all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Mid-FPP reevaluation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tom87

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi

I'm 2 cycles into basic FPP for chin ups, and push ups with a resistance band.
The question is about pull ups :
Before starting, I tested my max chins and did 7, thus I began with 5 4 3 2 1.
I did 5 days and tested on the "rest day" and got 10 reps. I kept on starting with 6 5 4 3 2 for 5 days, and today on the rest day, I tested and got 12 (hard) reps.
Do you think I should keep going starting the third cycle with 7 6 5 4 3, even with a max of 12 ? Or should I go straight to 8 ?

Useful information :
I'm doing it GTG, a lot of rest, thus it feels rather easy.
I'm on a break from my sport due to being out of town, for 3 weeks more, then I'll be back into training and competition. So it feels like a good opportunity to push it a bit harder...
On one hand, just looking at the numbers, it feels stupid to keep 7 as a starting set, on the other hand, I'm doing cleaner reps during training than test (as if I was compensating for the short sets) thus I'm not sure whether this is necessary or not.

(Side note : I know you may recommend weighted chins. I plan to do it in the future, but for now just trying to up my numbers :)).

So, whatever your opinion, I'll be happy to read it :)

Thank you.

I wouldn't skip. Just keep running it and eventually you'll hit a wall.

@Tom87

A couple of things...

What are your training goals?

You mention a sport. What sport? Do chin-ups support this sport?

And just for clarification... do you mean chin-ups or pull-ups?

And welcome to SF

@offwidth

I'm 31, 182cm, 76kg.
I play badminton (since I'm 13), at a decent level.
I suppose all strength gains generally support my sport, (and first injury prevention). I have a very general approach to strength training, trying to get stronger and more athletic overall, not trying to bulk too much, nor to optimize for badminton at all costs.

I do chins. Pull ups are harder on my right shoulder (already weakened by years of playing).

Thank you :)

@Bro Mo, indeed I guess it may be better to take it slow...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom