all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Military Press vs Clean and Press (EtK)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Epictetus554

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,

I was reading over my copy of Enter the Kettlebell and saw that the military press is recommended on light days. Pavel says that the military press has more potential for hypertrophy than the clean an press.

Can someone elaborate on this? The way I see it, the clean and press you are doing more 'work' but why does the military press do more for hypertrophy?

Thank you, Epictetus 554

I am not an expert at all, but from my understanding, hypertrophy is caused by the muscle being worked more / time under tension. The clean and press gives the muscles some rest, since the clean seems to relax the shoulder muscles and triceps. The military press has the shoulder under tension for longer.

So, although you are doing more 'work' with the clean and press, there is more is overall body work instead of hypertrophy work..... I think, with heavy bells, you get some hypertrophy with the clean and press, but different muscle groups.

I'm sure someone else on here with more knowledge will explain it far better :)

I am not an expert at all, but from my understanding, hypertrophy is caused by the muscle being worked more / time under tension. The clean and press gives the muscles some rest, since the clean seems to relax the shoulder muscles and triceps. The military press has the shoulder under tension for longer.

So, although you are doing more 'work' with the clean and press, there is more is overall body work instead of hypertrophy work..... I think, with heavy bells, you get some hypertrophy with the clean and press, but different muscle groups.

I'm sure someone else on here with more knowledge will explain it far better :)

I suspect that's what Pavel was alluding to.

FWIW, I don't do C&P in kettlebeller style.

As a weightlifter, I do a dead stop clean (because that's how weightlifters clean barbells...no swing) to the rack, then press for reps.

From ROTK "Where you were recleaning between presses on most days in Enter the Kettlebell!—because you were learning to get tight—now you will be doing your presses back to back. This does not allow one to press as heavy but works the muscles more thoroughly."

With clean and press you generate the force during the clean which you partially use for the press that follows (not momentum) its in the book actually. I think its referred to as springy tension dont recall. Read it more closely :p

With military press you get more tut for your torso. So obviously more hypertrophy in your torso.

Just my thought

Hello,

I was reading over my copy of Enter the Kettlebell and saw that the military press is recommended on light days. Pavel says that the military press has more potential for hypertrophy than the clean an press.

Can someone elaborate on this? The way I see it, the clean and press you are doing more 'work' but why does the military press do more for hypertrophy?

Thank you, Epictetus 554
I'm not an expert either, but I like explanation from @Inky . I can tell you, that doing 5 straight strict presses is harder than 5 clean & presses. And when I say strict, I mean you're starting every rep with a paused rack (not bouncing it off the rack) with your grip underneath your chin, and there's no jumping or jerks to aid in creating bell momentum. The material that Pavel covers in PTTP on tension & irradiation definitely applies to the press.

I think the usage of the straight press on light days is a valuable nugget that many gloss over. Because it's harder than C&P, that's why it's on the lowest volume day. The program is still focused on the C&P, which is really a complex that is more of a compound movement.

From ROTK "Where you were recleaning between presses on most days in Enter the Kettlebell!—because you were learning to get tight—now you will be doing your presses back to back. This does not allow one to press as heavy but works the muscles more thoroughly."
So if I am already good at getting tight, maybe straight presses are the answer.

Thank you everyone for the responses!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom