all posts post new thread

Barbell Meet Report - WNPF, June 4, 2017

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@LoriLifts, I will post my training and competition approach in its own thread sometime soon, but part of the reason the lift looks relatively easy is that it's calculated to be 96% of my current 1RM, not 100%. I do a couple of singles at 92% about 10 days before the meet, take 96% as my second attempt, and then go home - no third pulls for me.

And in my mind, that's about what 96% should look like. If you want to see 100%, you can find my ugly 2014 meet pull on my YouTube channel. It was 5 lbs. less than this, but it was all I had on that day, and took 11 or 12 seconds to complete, if memory serves.

Thank for the good words!

-S-

@NoahMarek, I just noticed the "post back-surgery" reference.

I did not have back surgery. At the time of my injury, my doctor explained to me that I was about as bad as one could be and still have a choice about surgery, but that if I was willing to tough it out through what promised to be a lengthy recovery, I would likely end up better in the long run.

I took his advice. The choice, as he explained it further, was that surgery would have gotten me back to functionality more quickly, but that many people who have back surgery never return to 100%. He knew I was an active person and thought I should make that choice myself, and now that I look back, I see that the 20th anniversary of my back injury is coming up next month and I know I made a good decision to avoid the surgery. As I've noted elsewhere, I was about 18 months from the time of my injury until the time I could walk without a limp again - it was a long, slow, gradual process.

@Carl in Dover and everyone else, thank you for saying nice things about me - always appreciated.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom