all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Military Press Program

I appear to be in the minority here, but I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than Soju and Tuba. Since your 1 rep max is the 28, use a 24.
The Giant 3 days a week and Simple and Sinister 3 days a week would be running 2 programs at the same time.
Switching to Rite of Passage with Simple and Sinister on the variety days is fine and dandy, but it is switching programs.

What ever you do, watch your recovery.

I did a couple blocks last year running Fabio Zonin’s Victorious program with S&S on the off days. You can run a version with one bell size for 8 weeks. The only caveat I’d make is that Victorious was my focus and S&S was my side program as I moved from 32 to 40kg. So on the peak weeks for Victorious I would scale back on S&S.

It’s probably one of my favorite combos and had solid results. My Press moved from a 32kg 2-3RM to a 40kg 1RM after a couple rounds of victorious with pretty decent progress on S&S as well.

I did a couple blocks last year running Fabio Zonin’s Victorious program with S&S on the off days. You can run a version with one bell size for 8 weeks. The only caveat I’d make is that Victorious was my focus and S&S was my side program as I moved from 32 to 40kg. So on the peak weeks for Victorious I would scale back on S&S.

It’s probably one of my favorite combos and had solid results. My Press moved from a 32kg 2-3RM to a 40kg 1RM after a couple rounds of victorious with pretty decent progress on S&S as well.
What’s the Victorious program?

I appear to be in the minority here, but I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than Soju and Tuba. Since your 1 rep max is the 28, use a 24.
The Giant 3 days a week and Simple and Sinister 3 days a week would be running 2 programs at the same time.
Switching to Rite of Passage with Simple and Sinister on the variety days is fine and dandy, but it is switching programs.

What ever you do, watch your recovery.
Hi, did you try Soju&Tuba alongside with S&S? If yes, what was your S&S frequency?

There are so many great programs in SF world! I want to do all pressing programs at the same time! I am happy that I learned beauty of sticking a program so my program hopping is now only about “learning, and reading” new programs and concepts. I keep on reminding myself, the best program is the program that I am running now, consistently….

Am curious about this, how would the two different goals change the answer ?

For me, I'd always want to be able to press a heavier bell before I try to TGU with it. I know that many people can and do regularly TGU more than they can press. I'd never want to try - is that approach too conservative ?
I have similar questions/concerts about my self as well, so I can relate to you. Not to answer your fundamental question but to answer how I view the two goals can lead in to different suggestions. Even the entire program suggested might be different. Let’s say if I say, in three months time, I want to be able to press my max then somebody might suggest drop your current program entirely, or on the other hand If I ask I want to maximize TGU, some might suggest continue to TGU s if you can barely recover from TguS, but if you have ample room, some might suggest supplementary exercises.

I hope this makes sense, I keep on asking a lot of questions in this forum but most of the time not mention my main goal with a bit of background and current abilities. These changes suggestions indeed entirely.

Even for a KB beginner, if the person has already a monstrous DL, age 27, an elite athlete versus me 49, novice in everything, answers or suggestions change drastically.

Hi, did you try Soju&Tuba alongside with S&S? If yes, what was your S&S frequency?
Yeah, I actually logged it on this site too. The short answer is that I ran two programs at once and got crappy results. I know I heard other people say that they ran Simple and Sinister and Soju & Tuba at the same time to prepare for Rite of Passage. I don't know what they mean when they say that.
In retrospect three days a week of each seems reasonable. That is two programs at once, but Soju and Tuba has a low volume, so I think it would turn out ok.

Reactions: Ege
another vote for IRON CARDIO By @Brett Jones .

Also I liked this presentation by Louka for a way to structure progressing a lift using Triple Progression.

I also like that video. Thanks for sending. Would you use triple progression to progress your 5 RM on single arm MP?

Last edited:
Yeah, I actually logged it on this site too. The short answer is that I ran two programs at once and got crappy results. I know I heard other people say that they ran Simple and Sinister and Soju & Tuba at the same time to prepare for Rite of Passage. I don't know what they mean when they say that.
In retrospect three days a week of each seems reasonable. That is two programs at once, but Soju and Tuba has a low volume, so I think it would turn out ok.
Would you try to run S&T on the same day as S&S? Or alternate 3x of each per week?

I really like the triple progression method that @Adachi showed above.

Two other options I really like, also summarized really well by Louka:

Jurassic ROP Ladder:

A 2-4-6 Ladder for Size N Strength:

I really like the Jurassic ROP video here. I’d crush myself doing this with S&S haha. How many days per week for this with pull ups and swings?…as suggested by Louka…

Would you try to run S&T on the same day as S&S? Or alternate 3x of each per week?
Good question.
I ran S&T and S&S on the same day before. If I were to run both programs at the same time again, I would try alternating them to see if it works better. Another option would be to sort of blend them together by subbing out the get ups for the presses on some days. But at some point, you wind up with a different program.

another vote for IRON CARDIO By @Brett Jones .

Also I liked this presentation by Louka for a way to structure progressing a lift using Triple Progression.

It only dawned on me today that Strong! ia the triple progression principle mixed in with a step cycle.
Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom