all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mega Anabolic Window or Just Super Compensation?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
I've had this happen before, but I've never really had a solid understanding as to why it happens.

I just started my 1st day of post weightlifting competition hypertrophy training and, as often happens, the 'pump effect' right after competition is nuts. Like when you put on the same t-shirt as your wore a week ago and you can tell your upper body is bigger.

I know it won't be this extreme in a few weeks, so it's a temporary effect.

I've read about Tommy Kono mentioning a similar effect when he would switching immediately after weightlifting competition to bodybuilding:

Just some "bro science" theories I've run across:

1. The multiple PR attempts, and (unsustainably) high adrenaline, create a 'mega anabolic window' as a response to an extreme stressor.

2. The bodybuilding pump work is novel by almost all criteria: weight, rep ranges, volume, and specific exercises. Ergo, the stimulus to response ratio is very good.

3. It's just periodization -- the recovery cost of heavy competition training has been removed, allowing for text book super compensation and faster adaptation to new, but lesser, stressors.

I'd be curious to hear if others have observed similar effects after training for, and completing, a competitive athletic event.

And any alternative theories.

Hard to say, when I was gunning hard on hypertrophy I would start every day and feel a little flat, by 10am my shirt would be tight and by end of day I’d swear I was a little bigger than yesterday.

A big part of it is where the blood goes and how much extra the body is making due to extended period of increased blood in the extremeties.

I've had this happen before, but I've never really had a solid understanding as to why it happens.

I just started my 1st day of post weightlifting competition hypertrophy training and, as often happens, the 'pump effect' right after competition is nuts. Like when you put on the same t-shirt as your wore a week ago and you can tell your upper body is bigger.

I know it won't be this extreme in a few weeks, so it's a temporary effect.

I've read about Tommy Kono mentioning a similar effect when he would switching immediately after weightlifting competition to bodybuilding:

Just some "bro science" theories I've run across:

1. The multiple PR attempts, and (unsustainably) high adrenaline, create a 'mega anabolic window' as a response to an extreme stressor.

2. The bodybuilding pump work is novel by almost all criteria: weight, rep ranges, volume, and specific exercises. Ergo, the stimulus to response ratio is very good.

3. It's just periodization -- the recovery cost of heavy competition training has been removed, allowing for text book super compensation and faster adaptation to new, but lesser, stressors.

I'd be curious to hear if others have observed similar effects after training for, and completing, a competitive athletic event.

And any alternative theories.
I had a similar experience after a bodyweight competition.

I have never been in this situation. So take this with a grain of salt.
a) Growth is not linear. Also not in children. The feeling that they have grown overnight, seems to be correct. Plants don't grow linearly as well. So maybe the effect of strong stimulus + rest + new stimulus ist triggering a growth spurt of sort. (Btw: it is similar with cognitive learning, motor skills, and the development of value systems etc. -- changes often occur in qualitative steps after longer bouts of repeated stimuli/effort.)
b) The effect might have a psychological part as well, as we tend to notice contrasts in the beginning and then get used to it quickly.

Did you use supercompensation in order to peak for competition?
I ask because my experience with supercompensation has been mostly in track and field. We would have a pretty hard training session 2-3 days out from the target competition since the effect occurs 40-72 hours after the intense session. In our case it was coupled with the cessation of strength training as well, usually a couple of weeks before the targeted meet. Our more advanced kids could maintain their peak for up to three weeks so I was wondering how long you find yourself in this peak phase.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a bodyweight competition?

Are there competitions dedicated to how many pull ups, push ups, etc, one can do?
yes .
one arm pushups,one arm pullups , mucle ups ,L sits ect
Its a 3 mile course that has bodyweight station every one hundred meters or so.
the purpose is to do the course in the least amount of time

Last edited:
2nd session of hypertrophy block.

Same results, insane pumps.

And the fatigue levels? After peaking for competition? And the conditioning for 1 min rests?

Pfft.....this is cake.

My MEV seems to be super low right now, and my MRV seems to have a lot of volume room to grow into.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom