all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Military press with step loading?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
I know ROP is the recommended pressing program, but I know I will have weeks where I can only get a couple of training sessions done in one week. I have really enjoyed S&S with it’s flexibility, so I wonder if there is a way to do similar program with the press... ? I just finished soju & tuba with 24kg, and I think my current max is 5 reps with it. (Haven’t tested yet.. )

So at the moment 5 x 3 per arm is a nice medium session that doesn’t make me sore and I can go play golf after it etc. and recover fine.
What if I did 5 x 3 session 2-3 times a week for awhile, then add fourth rep to second set (3, 4, 3, 3, 3), stay with that for awhile, add fourth rep to third set etc. until I’m doing 5 x 5. Then maybe start soju & tuba followed by the same progression with a 28kg…

What do you think? Or is there some other program with step loading I could follow?

Give the Total Tension complex a run, train 3x a week, plenty of pressing, leaves plenty in the tank for the rest of the week?

2nd for Total Tension. It boosted my numbers a lot. Thinking about even doing it again because I want to go from 2x28s to 2x32s and I'm sure it will get me there.

Hello,

RoP ladders with HSPUs. For the leg portion, I'd do pistols and some HS plank / hollow rock for core.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I know ROP is the recommended pressing program, but I know I will have weeks where I can only get a couple of training sessions done in one week. I have really enjoyed S&S with it’s flexibility, so I wonder if there is a way to do similar program with the press... ? I just finished soju & tuba with 24kg, and I think my current max is 5 reps with it. (Haven’t tested yet.. )

So at the moment 5 x 3 per arm is a nice medium session that doesn’t make me sore and I can go play golf after it etc. and recover fine.
What if I did 5 x 3 session 2-3 times a week for awhile, then add fourth rep to second set (3, 4, 3, 3, 3), stay with that for awhile, add fourth rep to third set etc. until I’m doing 5 x 5. Then maybe start soju & tuba followed by the same progression with a 28kg…

What do you think? Or is there some other program with step loading I could follow?
My first thoughts are the Fighter Pullup Revisited but I can see why the S&S step progression might offer a more gradual benefit.

Asking about using step loading with presses because need for flexibility and time concerns. Get thrown a handful of other training programs and no awnsers to the question. Gotta Love The internet?

I see no reason for it not to work. I have never tried it. Give it a shot and become n=1.

is there some other program with step loading I could follow?
I had very good luck with greasing the groove.
It's not completely dissimilar from soju and tuba, and it resembles some ideas in justa's singles.

5 or less reps as many sets as you can every hour on the hour.

When I started , I was only able to do a few singles per day with the 32kg bell I had just received . Then doubles. Then triples. And per pavel I stopped at fives to only train strength, not something else . After a few months I was up to 50 reps a day or so - 25 per arm. And it prepped me to be able to press the 40kg. I can currently press the 40kg for 6 reps as a strength test. But some days only 4 . But since gtg is not currently accessible because I'm not working at home, I'm doing 1 set of 5s with the 40k and sets of 5 with the 32kg till they slow down, if I have time.

It’s been a while since this post. I finished S&T but was unsure what to do next so I chose the safe way and went back to S&S as my main program. However, there was a very interesting video posted just a few hours ago on Hardstyle Kettlebell youtube channel. It seems to be quite close to something I was looking for. What do you think?

That's an excellent idea! He's describing the "RKC Ladder" system from "Beyond Bodybuilding" ...... Do these ladders with a clean and press and some swings or snatches. Very minimalist, very effective.

It’s been a while since this post. I finished S&T but was unsure what to do next so I chose the safe way and went back to S&S as my main program. However, there was a very interesting video posted just a few hours ago on Hardstyle Kettlebell youtube channel. It seems to be quite close to something I was looking for. What do you think?

Sounds like a great plan. Louka always has some good stuff. I might actually give it a try.

Is there a similar progression recommended somewhere for the 2,3,5 (or other) ladder which is better for hypertrophy?

I went through a period where I maxed out my press every day for a heavy single.

Other than some pre/rehab work that was all I did.

Ended with a 110kg push press at 80kg.

Is there a similar progression recommended somewhere for the 2,3,5 (or other) ladder which is better for hypertrophy?
Dan John really likes those in 5x5 programs. He basically just replaces 5x5 with 23523523.

But if you really want hypertrophy, don't discount super basic stuff like 3x10.

There was a study that compared hypertrophy in two groups using approximately the same amount of volume. One group did 3 sets of 10 reps @10rm, the second group did 7 sets of 3 @3RM. Both groups had similar hypertrophy.... But the 3x10 group's workouts were 30-90 minutes shorter than the other group, they recovered better, all commented that they felt they could do more. Whereas the 7x3 group had multiple injuries, participants complaining of joint pain, absurdly long workouts, and had several people drop out due to those injuries. Those group members said they would not continue working out in this fashion.

Basically if you want to do hypertrophy, just do a hypertrophy program for a bit. If you have been doing heavy work for a long time it will give your joints a nice break. Powerlifters have been cycling hypertrophy blocks with strength blocks forever and it works very reliably.

I am adding this to my notebook as another option after I reach at lest timeless simple.
It looks like a really long Soju & Tuba cycle with a much lighter weight. That should probably cut down on injuries. 6-10 is not 5-8, or 2-4kg under your 1 rep max. So, I like the way it sounds already.

In Return of the Kettlebell, Pavel recommended that individuals who achieved 5×(1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and were unable to purchase a heavier bell could make further use of a lighter one by doing (2, 3, 5) ladders, and working up to as many as 10 of these ladders for a total of 100 reps. From there he suggested that you could switch to (2, 3, 5, 10) ladders and chase the same 100 reps [5×(2, 3, 5, 10)].

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom