all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maximorum Master Thread

I just finished day 4 of week 7, which is the first week in phase 2. I used Geoff's suggestion of supersetting A1 and A2 in this phase, and while the total reps is pretty equivalent to recent weeks I could not believe how much my delts were attacked by holding the bells in the rack for that long. Last phase, the squats felt more like conditioning as the weight is fairly low for my legs, but this week it has been a real test to not drop the bells from the rack near the ends of the sets. Here I am 90 minutes after finishing and my delts are still on fire.
@BJJ Shawn,

Remember, the super sets are just a suggestion, not mandatory. (Remember, they're not actually prescribed in the program - just elaborated on in the follow up FAQ emails.)

Do what you must to manage fatigue. If that means cutting back on super sets, so be it.

Hope this helps.

Finished week 10 day 4 today. Overall numbers down - 34/29/29 - BUT I did two more reps of double clean and press in those big sets, with the 24s, than was my max when I started the program. So that’s progress! I took my time today, stayed fresh, and focused on the cues from the kettlebell STRONG! videos.
And that's the whole point! Congrats.
10 weeks in, I’m empirically stronger, and injury free. Can’t complain at all.
Great job!

@Geoff Neupert
I am also interested in your opinion what to do next. I would like to try Kettlebell Muscle and burn extreme. Would you advise against going right into one of these programs or is there no problem? And which would you do first?
Thanks in advance for your time.
Great question.

I'd go Kettlebell Burn EXTREME!, then dial it back and go with Kettlebell Muscle.

@Geoff Neupert

I’d say continuing to burn this excess fat from my body. I love how this program is designed to just grind you to pulp, I just wonder if I can last in the long run throwing it into the mix.
Technically speaking, the program is designed to get you to feel like you're working hard without grinding you to a pulp. ;-)

If you really want to "next level" your fat loss, you're now physically prepared for a program like Kettlebell Burn EXTREME!.
Using the 36’s has me remembering olden days when I could crush myself and go right back at it again the next day. I’m not sure my shoulders can handle the 36’s week in, week out pressing.
Being said, I now see what you mean by trust the process. The heavy lifting (and tweaking diet even minimally) has leaned me out. I REALLY want to continue this trend.
Trusting the process is a BIG deal. The person you are when you start a program is not the person you will be/become when you finish a program. This program is designed to expand your boundaries and reduce your limitations, which it looks like you're experiencing.
Like I said, I’ve done my best to document pictures of myself from start to end, and much like @Aziatik I’m seeing awesome results. You’ll see them (unfortunately) in two weeks when I finish.

Clear as mud, right? Geoff I appreciate your programs and advice. Whatever you think will continue this trend, I’m all ears!
Looking forward to seeing your final results.

I just finished day 4 of week 7, which is the first week in phase 2. I used Geoff's suggestion of supersetting A1 and A2 in this phase, and while the total reps is pretty equivalent to recent weeks I could not believe how much my delts were attacked by holding the bells in the rack for that long. Last phase, the squats felt more like conditioning as the weight is fairly low for my legs, but this week it has been a real test to not drop the bells from the rack near the ends of the sets. Here I am 90 minutes after finishing and my delts are still on fire.

Amen to this.

@JamesPTA congratulations bro!

@Geoff Neupert that was tongue in cheek, somewhat. While I’m working, it’s a grind with that weight. At least, for me it is. However immediately after the workout I’m good to go, feel great.

Appreciate the follow up, just printed off my template for Burn Extreme and look forward to the continuation!

Week 11, day 1. 52/45/45.
2x24.

I did the first three sets without putting the bells down before doing the front squats. That’s a real game changer. Holding the bells in the rack for that long was tough on my lungs and my upper arms started burning, too. By the fourth set I was back to putting the bell down after the last press and then recleaning the bell for the front squats when I got my breath back.

Technically speaking, the program is designed to get you to feel like you're working hard without grinding you to a pulp. ;-)
Confirmed. It’s hard, but I feel good. I’ve had some rest days that I was sad I didn’t have anything to lift. I don’t remember feeling that way on any program before.

Did week 10 day 4 today. Only 4 sets, but the top sets were three reps above my starting RM. The first was good, and the second passable. I’m satisfied.

W12D1 32

As I read some of the other experiences, I’m realizing part of the “grind” I’ve felt is because I’ve been super setting since D1W1. C&P then straight to FRSQ. I know what Geoff said, but my skull is thick and I don’t like putting the bells down. Probably a good adjective for that somewhere.

Anxious to see what the 5RM retest holds. The end is near…

It’s fun to see the wrap up, thanks @JamesPTA for the inspiration. I’m halfway through week 8, and I can definitely say that on Monday it was the hardest time I’ve had getting into the gym in a long time. There’s a sense of 4 long weeks ahead…I think I’ve been doing 8 week cycles for a long time, breaking out of that cycle is probably good for my brain.

I did move into the supersets for Phase 2, and Hoo boy does it ramp up the effort. Love it, but dang. I made myself scale back the RPE this week to allow for a little bit of resetting and to stop pushing too hard for those last few reps. It’s encouraging to see the reps that I can manage without pushing too hard, though the last reps in the high C&P ladders are never easy.

Just finished Phase 2 with the RM for the DCP.

38 yo male
DCP: 24 kg, prior RM 7
Snatch: 28 kg

Before
Weight: 190.4 lbs
Caliper measurements: chest 11 mm leg 11 mm belly 25 mm = ~15-16% body fat

After
Weight 191.8 lbs
Caliper measurements: 11 mm leg, 11 mm chest 26 mm belly = 16% BF (but really well within margin of error

DCP: new record for RM of 12 reps!!!

No change in diet.
Pneumonia between phases 1 and 2
Donated 2 units of blood the week prior to the RM test.

W11 completed. RPE is up but numbers are fairly consistent. Biggest change is drop in snatch numbers. I had to extend rest to keep up with the bigger sets and continue getting power throughout. I’ve also been accumulating more cardio/commuting miles so my total output outside of the program is up. Love the program though. Looking forward to this final week!

Just finished Week 9. Interestingly, I peaked in total volume during Week 6, with volume a little lower but consistent over the past three weeks (similar to Larry's report above) as the sets get bigger and the rests longer.

Week 9 breakdown:
- DC&P total: 89 reps
- DFSQ total: 89 reps
- Snatch total: 194 reps

Weekly NL (DC&P+DFSQ+Snatch):

W1W2W3W4W5W6W7W8W9

Back
Top Bottom