all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Metastudy on creatine side effects

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeanneRising

Level 2 Valued Member
I was thinking about supplementing with creatine the last days - as many here do AFAIR. While researching side effects in the areas of digestive problems and hair loss I found this relatively new meta study and thought it might be interesting for some of you, since it evaluates the data of quite a few studies that came beforehand:

I've definitely experienced marked increase in body weight during the loading phase of creatine but can't recall (and don't have the data) whether my weight stabilised or reverted over the longer term. I've been taking it pretty much continuously now for a few years

The first time using it I thought I gained a bunch of water weight, since then coming on and off of it I haven't noticed any notable water gain. Am also not clear on if it promotes mass gain of any kind by itself. It allows a slight but noticeable boost in strength endurance at high % RM.

I mostly take it because I believe it helps with training intensity and recovery and is very inexpensive nowadays. If it cost 2x what I pay, I'd probably stop taking it.

I consistently read its one of the few supplements with evidence of results. Though they claim there's no real difference in brands, I have felt anecdotal differences between brands. I'm to the point in life now that I'm buying a brand I trust (Beverly) vs shopping around to save a few bucks.

I heard enough good things about creatine to give it a try but haven't noticed anything. Are you supposed to be able to tell the difference between taking it or not?

It kind of blows my mind a little that some people still think creatine is a steroid.

I’ve taken it off and I’m in the past and noticed a mild increase in work capacity. Nothing huge, just enough to notice.

There’s also some research into the effects of creatine on brain function, though it appears to have the greatest effect on those whose brain function is impaired in some way.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but just to get a better understanding out there of what creatine does. To my understanding creatine is one of the main (naturally occurring) components used to build ATP (what we use to contract our muscles). Since were all Strongfirst here we know that we only have limited stores of ATP. (This is where i get foggy) So once we use those ATP we can use the creatine to make more aerobically? Or is it that we just have better recovery/gains post training?

Please correct me if i am wrong, but just to get a better understanding out there of what creatine does. To my understanding creatine is one of the main (naturally occurring) components used to build ATP (what we use to contract our muscles). Since were all Strongfirst here we know that we only have limited stores of ATP. (This is where i get foggy) So once we use those ATP we can use the creatine to make more aerobically? Or is it that we just have better recovery/gains post training?
I"m out of my depth on the details, but PCr is the recharge agent used by fast twitch to restore ATP from ADP. The higher your creatine stores, the larger the potential storehouse of PCr that can be used initially, and re-phosphorylated aerobically via fats or pyruvate, the more high octane fuel you have for fast twitch.

I started creatine supplements again a couple of months ago because I was in a caloric deficit and noticed a decrease in my lifting capacity, probably at least partially due to eating less red meat and other dietary creatine. The supplement seemed to help bring my lifting capacity back up to normal, while still eating less than normal. No worries on safety here, even with just one kidney (I consulted with my nephrologist brother). But whereas back in 2018, I was taking 5g/day of creatine monohydrate, a pretty standard format and dose, this time I'm taking 1.5g/day of Kre-Alkalyn creatine (buffered creatine monohydrate), and didn't do any pre-loading. I think it's worth experimenting with, but it's usually going to be like a 5-10% difference, so you have to be pretty closely tuned in to your normal performance to really know if it's helping you or not.

...it's usually going to be like a 5-10% difference, so you have to be pretty closely tuned in to your normal performance to really know if it's helping you or not.

Yep. If you aren't either going hard or trying to gain weight you might not really notice a difference.

5-10% is dead-on. You'll def notice if you're running close to your recoverable limit or consistently working with heavy loads. I definitely noticed it when doing Cluster Sets.

I started creatine supplements again a couple of months ago because I was in a caloric deficit and noticed a decrease in my lifting capacity, probably at least partially due to eating less red meat and other dietary creatine. The supplement seemed to help bring my lifting capacity back up to normal, while still eating less than normal. No worries on safety here, even with just one kidney (I consulted with my nephrologist brother). But whereas back in 2018, I was taking 5g/day of creatine monohydrate, a pretty standard format and dose, this time I'm taking 1.5g/day of Kre-Alkalyn creatine (buffered creatine monohydrate), and didn't do any pre-loading. I think it's worth experimenting with, but it's usually going to be like a 5-10% difference, so you have to be pretty closely tuned in to your normal performance to really know if it's helping you or not.
For me, I don’t sense any difference (ie I feel the same) but my training logs show a consistent one rep gain around my 75% rep max. Eg I lift for 11 reps what I used to lift for 10. I can see that for multiple instances of creatine usage over about 10 years or so. I rarely lift above 75% RM so I don’t have data on Creatine effect at higher intensities

I use creatine for cns recovery. The only time I notice any difference is during a block of max intensity sprinting. Even then, in a vague not feeling as knackered and less jittery in a hard to pin down exact way. But noticeable nonetheless.
Never noticed any difference strength training wise but perhaps the intensity isn't high enough....
Hair loss? Can't comment as I have no hair anyway....
Why is there no supplement that has hair gain as a side effect?

I rely entirely on food for creatine.
I'm fascinated by the side effects of Creatine supplements. It must be something in the packaging that the body has to metabolize.

There's approximately 5 grams creatine per kilo of beef. It does break down during cooking and become less available. So, if you wanna play it safe, err on the rare side for your steak and burgers. You'll get a little more creatine from it.

I've been approximately carnivore for years, and I always notice less energy when I'm off my usual 1-2lbs ground beef per day. Just had 12 patties from in n out for lunch today. Or, for the whole day, actually.

Fish, chicken, pork, etc. Always less energy for me.

I have read that pork can have high levels of nandrolone , for gainz, apparently from non neutered male pork. But that's another story.

Last edited:
A lot of good info. on creatine from Huberman Lab. Click on the episode, find creatine in the time-stamp.
Physical, cognitive, psychological benefits.

I agree....my own theory based solely on my own musings and entirely tainted by red wine and pondering is....the known benefits related to exercise science were driven by known and established function of creatine in muscle cells, without reference to other pathways.

So it could be, given further knowledge gained about creatine's many roles in atp production, that it is these other benefits in total rather than 'just' in isolation of muscle metabolism.

It is complicated. It's not just more creatine in muscle cells = enhanced power availability, although for some that could be the case. It is more about total metabolic health and where, if at all, metabolism is compromised and limited. All of which is governed by the cns....so if that is limited in its ability to fire appropriately then muscle creatine becomes redundant, in a way and so creatine supplement makes no difference....just food for thought and total speculation....
I'm placing my bets that creatine is more significant to neuronal atp supply than to muscle and open up a new culture war.

Creatine does promote intracellular water retention. Which is a good thing. We want these tissues to be better hydrated.

The bros back in the day used to say "you're bloated because of the creatine" and other crap like that.

Now we know...no...it's your poor dietary habits.

Creatine monohydrate is cheap and effective. Unless you are one of few who is allergic there is no reason to not implement it into your diet and supplementation model.

Just eat more steak lol. I understand creatine is relatively safe just like protein powders but as I’ve aged and learned my body in particular doesn’t take to supplements. Especially the gut biome. I push the all natural animal based diet with some fruits and veggies…lots of beef bone broth (over powder protein shakes) for me it’s all about general health and well being now
Over getting big. A lot of these products irritate our gut biome and that’s why people joke about “creatine, pre workout, protein s***s”. Just my two cents but do what’s good for you. IMO there’s nothing Bette than eggs, grass fed steak, chicken, lamb, bone broth, and bone marrow. You can get results in strength muscle and health.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom