all posts post new thread

Barbell Meet Report - USPA, November 7, 2020, Latham, NY

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
A few stories and observations from this one; the executive summary is immediately below.
  • I set a USPA American Record in the Deadlift, Single Lift, in the M65-69, 67.5 kg age/weight class, Raw Division of 147.5 kg.

• This meet marked my return to 3-lift powerlifting (except for one miserable attempt 3 years ago), and I went 8 for 9, missing my last DL attempt which would have broken a different USPA national DL record. (More on that below.) My last real 3-lift meets were perhaps 10 or 15 years ago, long enough ago that I don't remember the dates.
And that's the executive summary. You may continue reading at your own risk. :)

I was the oldest lifter at the meet.

My most recent meets have been in the USAPL, where only same-day, 2-hour weigh-ins are allowed, and where my weight class tops off at 66 kg (145.6 lb). This USPA meet featured not only the option to weigh-in the evening before, you could also weigh-in the _morning_ before - that's what I did - and they didn't even offer same-day weigh-ins. And my weight class tops off at 67.5 kg (148.7 lb). For a lifter like me, who lives at about 69 kg (152 lb), both the higher allowed weight and the 24-hour weigh-ins are wonderful. Does this make the competition less fair, since I had put back on 3 lbs by the time the next morning rolled around? It does. Do I care all that much? No, I don't. I will continue to work on making weight for the USAPL easier on myself by trying to keep my weight lower away from competition period. To me, competing in the USAPL is competing on the world stage in a way nothing else is, and I do value that.

The timing of this Saturday meet was perfect for me because my wife, who's a school teacher, had no school for the two days before, and with the meet about 2 hours away from where we live by car, I rearranged my schedule so that we could drive there on Thursday evening, I could weigh-in on Friday morning, and then we could have the day Friday to enjoy ourselves before I lifted on Saturday and we then drove home. And Friday was a near-perfect vacation day for us - the meet location was near Saratoga, NY, a lovely town to walk around in, and near Saratoga Lake, which we drove around. The weather was perfect, and we had my wife's car, a Mini Cooper convertible, so we drove around with the top down and had a grand time.

In the USPA, before yesterday, for my age/weight/division, for my state of New Jersey, there were absolutely no records - zero, nada, zilch. So every lift I did set a USPA New Jersey record.

As always for me, no belt, and no worries about what sort of wrist and knee things are allowed because I don't use them. SQ and BP in Chuck Taylors, DL in deadlift slippers.

And now for the lifting:

SQ: I just looked at my training log - I did my first squats less than a month ago, so I decided to take it easy here. I went for 70, 75, and 80 kg and got them all pretty easily.

BP: I decided perhaps 6 months ago that I wanted to return to 3-lift competing, and decided to focus on the bench press first. With a few months of decent BP training under my belt, I managed a recent PR of 85 kg (187 lbs). I've never trained my BP much, and my lifetime best is only 190 lbs, set when I was in my 40's, so at age 65 and with more training to come, I feel confident that I can continue to improve my bench. My attempts were 75, 80, and 85 kg, and the last one took about 8 or 9 seconds complete, from the "press" command with the bar on my chest, to the lockout. It got a big round of applause from the room, but unfortunately the video didn't come out too well so there's not much point in posting it.

DL: The American record situation was a bit odd here. Normally, the single-lift records are heavier than the 3-lift versions because you're less tired if you only have to do a single lift. But in order to have a lift count for both single-lift and 3-lift, you have to register in an extra division, for which there is an extra fee. The 3-lift DL American record was/is 160 kg. The single lift record, when I first looked it up, was only 130 kg, so I planned to open at 135 kg and break the existing American record, take a middling 2nd attempt, and then try for 161 kg on my third attempt.

However, last month, someone set a new single-lift DL record of 145 kg, so my opener of 135 didn't break anything. I decided to do 147.5 kg for my second, to set the single-lift record without tiring myself out too much, and then go for 161 kg for my third. I got 135 kg, I got 147.5 kg (video below) and I failed at 161 kg.

I note that, for the last 10 years or so, I have only taken 2 deadlift attempts at meets - until recently, when I started taking a 3rd attempt. My experience with 3rd DL attempts hasn't been great, but I think this is something of a function of my relatively low-volume training. I'm of the opinion that, if I up my training volume, and in particular if I add some kettlebell ballistics in more than the minimalist amount I've been doing them, I think I can manage a decent 3rd DL in competition. But that, of course, remains to be seen.

All in all, I didn't get the lift I wanted the most, so I'm disappointed, but I went 8 for 9 and gave the kind of effort on my 3rd bench press that I had hoped I'd be able to give on my 3rd DL and it got me a new recent PR, and I had a great couple of days with my wife roaming around Albany, NY, and environs, so we'll consider it a successful outing.

An interesting note, at least in my mind, is that when it comes to my final DL competition lifts, I'm feeling lately like that saying, "The operation was a success but the patient died." I am, in all ways except my final meet DL's, doing great. My problem shoulders are moving better and more strongly than ever, I'm healthy, and my training work capacity is higher in many ways than it's ever been. So we carry on, and hopefully keep improving and return to form with heavy competition deadlifts at some point in the not-too-distant future.

NB: USAPL meets during this time of COVID-19 have been very strict about mask wearing; this one was not, and that's part of the reason we don't have more videos. My wife, after seeing what was going on, decided she really didn't want to be in the room. If you plan on competing in these strange times, keep in mind that while everyone is supposed to adhere to the same rules, the degree of adherence can vary quite a bit.

-S-

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Steve, this is great!

An interesting note, at least in my mind, is that when it comes to my final DL competition lifts, I'm feeling lately like that saying, "The operation was a success but the patient died." I am, in all ways except my final meet DL's, doing great.

Is it possible you are going into these meets a little over-trained? For me, personally, I like to take my last heavy single about 3 weeks out from the meet (pretty much max %). 2 weeks out I deload, light weight singles, but focus on technique (60 or 65%). 1 week out I lift my final meet warmups, ~85%, and cancel most heavy accessory work. I feel so rested/under-trained that my nervous system is screaming at me to lift something come the meet!

Something else to consider... Not sure what you do... But for off season I like separating the 3 lifts, in terms of training days. For a meet prep, I like to get used to lifting all 3 lifts in 1 session. 9 max, or almost max, attempts can be tough. Maybe you are just running out of gas on that 9th lift?

I believe that you don't routinely train the powerlifting low bar back squat, right? Do you plan on continuing to do so? I only mention it because it has built my deadlift. It would not surprise me at all if you added weight to your low bar back squat that it would build your deadlift (even with minimal deadlift training).

I would love to see that 8 sec press. Epic! You deserved an applause!

Thanks for sharing. I always take away something, from these types of shared experiences, that help me with my own meets.

Regards,

Eric

Is it possible you are going into these meets a little over-trained?
Yes, it's certainly possible. My training has been pretty disorganized as I've added squatting and bench pressing to my program.

I would love to see that 8 sec press. Epic! You deserved an applause!
Here you go:

If you watch the clock, which comes in and out of the picture, you can see it says 23 seconds when the press command is given, and it's around 15 seconds when the bar gets racked. You can see more of the spotters than you can see of me.

I believe that you don't routinely train the powerlifting low bar back squat, right? Do you plan on continuing to do so? I only mention it because it has built my deadlift. It would not surprise me at all if you added weight to your low bar back squat that it would build your deadlift (even with minimal deadlift training).
Shortly after I'd started lifting, I did a 3-lift meet in which I squatted 110 kg, I don't remember the BP, but then I DL'ed 165 kg. Squatting heavier definitely helped my DL strength. That meet SQ got me 1 red light for depth but still passed. I always return to squatting with front squats, then high bar back squats, but for the last few weeks, it's been low bar.

I have a bit of an anatomical oddity on my upper back - I have lump on each side, both at about the same relative spot, that my doctor has termed "hypertrophic scar tissue." It's yet another hereditary thing, this time across genders as both my sister and I have had them. I had some on my head removed a few years ago and then went well, but I've never gotten around to having them removed from my upper back - I believe that where these scars are is exactly where the bar should sit for a low-bar squat, so I cannot say that I'm exactly doing a low bar squat "by the book" but that is my aim.

I would summarize my approach to powerlifting these days as trying to balance an "ease in and be happy with whatever you get" approach to the squat and bench press with a relatively obsessed approach to the deadlift. Balance those things, and helping my two sons as they start their adult lives, and worrying about my wife being a school teacher in the age of covid, and taking care of my 99-year-old mother-in-law as best I'm able, and doing volunteer work in my town, and all that.

While I'm rambling on here, and to circle back to your comment about possible overtraining, my quandry with my deadlift is that it's just not hard until it's heavy and therefore it's all too easy to overtrain. The solution lies in being more attentive to my form with lighter weights, which I've just gotten lazy about doing, and then not going so heavy in training. My BP really benefitted from things like sets of 10 with 135 lbs in training, and even pyramids of 135, 145, 155 stopping a rep or two short of failure. Lots of volume with moderate weights is a good formula, and the hallmark of PlanStrong, and if I can wrap my head around actually paying attention to my form when I deadlift, I may yet improve at it.

-S-

Something else to consider... Not sure what you do... But for off season I like separating the 3 lifts, in terms of training days. For a meet prep, I like to get used to lifting all 3 lifts in 1 session. 9 max, or almost max, attempts can be tough. Maybe you are just running out of gas on that 9th lift?
For the last month leading up to the meet, I followed a pretty simple rotation: every lifting day, do all three lifts but go heavy or high volume on one lift. So it looked something like this:

SQ heavy volume, BP minimal, DL minimal
SQ minimal, BP high intensity, DL minimal
SQ minimal, BP minimal, DL heavy volume
Q&D-ish
SQ high intensity, BP minimal, DL minimal
SQ minimal, BP high volume, DL minimal
SQ minimal, BP minimal, DL high intensity
Q&D-ish

and off days as needed. Simplified, it would look like this

Doing all 3 lifts on PL days:

SQ volume
BP heavy
DL volume
Swings

SQ heavy
BP volume
DL heavy
Swings

My adjustments were to leave out the "DL minimal" on days when I felt too fatigued, and to leave out the SQ, BP, or both on DL days when I felt I wanted to put all my energy into my DL. This also helped on days when I ran out of time.

-S-

I keep replying here ...

The sharp movement of the bar towards my head, which you can clearly see in the BP video at about the 8-second mark (of the video, not the clock), is me kicking in with leg drive as I felt the bar not wanting to move further.

-S-

Yes, it's certainly possible. My training has been pretty disorganized as I've added squatting and bench pressing to my program.

Here you go:

If you watch the clock, which comes in and out of the picture, you can see it says 23 seconds when the press command is given, and it's around 15 seconds when the bar gets racked. You can see more of the spotters than you can see of me.

Shortly after I'd started lifting, I did a 3-lift meet in which I squatted 110 kg, I don't remember the BP, but then I DL'ed 165 kg. Squatting heavier definitely helped my DL strength. That meet SQ got me 1 red light for depth but still passed. I always return to squatting with front squats, then high bar back squats, but for the last few weeks, it's been low bar.

I have a bit of an anatomical oddity on my upper back - I have lump on each side, both at about the same relative spot, that my doctor has termed "hypertrophic scar tissue." It's yet another hereditary thing, this time across genders as both my sister and I have had them. I had some on my head removed a few years ago and then went well, but I've never gotten around to having them removed from my upper back - I believe that where these scars are is exactly where the bar should sit for a low-bar squat, so I cannot say that I'm exactly doing a low bar squat "by the book" but that is my aim.

I would summarize my approach to powerlifting these days as trying to balance an "ease in and be happy with whatever you get" approach to the squat and bench press with a relatively obsessed approach to the deadlift. Balance those things, and helping my two sons as they start their adult lives, and worrying about my wife being a school teacher in the age of covid, and taking care of my 99-year-old mother-in-law as best I'm able, and doing volunteer work in my town, and all that.

While I'm rambling on here, and to circle back to your comment about possible overtraining, my quandry with my deadlift is that it's just not hard until it's heavy and therefore it's all too easy to overtrain. The solution lies in being more attentive to my form with lighter weights, which I've just gotten lazy about doing, and then not going so heavy in training. My BP really benefitted from things like sets of 10 with 135 lbs in training, and even pyramids of 135, 145, 155 stopping a rep or two short of failure. Lots of volume with moderate weights is a good formula, and the hallmark of PlanStrong, and if I can wrap my head around actually paying attention to my form when I deadlift, I may yet improve at it.

-S-

Thanks for sharing. That press was epic! Honestly, it would not surprise me if that effort fatigued you a bit. Deadlifting in a full power meet is much tougher than as a single lift.

When I train the deadlift, I try to avoid going too heavy too often. Even when peaking. It is such a mental lift for me, and most of the time I am not right in the head! On a bad day, 80% can feel heavy and on a good day 95% goes up easy. I dont experience this with any other lift. I agree with you, overtraining is easy in the deadlift. For me, I just really limit how heavy I go. And when I do go heavy, I dont stay there long. On the limited Planstrong programs I've done, I rarely deadlifted above 85% until the peaking cycle.

Yesterday I just did 2 sets of 2 reps with 95%RM on a super stiff bar. This is a PR for me. In the last 2 months, with the exception of 2 or 3 training session where I did 4x4 or 5x5 with 70 or 75%, the only deadlifting I did was 10 singles at 50%RM once per week (focusing on technical mastery). This was an experiment of sorts... A deadlift PR built with very little deadlifting. What drove this was paused front squats and tons of volume with box squats with a safety squat bar. I'm sharing this because it was kind of an experiment for me. Something I never tried before.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom