all posts post new thread

Barbell Meet Report: USPA Nationals 2021, Palms Springs, CA (USA)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
A925DD18-6BD6-4077-AD73-3737771AF622.jpeg
  • I got the gold medal for Raw, Male, 67.5 kg weight class, 65-69 years old.

• I was the only Raw, Male, 67.5 kg weight class, 65-69 year old lifter at the meet.

• Both my wife and my youngest son, age 24, came with me, and while I had a great time with them, it was also distracting. My son had never seen me compete because he'd never been to a PL meet, so he came along for the first part of the trip then went off to hang with old high school friends in the area.

• It was also my third PL meet in 3 months, and I really felt that.

• 2 items of good news: 1) I made 9 attempts for the first time in 15+ years. 2) I had a great time with my wife and my son, and my son left us to hang with friends and I'm having a great rest of the trip with my wife.
Squat: 1 for 3. My form was a bit off - more on this later - and as a result, I wasn't getting as deep as I thought I was. I got red-lighted by one side judge on my first squat, then red-lighted by both side judges on my 2nd and 3rd attempts. I'm still away - when I'm home, I'll add some pictures and video, and you'll see that if I was, in fact, high, I was certainly very close to legal squat depth.

Bench Press: 1 for 3. My first attempt, after I got the hand-off, I started to lower the bar before having been given the Start command by the head ref. I noticed this immediately, put the bar back to arm's length, and completed what would have been a good lift but, by all rights, should have been give 3 red lights. I got one white, not sure why I even got that. I retook my opener for my 2nd attempt, got it, and since I knew I wasn't feeling my best, decided to go for the same weight as my PR achieved 3 months ago, but I failed it. Again, form wasn't good, again I know what I did wrong, but I just didn't have the brain power in the moment to do what I needed to do in order to successfully complete the lift.

Deadlift: 2 for 3. I got my first 2, and went for a new recent PR by 2.5 kg but didn't get it.

Because I got at least 1 of each lift, I stayed in the meet, and took home my gold medal. My total worked to be 315 kg; my total 3 months ago was 350 kg.

SQ:
April: 90, 95, 100 kg
July: 97.5 kg, fail 105, fail 105

BP:
April: 82.5 kg, 87.5 kg, skipped 3rd
July: 80 kg fail, 80 good, 87.5 kg fail

DL:
April: 150 kg, 162.5 kg, skipped 3rd
July: 145 kg, 155 kg, 165 kg fail

I'll write more later in a few days when I'm home again.

-S-

View attachment 14263
  • I got the gold medal for Raw, Male, 67.5 kg weight class, 65-69 years old.

• I was the only Raw, Male, 67.5 kg weight class, 65-69 year old lifter at the meet.

• Both my wife and my youngest son, age 24, came with me, and while I had a great time with them, it was also distracting. My son had never seen me compete because he'd never been to a PL meet, so he came along for the first part of the trip then went off to hang with old high school friends in the area.

• It was also my third PL meet in 3 months, and I really felt that.

• 2 items of good news: 1) I made 9 attempts for the first time in 15+ years. 2) I had a great time with my wife and my son, and my son left us to hang with friends and I'm having a great rest of the trip with my wife.
Squat: 1 for 3. My form was a bit off - more on this later - and as a result, I wasn't getting as deep as I thought I was. I got red-lighted by one side judge on my first squat, then red-lighted by both side judges on my 2nd and 3rd attempts. I'm still away - when I'm home, I'll add some pictures and video, and you'll see that if I was, in fact, high, I was certainly very close to legal squat depth.

Bench Press: 1 for 3. My first attempt, after I got the hand-off, I started to lower the bar before having been given the Start command by the head ref. I noticed this immediately, put the bar back to arm's length, and completed what would have been a good lift but, by all rights, should have been give 3 red lights. I got one white, not sure why I even got that. I retook my opener for my 2nd attempt, got it, and since I knew I wasn't feeling my best, decided to go for the same weight as my PR achieved 3 months ago, but I failed it. Again, form wasn't good, again I know what I did wrong, but I just didn't have the brain power in the moment to do what I needed to do in order to successfully complete the lift.

Deadlift: 2 for 3. I got my first 2, and went for a new recent PR by 2.5 kg but didn't get it.

Because I got at least 1 of each lift, I stayed in the meet, and took home my gold medal. My total worked to be 315 kg; my total 3 months ago was 350 kg.

SQ:
April: 90, 95, 100 kg
July: 97.5 kg, fail 105, fail 105

BP:
April: 82.5 kg, 87.5 kg, skipped 3rd
July: 80 kg fail, 80 good, 87.5 kg fail

DL:
April: 150 kg, 162.5 kg, skipped 3rd
July: 145 kg, 155 kg, 165 kg fail

I'll write more later in a few days when I'm home again.

-S-
Great job Steve. If you're interested the 11100% RAW power lifting worlds are being held in Virginia Beach October 30. I'm thinking of doing deadlift only. From past meets, there's no pre-req for the worlds.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom