all posts post new thread

Barbell Meet Report: WNPF World's, Nov. 12, 2016

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
After not pulling in a meet for 18 months, I pulled 330 lbs. this past Spring, did the Daily Dose Deadlift based on a 365 lb. max, and went 2 for 2 today. I opened with 320 lbs., a weight I've done in training and posted video about here, then did 350, which was heavy but not quite at my limit, and decided to call it a day. If I'd felt full of energy, I might have gone for a lifetime PR of 370 for my third but I generally only pull twice at a meet, and that's what felt right to me today.

A new world record in the WNPF, which is no big deal because the world records started afresh today in this federation. Also broke my own state and national records, again no big deal because the fresh records started in the WNPF about a year ago. There aren't many lifters as my direct competition: Male, Raw Division, 61-65 years old, 67.5 kg (148.7 lbs.) of bodyweight. No belt, deadlift slippers.

My plan is to find another meet in May of 2017, and to take the next three months with "specialized variety" lifts, likely barbell back squat and barbell bench press, plus sumo deadlift. In mid-February, I'll switch back to training for my next meet directly and, depending on how the "variety" season goes, I might try being a 3-lifter again.

-S-

Awesome job, Steve! Glad you got a video. Thanks for sharing.

Hello,

Nice video !

How are y ou preparing this kind of event ? Daily Dose only, 5/3/1, 5*5 ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

My thanks to all of you for your kind words and your Likes - all noticed and very much appreciated.

Nice video !
We thank my wife for that.

How are y ou preparing this kind of event ? Daily Dose only, 5/3/1, 5*5 ?
Daily Dose Deadlift. I averaged 4.1 deadlift days out of every 7, not quite the 5 out of 7 the program prescribes. The program works brilliantly well for me, almost too well because a few times, I turned the prescribed 5 singles into a set of 5, or I added weight to the prescribed 75%, and after all those times, I paid the price in not feeling as fresh the following day or days. I will certainly revisit this program again in the future.

The heavier days along the way - 90% at the midway point, then 87 and 92% near the end - were just the right preparation for lifting heavy at the meet. I pulled 320 lbs., my 87%, pretty easily as posted here, and used it for my opener. Although pulling 340 lbs. a week ago was much more difficult and I only did 3 singles, knowing that I had pulled 3 singles at 340 on a few minutes rest gave me confidence to select 350 as my second lift and be almost assured that I'd get it.

So how do you sum you DDD experience?
I am a skills-based lifter and had never before tried a program with such a high DL frequency in terms of training days per week. It worked great for me.

Great, great work Steve! Congratulations! WR!!
Showing up is, indeed, 90% of success. I registered for the meet, I picked a training program, I followed it, I showed up at the meet, and I executed my lifts. What I did is something anyone who is willing to practice the skill of deadlifting can do.

-S-

After not pulling in a meet for 18 months, I pulled 330 lbs. this past Spring, did the Daily Dose Deadlift based on a 365 lb. max, and went 2 for 2 today. I opened with 320 lbs., a weight I've done in training and posted video about here, then did 350, which was heavy but not quite at my limit, and decided to call it a day. If I'd felt full of energy, I might have gone for a lifetime PR of 370 for my third but I generally only pull twice at a meet, and that's what felt right to me today.

A new world record in the WNPF, which is no big deal because the world records started afresh today in this federation. Also broke my own state and national records, again no big deal because the fresh records started in the WNPF about a year ago. There aren't many lifters as my direct competition: Male, Raw Division, 61-65 years old, 67.5 kg (148.7 lbs.) of bodyweight. No belt, deadlift slippers.

My plan is to find another meet in May of 2017, and to take the next three months with "specialized variety" lifts, likely barbell back squat and barbell bench press, plus sumo deadlift. In mid-February, I'll switch back to training for my next meet directly and, depending on how the "variety" season goes, I might try being a 3-lifter again.

-S-

Way to keep pulling Steve! Solid.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom