all posts post new thread

Off-Topic McGregor-Mayweather

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
I know a ton of us on here are into martial arts and I'm sure others are fans. Early predictions for the fight?

I'm not that interested in boxing, watched kind of regularly in my teens, and watch UFC from time to time so I'm not that knowledgable.
I won't guess about which round the fight is going to end and by what means (KO, TKO, Score), but I assume that Mayweather is going to completely wreck McGregor.
Yes McGregor is a really successful, skilled fighter and yes boxing/punshing is one of his strengths, but he's not going up against just anybody.
He's going to fight probably the best pound-for-pound boxer ever.
To think that he even has a slight chance is ridiculous in my opinion.

I have only a marginal knowledge of boxing but I've enjoyed watching a match every now and then when I've had the chance. But a chance, I believe, is more than Mr. McGregor really has in this one.

I can't believe the odds they are giving conor. But with any striking art there's always a punchers chance conor has nothing to lose. If he loses oh well. If he wins we'll never hear the end of it.

But with any striking art there's always a punchers chance conor has nothing to lose. If he loses oh well. If he wins we'll never hear the end of it.
That's why I don't understand Mayweather. If he wins, everybody will say it was crystal clear from the beginning and if he loses he'll get sh...t from all sides. It's like he can't really win, no matter the outcome of the fight.
And it can't be for the money, right? I mean how greedy can you be after earning the amount of money he did in his career.

McGregor doesn't stand a chance. He's only doing it for the payday.

He has nothing to lose. If he loses, he was supposed to. If he wins he's a hero.

And I can't believe Mayweather even agreed to it. He has nothing to gain other than a bit of money, but he's already filthy rich.

Firstly, there is no end to 'Money' Mayweather's greed (and good luck to him) so you don't need to look for any grand narrative to explain this fight. Secondly, I agree entirely with Paul Upham (Australian boxing commentator) who predicts that not only will Mayweather not lose a round but he will probably not lose a minute. McGregor is a fine athlete and MMA fighter but that doesn't qualify him as a 'boxer'. Consider every second that McGregor has spent elbowing, kneeing, grappling and wrestling as wasted and ask how much time Mayweather has wasted. But even the greatest of sportspeople can grow old overnight and that is McGregor's only hope - that an old and weary Mayweather steps into the ring

As someone who has competed in both sports, I predict it won't be a good fight. McGregor will chase Mayweather & miss, Mayweather will run & make him miss while picking shots here & there. Mayweather wins by majority decision. If McGregor wins, which is very unlikely, it'll be knockout by lucky punch. Conor's best hope is that Mayweather grossly underestimates him gets lazy & gets clipped, cause he does hit hard. If the promoters are smart they'll have a cracking undercard to make up for what's going to be a very disappointing main event.

Last edited:
If the promoters are smart they'll have a cracking undercard to make up for what's going to be a very disappointing main event.

Why would they care about that? Once the main event arrives they already have everyone's money.

I don't think they'd care, but if they were smart they'd at least want something positive to be spoken about the card. McGregor & Mayweather fight was s*** but least there was some awesome fights before it, is better than that whole show was s***. But like you said @MattM would they care, doubt it, money first reputation after.

What @dc said.

I do see a downside for McGregor. He never hits him and looks absolutely foolish (though the $$$ he'll make will ease the pain.)

I'm surprised at the odds. There must be a lot of people thinking McGregor has a puncher's chance.

I do see a downside for McGregor. He never hits him and looks absolutely foolish (though the $$$ he'll make will ease the pain.)
2 of my close friends think that the fight is fixed from the beginning. Mayweather wins, but McGregor will be allowed to look good.
While I hope that something like that isn't true, I can still imagine it in todays world where it's all about max profit.

$1.18 to $5.00 in Australia. That's as close to a dead certainty as anything for a two horse race

I'm not familiar enough with boxing rules but I'm assuming that there is no rules on stance and whatnot... I wonder if Connor will stand in his typical mma stance and that will throw off Money with the angles and distance and whatnot... definitely will be a fun one to watch.

The press conferences will be more entertaining than the fight. The fight is a
carve up and it seems that genuine boxing fans are more concerned about it than ufc fans. What does it say if Mc Gregor beats a man who is within one fight of taking Marciano's record. Logic suggests he has no chance, but it seems that the fight is being sold on the prospect if mc gregor landing his counter left..
Alvarez v Golovkin is the fight to watch this summer..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom