all posts post new thread

Nutrition MCT Oil: Best for Weight Loss

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bobbo

Level 1 Valued Member
Proper use of MCT oils in weight loss should help the user increase the capacity of reducing body fat while keeping proper energy levels and reducing the likeliness of psychological diet failure. Adding a mixture of caffeine and pure MCT oil to your daily consumption may very well increase the chances of accelerated fat loss and satiety in the process. Based on my experiences with my clients when using an MCT protocol, I believe it does. Below I am going to give beginners, intermediate, and advanced MCT oil protocol for those looking lose weight.

The blend you are looking for to make this protocol effective is a mixture of 2 cups hot black coffee and a variable amount of MCT oil blended in a blender based on how advanced a protocol you choose to do. Using coffee with your MCT will boost energy levels, increase metabolism, and better curb your appetite. The diet you follow with this MCT protocol should be a low carb (roughly 100-150g carb intake) to the ketogenic diet (no carb diet) with an emphasis on high protein.

Beginners MCT Oil Protocol

With the beginners MCT protocol, I would keep the routine simple. If you are on a 2000 calorie restricted diet, I would reduce your intake from food by 200 calories (roughly 25g MCT oil) and use MCT oil to replace that caloric intake, taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I would wait 30 min before eating breakfast also.

Intermediate MCT Oil Protocol

With the intermediate MCT oil protocol, I would follow the same guidelines as the beginner's protocol, but replace a meal in the afternoon with another 25g MCT oil and 2 cups coffee. Having said that, if you're at 2000 calories and you are to eat roughly 333 calories per meal in a 6 meal day, you should make sure the other 133 calories come from protein 30 min later.

If I remember right, MCT oils work by being converted to ketone bodies?

If so, doesn't it take the body ~2 weeks to get used to ketones for enery. Do MCT work right from the start (i.e. feeling more "fueled") or only after ~2weeks.

Wouldn' t MCTs be of good use during prolonged periods of under-eating like in the Warrior Diet?
Example: somebody has fasted for ~16h. Then takes 5-10g of MCTs and some coffee. After that the subject trains and after that has his first solid meal.
Wouldn't that be an option?

Proper use of MCT oils in weight loss should help the user increase the capacity of reducing body fat while keeping proper energy levels and reducing the likeliness of psychological diet failure.

MCT Oil

MCT oil is a good product. I use it on a daily basis for a reason we'll touch on in a minute.

With that said, MCT oil is not going to do much to decrease body weight or body fat.

The primary key to weight loss is...

Calories In, Calories Out

1) Consume fewer calories that you use and you'll lose weight.

2) Consume calories than you use and you'll gain weight.

This point demonstrated with the...

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, wanted to demonstrate to his class that weight loss is all about calories.

Haub decreased his caloric intake by consuming Twinkies, cookies and other foods in the "Junk Food" category.

Haub ended up losing 27 lbs, decreasing his body fat percentage and improving his cholesterol numbers.

Haub's Take Home Message

"That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food."

Using coffee with your MCT will boost energy levels, increase metabolism, and better curb your appetite.

Caffeine and MCTs

Caffeine is a stimulate that works for most individuals.

I can't say that I have notice that MCT's have given me any energy boost. I question if others notice any difference when using MCTs.

The diet you follow with this MCT protocol should be a low carb (roughly 100-150g carb intake)...

Low Carbohydrate Diet

One of the benefits of a Low Carbohydrate Diet is that it promotes the utilization of fat and body fat to be use rather than glucose; providing there is a calorie deficit.

MCT's can be accessed for energy as quick or faster than glucose. Replacing carbohydrates with MCT's decreases insulin production. Insulin is a "Global Anabolic Hormone"; it increases muscle mass and body fat, as well. So, MTC does provide a minimal impact.

With that said, a more effective method is to...

Skip Afternoon Snacks/Meals

1) Doing so, decreases calorie intake that is necessary for weight loss.

2) It decreases insulin (the fat storage hormone) while increasing the fat burning hormones, primarily norepinephrine.

the ketogenic diet (no carb diet) with an emphasis on high protein

The Ketogenic Diet Protocol

1) Carbohydrate Intake: A definitive 50 grams or less per day. It is almost impossible to go on a "No Carbohydrate Diet".

2) Protein Intake: Protein intake MUST be Moderate. That means your Protein Percentage cannot be any higher than 25% of your Daily Caloric Intake.

2000 kcal Daily Intake Example

2000 X 25% = 500 kcals of Protein; this is 125 gram of protein for the day.

"Emphasis on High Protein"

Consumption of High Protein on a Ketogenic Diet means you are on a High Fat, High Protein, Low Carbohydrate. You are not in ketosis and will never get there when protein intake is high.

That due to...

Gluconeogenesis

When protein intake is too high, protein is converted to glucose. Glucose is then utilized rather than ketones from fats and body fat.

To ensure fat and body fat is the primary fuels, Moderate Protein Intake is mandatory.

...eat roughly 333 calories per meal in a 6 meal day,

The Consuming 6 Meals Per Day Dogma

1) Research has demonstrated that consuming 6 meals per day rather than 3 meal per day does not increase your metabolism, International Society of Sport Nutrition.

2) 6 Snacks/Meal Per Day tend to preserve body fat. Constantly eating throughout the day maintain insulin levels. Insulin blocks body fat from being utilized for fuel; instead glucose if used.

As Jay Robb (Nutritionist) noted, "Insulin is a Fat Maker..."

Consuming Three Meals A Day

There are a number of advantages to consuming only three meals per day.

1) Consuming meals 4 hours or more apart, allows insulin levels to decrease; allowing body fat to be used for energy.

2) Consuming meals 4 hours or more apart increased Muscle Protein Synthesis. Muscle Protein Synthesis equate to increasing muscle mass.

It has to do with...

"The Refractory Phenomenon"

Research by Dr Layne Norton (PhD Nutrition/Powerlifter/Bodybuilder) demonstrate that more Muscle Protein Synthesis occurs when meals/snacks are consumed 4 hour or more apart.

The Sponge Example

When a sponge is dry, it is able to soak up and store more water.

When the sponge is full of water, it soaks up little to no water.

Muscle respond in the same manner; muscles are protein sponges.

Norton's research demonstrated that it take 4 hours or longer between meals primes the muscles for Muscle Protein Synthesis.

The Ketogenic Diet

I am on the Ketogenic Diet for heath reasons, a carbohydrate issue. I enjoy the diet and find it easy.

However, I do not recommend it. That because it is so restrictive.

The harder you make something for someone, the less likely they are to maintain it; the greater the failure rate.

Weight Loss With Keto

The underlying factor of why the Ketogenic Diet works with weight loss is "Calorie Restriction".

Fats and protein, as you stated, promote satiety; decreasing your hunger for long periods of time. You end up eating less.

Summary

Decreasing body weight/fat first and foremost about burning more calories than you ingest.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
If I remember right, MCT oils work by being converted to ketone bodies?

MCTs

They are digested as fast for faster than glucose and available for energy via ketones

Do MCT work right from the start (i.e. feeling more "fueled") or only after ~2weeks.

MCT's Prior To Training

I take a blend of MCTs, Liquid Coconut Oil and Oliver Oil prior to training. I have not noticed that they do anything.

Wouldn' t MCTs be of good use during prolonged periods of under-eating like in the Warrior Diet?

Defeating The Purpose of the Warrior "Intermittent Fasting" Diet

One of the purposes of any Intermittent Fast Diet is to increase fat burning. It appears to me (I am guessing which is never good) that if MCT's are introduces in the fasted state, MCT's would be burn instead of body fat or the less body fat would be burned.

Example: somebody has fasted for ~16h. Then takes 5-10g of MCTs and some coffee. After that the subject trains and after that has his first solid meal. Wouldn't that be an option?

Coffee/Caffeine

In my opinion, coffee/caffeine alone would be a better option since it stimulate your metabolism.

Kenny Croxdale

Calories In, Calories Out

1) Consume fewer calories that you use and you'll lose weight.
2) Consume calories than you use and you'll gain weight.

This point demonstrated with the...
Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, wanted to demonstrate to his class that weight loss is all about calories.

Haub decreased his caloric intake by consuming Twinkies, cookies and other foods in the "Junk Food" category.

Haub ended up losing 27 lbs, decreasing his body fat percentage and improving his cholesterol numbers.
Improving health isn't only about losing weight. I think most people who clean up their diets by eating more whole foods and less processed junk will tell you they feel better.

I also think, having experienced this personally, that eating a better diet can lead to a reduced appetite and therefore a reduction in caloric intake.

-S-

Improving health isn't only about losing weight. I think most people who clean up their diets by eating more whole foods and less processed junk will tell you they feel better.

I also think, having experienced this personally, that eating a better diet can lead to a reduced appetite and therefore a reduction in caloric intake.

-S-

I def agree!
Everybody is brainwashed into thinking that if you regularly train and do not have a six pack you are unhealthy.
What an utterly imbecility!
In fact a body fat percentage too low might even be detrimental. Probably ~8-20% for men and 15-30 for women.

Last edited:
@kennycro@@aol.com

I agree that calories in vs. calories out is the most important factor. There is no denying it!
As far as I remember, Haub's experiment lasted only 4 weeks and was rather a proof of concept. I am a fan of having some goodies like chocolate or whisk(e)y even during a diet as long as it fits the calorie count.
But: I can say with certainty than getting all of your calories from junk food won't do any good to your health and performance in the long run. I'd say balance and context, as always, is key: get about 80% of your food from healty foods and the remaining 20% from pure sugary, fatty goodness (if you wish to)

Wouldn't it be wise to take caprylic acid only since it is the most ketogenic?

If one does not feel an energy boost, then what use in taking it?

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be wise to take caprylic acid only since it is the most ketogenic?

Caprylic Acid Most Ketogenic

Yes, it appears the Caprylic Acid is the most effective for promoting Ketosis.

However, the cost for it goes up for it. Since I am in Ketosis, I am not sure it would provide and increased benefit for me for the increased price.

The MCT Oil I use now is the same price as the Liquid Coconut Oil. Coconut Oils content is around 20% MCTs.

https://ketosource.co.uk/caprylic-acid-c8/

For those reading this and intresting in knowing more, this is a good article on, "Caprylic Acid (C8): Impact on Blood Ketone Levels and Evaluating Current C8 Products.

If one does not feel an energy boost, then what use in taking it?

Good Point

1) Even though I don't feel an energy boost, I use it because it might be providing me with some benefits that I am unaware of. It like taking some type of vitamin. It hard to know.

2) Research has demonstrated that combining different proteins provided a synergistic effect; the sum is greater than it parts.

Whey Protein is a quickly digested protein, approximately 120 minutes . It enters and exit the system quickly. Whey is considered the "Anabolic Protein", quickly enhancing Muscle Protein Synthesis.

Egg Protein is an intermediate digest protein. approximately 180 minutes.

Caseinate is a slow "Time Release Protein, dubbed as Anti-Catabolic. It is digested in around 360 minutes.

The Protein Combination Benefit

Research has demonstrated that combining different protein in a beverage or meal, is more effective at promoting recovery via a Fast, Medium and "Time Release" Proteins.

The synergistic effect applies to live in general. Shirt are usually a combination of cotton (that breathes) and some type of polyester which increases the durability of the garment. And most importantly for me, I don't have to iron it like I did with a full cotton shirt.

Fat Digestion Time

Fats have different digestion times.

MCT

a) Ketone peaked at 90 minutes.

b) Ketones gone at 3 hours

Coconut Oil

a) Ketone level peak at about 3 hour after taking Coconut Oil.

b) Ketones remained in system for 7 - 8 hours.

Resource:
Dr Mary Newport
How Much Coconut Oil for Alzheimer's & Demential

c) Long Chain Fats

These fat can take up to 9 hours or longer to complete digest.

Extrapolation of Information

I combine MCTs, Liquid Coconut Oil and Olive Oil. My guess (means I don't know) is that combining fats with different digestion time and properties most likely provide some beneficial effects; as it does with the synergistic effect of combining proteins are a cotton/polyester blend shirt.

Gaining Weight

I diagnosed with a condition that might be exacerbated by glucose and might be improved with the Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting. So, I combined the two; Intermittent Fasting and the Ketogenic Diet.

I over reacted with combining both diets and ended up dropping 17 lbs in 35 days. My average daily weight loss was .485 pound per day/right at 3.4 lbs a seek. Overall, I lost 23 lbs.

My dramatic weight loss was primarily from consuming fewer calories from Intermittent Fasting. It punctuates "Calories Count" for weight loss, as well as for weight gain.

I decide to gain some weight back. However, I was confined to 50 grams of Carbohydrates a day and limited to 25% of my calories coming from Proteins.

Thus, the only Macro Nutrient that I was left with was Fat. I bumped up my fat intake around 50 grams of fat more per day. The provide me with a daily increase of over 500 kcals per day. It also allowed me a minuscule increase in protein.

The easiest method for me to increase my fat intake was with oils, 14 gram of fat (tablespoon) give you 123 calories.

That is the primary reason that I take MCTs along with other oils.

End Result

I have gain back around 14 lbs of the 23 lbs that I lost by increasing my caloric intake with Fats.

Kenny Croxdale

Everybody is brainwashed into thinking that if you regularly train and do not have a six pack you are unhealthy. What an utterly imbecility!

Judging The Book By It's Cover

Marc, that a good point.

Big Fat Lies: The Truth About Your Weight and Your Heath

This is an excellent book on this by Dr Glenn Gaesser that provide research data on this.

Kenny Croxdale

I am curious as to the amounts of each and the timing before training that you consume this mixture. Can you please share?

MCT's Prior To Training

I take a blend of MCTs, Liquid Coconut Oil and Olive Oil prior to training. I have not noticed that they do anything.

Kenny Croxdale

I am curious as to the amounts of each and the timing before training that you consume this mixture. Can you please share?

MCTs, Liquid Coconut Oil/Oliver or Avocado Oil Combination

I have a tablespoon before and during my workout.

I add Butter and Oliver Oil or Avocado Oil to everything that I cook. I usually have some MCTs upon finishing my meal.

That ensures that I am hitting my Ketogenic Fat Percentage and increasing my Daily Caloric Intake.

Bill "Peanuts" West

West was on of the best Powerlifter of the 1960's. He was part of the Original Westside Training Club.

West's "Peanuts" nickname came from him drinking Peanut Oil to gain weight. Like most, my initial reaction was that it was nuts.

However, for individual who want to gain weight on a Ketogenic Diet, it makes sense. That due to the limitation place on Carbohydrates and Protein Intake.

This increasing Fat Intake Protocol (as West implemented) works for other and makes some sense when drill down to the research.

The American College of Sport Medicine

This is one of the top two Personal Training Organization. Their recommendation for gaining weight is a definitive increase of 500 kcals per day to your diet. Ironically, that works out to be approximately a 20% increase in caloric intake for most; as Drs John Ivy and Layne Norton recommend.

The ACSM does not stipulate where those calories come from: Carbohydrates, Proteins or Fats. Which take us back to "Calories In, Calories Out".

Lipid Profile

The general populating is consumed with the Fat-Cholesterol Issue. They are "Fat Phobic".

A large part of my Diet is composed of Saturated Fats (approximately 1/3).

My lipid panel was good and got even better on the Ketogenic Diet; an ancillary benefit. That based on my general physical Lipid Panel in 2016 and 2017.

2017 Panel Numbers

HDL: 48

LDL: 110

Triglcerides: 51

Total Cholesterol: 170

Don't be upset by the results you didn't get, with all the work you didn't do.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing." Einstein

Their is virtually no good online information on how to gain weight on a Ketogenic Diet. That because the Ketogenic Diet is considered and utilized primarily for losing weight. My use is for a health reason.

So, I have extrapolated research and empirical data and have become my own lab rat.

I am doing my work.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom