all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Me trying to snatch with the 24

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Kozushi, a fine beginning. I recommend you slow way down, doing 6-10 reps per minute and finding your good overhead position. And/or put a bell overhead and walk around a bit. Your lockout position should be closer to straight up and down.

The weight itself looks like a toy - you'll no doubt be snatching somewhere between 32 and 48 kg if you decide to keep working on the movement.

-S-

@Kozushi, a fine beginning. I recommend you slow way down, doing 6-10 reps per minute and finding your good overhead position. And/or put a bell overhead and walk around a bit. Your lockout position should be closer to straight up and down.

The weight itself looks like a toy - you'll no doubt be snatching somewhere between 32 and 48 kg if you decide to keep working on the movement.

-S-
Steve, that is quite a compliment, and also extremely encouraging! (It was a lot harder figuring out how to post the video here than it was to do a few snatches of course, haha! My daughter helped me with that.)
I would never have thought of those pointers you mention.
I started S&S back in early 2016. It works. I find myself physically and spiritually capable of a whole lot of things I wasn't aware I was capable of. I even sprinted for a while a few days ago. Haven't even run the whole quarantine, but the 1h swings seem to have given me some kind of sprinting speed.
I can I think indeed work with much heavier weights than I normally do. Not doing so is just to stay on the safe side.
I'll get this move learnt and trained and I'll be at a certification in Toronto when that's all up and running again after Covid is done.
Ah, I'll add that I might then just move up to the 28kg if I'm doing lower volume / less intensity. I'll get more strength out of it.
I'm liking this! :)

I started S&S back in early 2016. It works. I find myself physically and spiritually capable of a whole lot of things I wasn't aware I was capable of.
Love this.

I'll add that I might then just move up to the 28kg if I'm doing lower volume / less intensity.
Get your overhead position sorted out first. If you get it right, really right with a heavy enough weight, a truly heavy weight will be there for you when the time comes.

-S-

Love this.

Get your overhead position sorted out first. If you get it right, really right with a heavy enough weight, a truly heavy weight will be there for you when the time comes.

-S-
Okay. I'll stick with the 24kg and get it right!

The 24 kg bell looks like it is very light for you. You are strong.

Your form, to me, does look off though. I shouldnt comment because I am not a qualified trainer. But it almost looks like your form is more fluid like GS vs Hardstyle. If you do an internet search and compare the two styles of swings/snatches, you might see what I mean.

It might also be that the bell is so light for you that you dont need much hip snap to propel it.

Regards,

Eric

The 24 kg bell looks like it is very light for you. You are strong.

Your form, to me, does look off though. I shouldnt comment because I am not a qualified trainer. But it almost looks like your form is more fluid like GS vs Hardstyle. If you do an internet search and compare the two styles of swings/snatches, you might see what I mean.

It might also be that the bell is so light for you that you dont need much hip snap to propel it.

Regards,

Eric
Yes, thank you for the comments. I know my form is off, the question is mainly what to do about it. Steve Frieds is telling me to focus on getting the bell straight up overhead, which I am not doing yet. It may be that with this "tweak" the rest should fall into place.
I looked at some GS videos. Haha! :) I think the kind of "limpish" appearance of my snatch is due to me trying to keep my arm in a bit and bent as I have been trained through 5 years of S&S swings to extend the bell out forward with a pretty straight arm.

Some form cues are actually harder to master in the beginning if the weight is not heavy enough. This was the case for me with TGUs and overhead barbell squats. Also with primal squats... I needed to start with a held 12K bell and eventually progressed to watching TV at the primal squat with my arms folded over my knees.

I'm definitely not an expert, but it would be interesting to see a video of your press. To me it seems that you lack shoulder and/or thoracic mobility (and compensate by extending your back; your ears, shoulders and hips don't line up vertically). But it might be a technique issue (and a video of your press would show the lockout in a different light) or I could be totally wrong. Hopefully someone wiser will chime in.

I'm definitely not an expert, but it would be interesting to see a video of your press. To me it seems that you lack shoulder and/or thoracic mobility (and compensate by extending your back; your ears, shoulders and hips don't line up vertically). But it might be a technique issue (and a video of your press would show the lockout in a different light) or I could be totally wrong. Hopefully someone wiser will chime in.
I'm also more waiting for the experts to chime in. I'd doubt I lack shoulder mobility as I do TGUs and kendo swings every day.
I'll tell you a little story. Every time I go to the dentist the hygienist sees all kinds of things that "catch her attention" only to have the actual dentist at the end declare it all "fine". There is no question that judo has formed my posture and body shape as I've done it for 32 years. I'm thus going to be "wired" a bit differently than your average Joe when it comes to this stuff and I'd not be surprised if I looked a bit different too, but again, it might be that I've got some mobility problems I don't feel and some kind of technique problems I haven't come to understand. I certainly "feel" like I'm straightening up at the end of the swing each time. Steve Frieds noticed I wasn't locking my arm out straight up overhead on the snatches, so I suppose you're seeing some version of the same thing with my swings.
Maybe camera angle?
In any case, I'd like to get everything "right".

...watching it again. No, I'm pretty sure if the camera angle were different you'd see all those body parts lining up. My daughter was filming sitting on a sofa ahead of me to my right. Not a great angle I guess.

Steve Freides noticed I wasn't locking my arm out straight up overhead on the snatches, so I suppose you're seeing some version of the same thing with my swings.
I was also referring to the snatches, hence the request for a press video.

The deadlift is with a 48kg and the1 hand swings with a 32kg. The camera angle is a bit weird though for the swings. It looks like I'm not getting the bell up to shoulder height, but I am, of course.

@Kozushi, the body positions of hinge and plank in the deadlift and swing should look very similar. Yours are quite different. Your deadlift is good but I would suggest a bit more "hips back" and a little less knee bend. Not much, just a little bit more... so that you feel a stretch and loading sensation in the hamstrings. I would add more tension in the standing position, also: abs, glutes, quads, and lats. Then, your swing should be the same. Currently your legs are barely moving in your swing. Add some knee bend with your hinge (while the hips are moving back) and see how much more power you have when you forcefully move to a standing plank! The standing plank can be better with the swing as well... You should look basically like the deadlift with a straight body, though there may be a slight backward lean from the ankles to counterbalance the kettlebell. I'd suggest getting the plank dialed in with your swings, then try to find that with your snatches.

1611579358514.png

Thank you @Kozushi for starting this thread. My swings look very similar to yours so I'm eager to see what feedback you receive.

@Anna C - thank you. Your feedback is always on point. I have bookmarked your post. Getting the standing plank position at the top of the float is now my main focus.

Thanks again.

You are a big strong guy. I wonder if you are swinging too light (28,32?) and that lets you get away with the couple of things Anna C mentioned. Not trying to give any advice, just wondering... ?

I'd doubt I lack shoulder mobility as I do TGUs and kendo swings every day.

I think TGUs task lateral thoracic rotation much more than axial extension. A better assessment of t-spine axial mobility would be overhead barbell (or double kettlebell) squats.

@Kozushi, the body positions of hinge and plank in the deadlift and swing should look very similar. Yours are quite different. Your deadlift is good but I would suggest a bit more "hips back" and a little less knee bend. Not much, just a little bit more... so that you feel a stretch and loading sensation in the hamstrings. I would add more tension in the standing position, also: abs, glutes, quads, and lats. Then, your swing should be the same. Currently your legs are barely moving in your swing. Add some knee bend with your hinge (while the hips are moving back) and see how much more power you have when you forcefully move to a standing plank! The standing plank can be better with the swing as well... You should look basically like the deadlift with a straight body, though there may be a slight backward lean from the ankles to counterbalance the kettlebell. I'd suggest getting the plank dialed in with your swings, then try to find that with your snatches.

View attachment 12653
Grand merci!
Okay, so, for the swing: more knee bend to allow more energy to put into the swing, then a rigid plank at the top.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom