all posts post new thread

Off-Topic McGregor-Mayweather

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I am huge fan of MMA, martial arts and combat sport in general.

...but I just can't stand all the clown show. I know, showbiz, but, too much is too much. What a poor role model for... everybody.

So honestly? I do not care.

I miss GSP, Lyoto Machida, Fedor, and other true humble gentlemen of the combat game.

Hell, I miss Mr. Miyagi.

McGregor might want to try a little 52 on Mayweather.

Zab Judah used it at the end of round 5 in his bout, threw Mayweather off his game pretty good.

I hope they both sustain broken jaws in training, fight gets cancelled and I never hear about it again. I love MMA and pretty much all combat sports but this is just stupid.

One night out from the fight. While we can still discuss the fight before we know the outcome. I think there are some very interesting things about this fight. One.. What is a win? If Conor lasts all 12 rounds I would call it a win for him, Rocky Balboa style. To get a win in the eyes of the fans, Floyd needs to absolutely destroy him and do so fairly early. Even if Floyd wins the decision this outcome would be a win for Conor. If Conor gets one of his fierce left punches on him and its a clean hit that would still be a career win for Conor.

If Conor wins the fight I think it would be huge for sports. It would change a lot of opinions with the whole Boxing vs MMA in popular culture.

My prediction is: Mayweather will try to jab his way to a points victory and Macgregor may not be KO but he will be sore and bloody. And at some point, in tiredness and frustration, Macgregor will do something dramatic that will come to define the fight. Mayweather by KO (probably TKO)

If Floyd wins who really cares? If Conor wins we'll never hear the end of it.

Part of me feels like Conor is going to give a roundhouse kick to the jaw and not even care if he doesn't get paid. He seems that crazy.

If he is the lone L on Floyd's record he will always have a way to get paid.

I personally think: either Mayweather (decision) or McGregor (armbar).

As my friend said: "Is it really hard to understand that one of the best ever in boxing known for his great strategy, with his dad who is also known for great strategy in his corner, played a conceited blowhard who has never boxed before? Isn't that hard people, really?"

Thanks for the link. I've never really followed either sport much. Not sure if it's been said, but I'd like to see Mayweather get in the MMA ring and then turn his back to McGregor like he did all last night. Boxing is boring.

I was disappointed with Mc Gregor. I was expecting him to be much more dynamic but he looked lethargic and heavy on his feet. From round 4 it was clear he was struggling with his conditioning. The size advantage didn't carry over at all and probably contributed to his gassing out. I remember going down to Joe Fraziers gym in Philly and met him. He was in his fifties and his sight was pretty poor. When he started pounding the heavy bag the bag was swinging around like it was filled with candy floss. Mc Gregor is lucky he was fighting a 40 year old counter puncher who hasn't KO'd a man in years.
Roll on CGG vs Canelo.

@ conor78,
From about 20 seconds into round 4 the fight was over. In reality it was over after round one, as it looked pretty clear to me that Mayweather was just feeling MacGregor out, maybe challenging his conditioning. Even used a little Rope-a-Dope. MacGregor could not figure out how to get to M at all.

Once Mayweather decided to apply some lumber it was just a matter of time, and honestly Mayweather didn't look very good compared to some of his past fights either, but good luck tagging him.

It was better than I expected, but I don't believe for one second MacGregor could have fought his way up to an honest shot at the belt.

Thanks for the link. I've never really followed either sport much. Not sure if it's been said, but I'd like to see Mayweather get in the MMA ring and then turn his back to McGregor like he did all last night. Boxing is boring.

MacGregor threw down the gauntlet, the challenged gets the choice of weapons...Mayweather never claimed he could beat MacGregor in the cage.

Despite all of his bluster and bravado, you could tell McGregor didn't expect to win from how giddy he was after the fight. He was positively elated despite being knocked out (technically).

I think his reputation will increase for surviving as long as he did among casual observers. A lot are forgetting that Mayweather has two years of ring rust and hit the big 4-0.

He did touch Mayweather more than I expected, but I expected McGregor to do "very very little." Instead he did just "little."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom