all posts post new thread

Barbell Micro sessions for deadlift progress

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kyle Kowalczuk

Level 5 Valued Member
So I have used micro sessions to practice my barbell deadlift for a little while now. I’ve had great results. I was feeling good while working from a deficit so I removed up to a heavy single on the day. Any one else tried micros? I have a link to my blog where I discussed them recently.
kowalczuk83.wixsite.com/mysite

@Kyle Kowalczuk, how is a micro session different, in concept and/or in implementation, than GTG? Longer sessions and fewer than GTG?

Thanks.

-S-
I have used both. Both are great protocols for different reason and different movements. The micro sessions have a specific purpose for a 15-20 min session. So in my case of the deadlift. It was build to a heavy single then a back off set for 5. I did nothing else during that session. Later in the day had a press micro session in which the goal was to increase pressing strength. Once again I did nothing else except pressing practice during that session which lasted about 15 min.

When I do GTG I will use the same movement but over the course of several hours with very long rests in between. Such as pull ups. A set of 15 one hour and then a set of 15 the next hour. So on and so forth. Build great volume this way but not too much metabolic fatigue overall.

Overall I guess it could be stated that micro session have more density and GTG will have more volume for a given training day.

Thanks, @Kyle Kowalczuk.

I did something similar when I was learning to press a kettlebell for the first time. Once I'd gotten to a weight I could press once, I would do a few short sessions during the day, typically two or three session, at the beginning all singles, as a way to build up some volume, and that increase in volume then got me to be able to press that weight for more than just one rep. More than two or three sessions in a day would have resulted in too much CNS fatigue. For me and at that time, once I could get two or three reps in a set, I went back to more a more traditional training structure.

Good stuff - thanks again.

-S-

Thanks, @Kyle Kowalczuk.

I did something similar when I was learning to press a kettlebell for the first time. Once I'd gotten to a weight I could press once, I would do a few short sessions during the day, typically two or three session, at the beginning all singles, as a way to build up some volume, and that increase in volume then got me to be able to press that weight for more than just one rep. More than two or three sessions in a day would have resulted in too much CNS fatigue. For me and at that time, once I could get two or three reps in a set, I went back to more a more traditional training structure.

Good stuff - thanks again.

-S-
Very cool. I've also done something like that when I dabbled in crossfit. I couldn't handle the volume prescribed in one session so I had to split the same movement into strength and then volume/endurance. Which is probably a sign I just wasn't built for crossfit. But that is another story lol...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom