all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Mcgill Big 3

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted 20758

After my last thread i m convinced that i will start Mcgill Big 3. I know the exercises. But how about set/rep and progression?

i believe that Im in the future will progress to TGU or some simular.

Dr McGill recommends a 6-4-2 holds of 8-10 seconds in his book Back Mechanic. So you do 6x10sec of bird dogs + rest 30 sec, same other side, then 4x10sec + 30 sec rest, same other side, then 2x10sec + rest 30 sec, same other side. Switch to curl-ups 6-4-2 then side planks (L/R) 6-4-2. I took about 3-5 sec rest in between holds just to set myself up properly each time.

I found 6-4-2 to be too long to do frequently and it ate up too much of my training time so I just did 3-2-1 instead and found it to be plenty. Although I aimed to do it everyday like the Dr recommends, 4-5 times seemed to be what I was able to do consistently.

EDIT: 6-4-2 took me almost 20 mins to complete. 3-2-1 10 minutes or less. Keep in mind you can/should apply tension techniques when doing the Big3.

Last edited:
Dr McGill recommends a 6-4-2 holds of 8-10 seconds in his book Back Mechanic. So you do 6x10sec of bird dogs + rest 30 sec, same other side, then 4x10sec + 30 sec rest, same other side, then 2x10sec + rest 30 sec, same other side. Switch to curl-ups 6-4-2 then side planks (L/R) 6-4-2. I took about 3-5 sec rest in between holds just to set myself up properly each time.

I found 6-4-2 to be too long to do frequently and it ate up too much of my training time so I just did 3-2-1 instead and found it to be plenty. Although I aimed to do it everyday like the Dr recommends, 4-5 times seemed to be what I was able to do consistently.

EDIT: 6-4-2 took me almost 20 mins to complete. 3-2-1 10 minutes or less. Keep in mind you can/should apply tension techniques when doing the Big3.
20 min is allmost the same as the rest of my workout.

20 min is allmost the same as the rest of my workout.
Exactly, I did the Big3 as a warm-up and 20 mins was way too much. I did have low back issues at the time and really needed something like the Big3 though. 6-4-2 or 5-4-3 like Brian mentions in the video will be the same. He does mention you can start with less. I even just did 2x15sec of each exercise when pressed for time and it was ok. 3-2-1 did yield more results with regards to low back stability in my case though.

You could also add some various hollow body holds or alternate between Big3 and some hollow body work + HLR.

I spend about 10 min, max, on my warmup. It includes the McGill Big 3. For example, for each one of these I do a couple sets of 10 reps or 10 second holds.

(1) Cervical Big 3 (Dr Lock)
(2) T Spine Big 3 (Dr Lock)
(3) Shoulder Big 3 (Dr Lock)
(4) Cat Camels
(5) McGill Big 3
(6) Band pull downs
(7) Snatch grip shoulder rotates (with a broom) - not sure what these are called
(8) Grab a 20 kg KB and do suitcase carries, rack carries, and waiter walks
(9) Specialty: (A) Before squats I do halo's and goblet squats (24 kg bell). (B) Before bench pressing I do halo's (24 kg bell) and pushups. (C) Before deadlifts I do glute bridges (with towel between legs) and 24kg kbell swings (2 hands on 1 bell), shadow swings.

Hello,

It remains possible to train it on alternate / rest / variety days. That way, you may save time. I am not sure it is really necessary to perform it on a daily basis.

As far as warm-up is required, to get some core and stability work in the meanwhile, you can perform some crawling / animal walks.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom