all posts post new thread

Barbell Meet Report - APF, Tribes Hill, NY, April 14, 2018

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
It was a disappointing meet for me, but my wife tells me that, given everything I did, I should consider it progress.

I took a big taper for this meet - even though it was supposed to be a low-key meet for me in preparation for another one in June, I felt I didn't taper enough for my previous meet. As I entered this meet, I felt strong and well-rested - that was a plus.

I bench pressed for the first time in a decade or more, after training it again for the last 3 months or so. My BP has never been strong - lifetime best is about 1-1/4 times bodyweight, which is 190 lbs. Yesterday, I got 175 lb. on my 2nd attempt and tried 180 for my third but my right shoulder just, well, stopped working. Nothing hurts or seems damaged, but I have much to learn about this lift and will continue experimenting with grip, training schedules, and the like. So, 2 for 3, but one thing my wife pointed out is that we don't know if it's that I couldn't get the weight for my third attempt or simply that I didn't have a good third attempt in me. I think it was the weight, i.e., I don't think I would have gotten 180 for my second attempt, either, but I don't have any way to know.

Deadlift - a big disappointment for me, but this time, I know that I had the weight in me but I didn't have a good third attempt. For most of my meets over the last few years, I've only taken 2 DL attempts and I pretty always got both of them - the last few meets, I've taken 3 attempts, and I've never made a third attempt. There is, as is obvious when I read what I just wrote, a good lesson there for me. (I don't rule out, however, the possibility that a change in training, something that would result in an increased work capacity (or something along those lines) might enable me to do more heavy lifts in a meet. I will be pondering this point as I consider my next training cycle ...) I went 2 for 3, getting 315 and 335, and missing 360. 360 would have been an APF American record for my age/weight in the Raw Division, which makes it even more disappointing.

There are sometimes complicating factors - this was my first APF meet, and therefore my first with this meet organizer, and it was a small meet with just a single flight of lifters. The organizer had many of the people do all their warmups on the platform - all their warmups. That would certainly not my first choice because it meant there was quite a long waiting time between SQ and BP, and between BP and DL.

APF's weight class for me is the traditional 67.5 kg, 148.8 lbs., and they have day-before weigh-ius. But because I'm doing another USAPL meet in June and want to continue lifting in the USAPL, I decided to weigh in at the USAPL weight limit of 66 kg, 145.5 lbs., and to weigh-in the morning of the meet. I think I was the only person who did the morning weigh-in. I made weight exactly - the scale said 145.5 lbs. - and then went out for a really fun, big breakfast at a diner before the lifting started.

The guy I'm friendly with in the grocery store looked at me today and said, "You can do it at your age, and that's a blessing" - he meant that it's great that I can still train to compete at age 63, but while it's always a blessing not to be taken for granted when you wake up every day, I won't be satisfied until I get some more of my preparation sorted out so that I can get back to making my DL attempts again.

Next planned meet is the USAPL NJ State Championships on June 24, 2018, and after that, whatever happens, I'll be taking a break from PL meets for a while to focus on other things.

-S-

Steve - great work competing. You “put it out there” both by entering the competition and by writing up your results warts and all.

That said: why such a huge jump in load between 2nd and 3rd DL attempts? If you were feelin’ froggy after your second and decided to try for the record I totally get it. If you went into the meet with that as your 3rd, I don’t get it.

Again - kudos to you

That said: why such a huge jump in load between 2nd and 3rd DL attempts?
Not a big jump, IMHO. 20 lbs. between first and second, 25 lbs. between second and third. I opted for what I thought would be a second attempt that wouldn't overly tax me for the third attempt, and everyone in the place thought I'd get the third, based on how smooth the second looked. If I had it to do again, I'd go 315 and 360 and skip the third.

There are technique issues, too - I watched the video of the 2nd attempt - the right side of the bar comes off the ground first. On the third, the right side comes off and then the left side stays on the ground. I'll post the video tomorrow.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom