all posts post new thread

Kettlebell May I submit sinister challenge using competition style kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AsukaG

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi everyone, I bought competition style kettlebell long time ago and training with them ever since. l want to know if I could submit my sinister challenge form using them. I don't have hardstyle kettlebells. Thank you.

Yes Malou Fehlbaum did that...
It would be a wise idea to show in the vid you're weighing the bell/s to be used

Just out curiosity, is there an issue or something that says that's not allowed? I actually prefer comp bells for my lower weights (20kg and 16kg) just because they allow me to maintain a solid rack pos.

I think the style of bell you use is merely preference... jmo though

Reactions: DC3
Thank you Mark, now I know what to do.
I don't know , james_1127, I've got the feeling that everyone here using hardstyle kettlebell. It's recommended in Pavel's book to use hardstyle ones. There should be some reason out of preference I think. Would someone like to give an brief explanation about this?

Here's my humble opinion based on having played with comp bells for a given time period whenever I would do workshops at a venue where all they have are comp bells and by periodically using a comp bell in my own practice.

The comp bell's shape allows you to have fairly identical technique even as you go up in weight.

The cast iron bell with the increase in size of both body and handle offers many lessons from placement of bell on wrist and grip so you actually have to learn to adjust your body to the bell to ensure technique stays identical.

Hope this helps.

The comp bell's shape allows you to have fairly identical technique even as you go up in weight.

The cast iron bell with the increase in size of both body and handle offers many lessons from placement of bell on wrist and grip so you actually have to learn to adjust your body to the bell to ensure technique stays identical.

Which is why I prefer comp bells.

I don't want to have to tweak my technique every time I go up in weight.

I don't have to do that with a barbell or loadable dumbbell as I add weight, so I don't want to have to do it with a KB, either.

I've got the feeling that everyone here using hardstyle kettlebell. It's recommended in Pavel's book to use hardstyle ones. There should be some reason out of preference I think. Would someone like to give an brief explanation about this?

Comp bells >>>> Cast iron bells

I have a lot of cast iron DD (some going back the first ever DD production run) and Rogue bells, but I much prefer my competition bells for almost anything. Other than for goblet squats and bottoms up presses, I NEVER choose a cast iron bell over a competion bell (I have a lot of duplicate sizes in both).

I have both Kettlebells USA and Kettlebell Kings comp bells. My favorites are the Kettlebels USA Paradigm Pro Elite comp bells. The 35mm handle is "right-sized," the finish on the handle is smooth, but with a little grain to it that works with and without chalk, and the geometry feels really good. The Kettlebell Kings comp bells have a little smoother finish that I find less secure, and the paint chips much more easily.

Although it's not directly relevant for Sinister, both comp bells actually have more space under the handle than cast iron bells for two hand swings, plus the horns are vertical so they don't squeeze my fingers as uncomfortably as the inward curving horns of cast iron bells (although I find two hand swings uncomfortable with all bells and rarely do them).

KBUSA has an FAQ page about competition bells compared to cast iron bells for two hand swings:
Competition Kettlebell Handles Too Small?

I have both Kettlebells USA and Kettlebell Kings comp bells. My favorites are the Kettlebels USA Paradigm Pro Elite comp bells. The 35mm handle is "right-sized," the finish on the handle is smooth, but with a little grain to it that works with and without chalk, and the geometry feels really good. The Kettlebell Kings comp bells have a little smoother finish that I find less secure, and the paint chips much more easily.

I'd agree on the handle textures of the Kettlebells USA vs KB Kings handles.

If I ever decided to become a "Kettlebells Only" guy or get into GS, I might bother to swap out brands across the board.

Something to note, I found comp bells are not as comfortable for getups as cast iron.

I do like comp bells for one arm swings though

Thank you everyone, I've learned a lot. I'm gonna keep using my comp bells for S&S.
How different style bells would affect military press then? I'm petite girl with small hand, sometimes I find it hard to keep my wrist straight when pressing. Would it be better to switch to hardstyle bell for military press? I'm also struggle to meet the sfg2's press strength requirement.

Thank you everyone, I've learned a lot. I'm gonna keep using my comp bells for S&S.
How different style bells would affect military press then? I'm petite girl with small hand, sometimes I find it hard to keep my wrist straight when pressing. Would it be better to switch to hardstyle bell for military press? I'm also struggle to meet the sfg2's press strength requirement.

I'm assuming your priority is sinister? If yes then focus on that?

What are you doing for pressing at the moment? I personally prefer cast iron bella when it comes to pressing.

I'm assuming your priority is sinister? If yes then focus on that?

What are you doing for pressing at the moment? I personally prefer cast iron bella when it comes to pressing.
Maybe I'm too ambitious. I'm currently doing giant program for 12 weeks and will finish next week. Then I'm planning to do S&S as my primary workout after, I'm one bell away from sinister's swing requirement and already meet the getup requirement. In the meantime, I'm thinking of using Daily Dose Pressing along with S&S to increase my press weight, I'm half bell away from sfg2 requirement. What do you think of the plan? Is it too much?

Maybe I'm too ambitious. I'm currently doing giant program for 12 weeks and will finish next week. Then I'm planning to do S&S as my primary workout after, I'm one bell away from sinister's swing requirement and already meet the getup requirement. In the meantime, I'm thinking of using Daily Dose Pressing along with S&S to increase my press weight, I'm half bell away from sfg2 requirement. What do you think of the plan? Is it too much?
How much time do you have til your deadline to submit your SFG2 press requirement?? I would focus on that

My personal recommendation for the getup would be the following

1. Work on being able to hold your current bell for 5-10 seconds in various positions for all sets
2. Work up to being able to do multiple getups with your current bell. When you can do 3 consecutive reps for 3-4 sets the timed standard is usually a cake walk

How much time do you have til your deadline to submit your SFG2 press requirement?? I would focus on that

My personal recommendation for the getup would be the following

1. Work on being able to hold your current bell for 5-10 seconds in various positions for all sets
2. Work up to being able to do multiple getups with your current bell. When you can do 3 consecutive reps for 3-4 sets the timed standard is usually a cake walk

I don't have a deadline to meet, I just want to be able to do it, pressing 1/3 bodyweight. And my primary goal is to meet the sinister standards as soon as possible. Thank you for the suggestion about getup, I think it will help me solidify my technique a lot, but I've already meet the get up requirement. What I need is to improve single hand swing, can only swing 24kg, need to be able to swing 32kg.

Do you think it's a good idea to combine S&S training with pressing program or if it's not a near future gold, pressing would better singled out, better to do it alone, and only focus on S&S.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom