all posts post new thread

Barbell Meet Report: 2018 USAPL NJ State Championship

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
First time doing more than DL-only in more than 10 years. Male, 63 years old, raw and no belt, weighted in at 65.3 kg, 144 lbs.

Little training in prep for BP, no warmups at all, went 3 for 3 at 60, 70, 80 kg. (132, 154, 176 lbs )

DL warmup was 225 lb x 2 overhand, x 1 right under, x 1 left under. Pulled left under 147.5 kg opener, 325 lbs., and 162.5 kg second, 358 lb or about 2.5 times bodyweight. USAPL personal best at new-to-me weight class of 66 lg with 2-hour weigh-ins. No third attempt.

-S-

Congatulations on setting a new New Jersey State Record !

Existing Record......
Raw Master 3a - Deadlift

Name Weight Date Location
-66 Jules Pellegrino 127.5 kg 06/03/2017 2017 New Jersey State Championships
(source: USAPL Lifting Database)

Congatulations on setting a new New Jersey State Record !

Existing Record......
Raw Master 3a - Deadlift

Name Weight Date Location
-66 Jules Pellegrino 127.5 kg 06/03/2017 2017 New Jersey State Championships
(source: USAPL Lifting Database)
You know, I didn't realize that was the current record - it's interesting, because Jules was at this meet, and broke a record - I don't recall if it was American or NJ - for the bench on all three of his attempts.

Because Jules is a Master 4a (maybe even 4b by now), his records also apply to the younger age groups if they break those records. I believe he was lifting as a 75-year-old yesterday.

Good to have broken the state record by 35 kg, eh? I will have to ask John about how to handle this, since I didn't know it was going to be a state record and I think you're supposed to warn the table and the referees first.

My thanks to everyone for their nice comments. I've got better in me, and I'm formulating my plan of attack ...

-S-

Wait, wait....there must be something funny in the data base...or I'm not understanding.

If I search you by name, it shows that you already pulled 160kg. at the Winter Open on 2/18/18 . Meaning you already owned the USAPL RAW NJ State record? So your 162.5kg raises the bar but higher!
But it also shows that you lifted equiped in 2012. Does that sound right?
Also shows you pulled 150kg at Iron Gobbler 11/12/17 in the RM3a-66kg class.....

Regardless, awesome lifting! And I'll stay tuned fot your next meet. Are you going to Regionals ?

Carl in Dover

@Carl in Dover, there must be some inaccuracies in what you're looking at. I've never lifted equipped. Prior to the meet last November, I had done exactly one USAPL meet. @Phil Scarito and I lifted together at a meet held near him in, I think, 2014, and it was before the new weight classes were introduced because we were both 67.5 kg.

I did pull 160 kg at a USAPL meet near Wilkes-Barre, PA, in February of this year. The Iron Gobbler was the November 2017 meet, I think. It was a big year for competitions for me - I also did a USAWA meet in December, 2017, and an APF meet in April of this year. The Feb and April meets were to continue getting used to my lower weight class and same day weigh-ins. Nov, Dec, Feb, Apr, June - that's a lot on one year.

No more PL meets for me for a while - going to focus on some USAWA stuff, and also on my weak points in the SFL and SFB curriculae, which are the barbell OHP and the one-armed pushup, respectively. My plan is to return to powerlifting competition when I hit the next age bracket in two more years.

-S-

Lifting Database

Yeah, it looks a little messed up. Heres how to fix it if you're interested.

Q: Records or Results discrepancies?

A: If State/Local, please contact the State Chair in which the meet was held. National, Regional or International, please contact the National Office. Include specific links and detailed information. Allow up to 4 weeks for research and correction if required.

New Jersey State Chair
John Dalessio
139 Union Ave
New Providence, NJ 07974
908-229-5345
Year Elected / Appointed: 2016
Year Term Ends: 2019

Carl in Dover

@Carl in Dover[/USER] (and anyone else interested), thank you for bringing all this record stuff to my attention.

I've had a couple of emails back and forth with our state chair in New Jersey, and this link appeared in my email this morning:

http://usapl.liftingdatabase.com/records-pdf?id=201336

Apparently there was some software issue, and it still isn't in the records database, but it is now official.

In the meantime, because I thought that somehow my record hadn't counted, I signed up for my first 3-lift meet in a _long_ time, in Philadelphia on November 10. I signed up because I wanted to have an official record, but heck, since I signed up, I'm going to do yet one more PL meet before I take a year or two off from doing them.

It's a Saturday, which works better for me because I am organist at a local on Sundays. How many other church organists do you know who are competing powerlifters? :) I am told that it will be another chance for me to set a NJ state record, so I'm going to give it a try.

New Jersery DeadLift Record Certificate.jpg

-S-

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom