all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Meditation/mindfulness to combat depression and anxiety

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I suffered with anxiety for many years, mostly due to work pressure, which snow balled into pretty much every area of my life. It culminated in a break down just over a year ago. I can thoroughly recommend a book by Professor Steve Peters call the Chimp Paradox. It's helped me realign my thinking and reduced my anxiety and stress.

Dan John once mentioned using One Moment Meditation app. I tried it (after having used Headspace and Calm before) and I love the idea behind it - you only meditate for one minute. The idea is that the main benefit of mindfulness is to return to this state throughout the day, not just once or twice when you sit it in for your scheduled sessions. There is no excuse to be had - everybody has a minute here and there during the day when they can have a short session. This develops a habit of returning to the mindful state. Fun app.

Obviously, seek counsel with professionals first.

All good ideas here.

It's a bit controversial, but you may find dynamic meditation useful. Check out Meditation: The First and Last Freedom by Osho.

You could always listen to Viking metal. I recommend listening to Amon amarth-guardian of Asgard. Side effects may include growing a beard and sudden urge to pick a fight with a giant snow monster or dragon.

I agree with others that the Headspace app and their book are great ways to easily get started.

I have a morning routine of meditation and reading a little about meditation/philosophy. Now that meditation has become "cool"(seems like everyone is recommending it for everything) we forget that most meditation practices include a study of philosophy that also has great value. I believe that practicing/studying support and enhance each other.

I agree with others that the Headspace app and their book are great ways to easily get started.

I have a morning routine of meditation and reading a little about meditation/philosophy. Now that meditation has become "cool"(seems like everyone is recommending it for everything) we forget that most meditation practices include a study of philosophy that also has great value. I believe that practicing/studying support and enhance each other.

Reading a letter from Seneca, paragraph from Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius, plus meditation - great morning combo.

Hello,

Every morning, to kick off the day when I get up, I tell to myself 'this morning session will be good, better than yesterday'. Most of the time, it works. It creates some positive waves to a certain extent.

When I practice my Wim Hof breathing, right after the routine, I focus on myself and "think about nothing". This way, I can clear my mind. When I go then into the cold shower, I clean everything because when you are under cold exposure, you are truely "here and now"

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom