all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Metastudy on creatine side effects

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Creatine affects my mood. Apparently a rare side effect of those who are prone to mental health difficulties and neurochemical imbalances. :(

Where can we find info on this
I just remember googling a lot and finding studies when I started taking creatine and my mood dropped. Quite a rare side effect and you get a lot of people saying it's a ridiculous claim, but there's a lot of people out there who have experienced similar and enquired about it.

I just take creatine a few week ago. My brain was foggy back then and I think this probably the diet problem. I don't want to add more animal product to my eating so I start using creatine. I feel less foggy now but probably because I just drop my job...If anything cool happends I will report in here.

I just take creatine a few week ago. My brain was foggy back then and I think this probably the diet problem. I don't want to add more animal product to my eating so I start using creatine. I feel less foggy now but probably because I just drop my job...If anything cool happends I will report in here.
It has done cool things like improve cognitive function in sleep deprived populations and traumatic brain injury populations.

It is a fantastic supplement for sure.

I used it in the past. It did not increase my strength ,the only thing it did was giving me a bloated belly. Also it gave me diarrea. For me it is a no go because I have intestinal problems very quick.

I just remember googling a lot and finding studies when I started taking creatine and my mood dropped. Quite a rare side effect and you get a lot of people saying it's a ridiculous claim, but there's a lot of people out there who have experienced similar and enquired about it.
It has been studied in the past for sure.

The study I found showed that it improves depression significantly instead of worsens it. (Study where they were testing it as a supplement for antidepressants in women) I found another study that mentions it improved participants general sense of well being, but this one was a lot less sure of itself as they were looking at other things primarily. Creatine supplementation during pulmonary rehabilitation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - PubMed

It also seems to help women more than men (when it comes to improving depression) from some of the commentary I'm reading on it.

I used it in the past. It did not increase my strength ,the only thing it did was giving me a bloated belly. Also it gave me diarrea. For me it is a no go because I have intestinal problems very quick.
That might be a dosing issue. There is some straight up stupid advice all over the internet on loading it. I found one calculator that recommended me to start at 33g a day... That is enough to give anyone some stomach issues.

For a male around 150-220lb 5g a day is fine. There isn't really a need to do one of those loading phases.

Alternatively you can also look at the different forms of creatine like creatine HCL. It is more expensive but seems to go down easier for some people.

The study I found showed that it improves depression significantly instead of worsens it.
Yeah that was discussed in this podcast (link is to the point about creatine)... very interesting.

I'm currently taking Kre-Alkalyn Creatine, now sports brand, 1.5g/day. I think I notice a positive effect during training, especially sets of squats, but really don't notice anything else.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but just to get a better understanding out there of what creatine does. To my understanding creatine is one of the main (naturally occurring) components used to build ATP (what we use to contract our muscles). Since were all Strongfirst here we know that we only have limited stores of ATP. (This is where i get foggy) So once we use those ATP we can use the creatine to make more aerobically? Or is it that we just have better recovery/gains post training?
Aye pretty much. When a muscle contracts the chemical chain of one adenosine triphosphate gets broken, creating adenosine diphosphate. The body then needs to fine another single phosphate molecule to bind the adenosine diphosphate to to create more adenosine triphosphate. So like you say the idea is having all this excess phosphate in your body from the creatine enables in theory more reps and quicker recovery between sets. I’m no chemist or expert by any measure but that’s how I’ve heard it explained.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom