing the last few reps, most days I had a little bit of time in the bank instead of stretching out a few seconds to finish in.

As I go into the end of Phase 1 I’m switching focus from gain to maintenance. So I’m hoping to maintain roughly the current weight over the rest of the program so we’ll see how that goes.

Day 3, week 9 is nightmare fuel. Ugh. Long breaks, still literally grinding it out.

Two full trips through the rep scheme with 36’s. Very much looking forward to snatch day tomorrow. The C&P/FRSQ are getting grueling for me.

That is a ton of weight bro! Cannot imagine cleaning two bells that size, much less press them and in the rep scheme from week 9 day 3. That grind looks deep! Can't imagine either where your clean and press will test in the end...mind boggling.

Back
Top Bottom