all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Military Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rico Killjoy

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello,

I've recently started training with kettlebells and after reading "Enter the Kettlebell", "Return of the Kettlebell" and "Naked Warrior" I have a better understanding of training for conditioning and strength.

I'm a SGT in the U.S. Army as a light infantryman and I was trying to find a solid workout plan for conditioning and strength that won't break off myself or my Soldiers but actually make us perform better during rucks, field training, and mission while deployed. With that being said it can't be such an intense program that they can only do one or the other.

In Return of the Kettlebell Pavel made it sound like if I did that program my body might be too weak or still in a state of recovery doing other activities such as the ones I stated above.

Thank you to anyone who has any advice to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to add this in my message but I'm looking for a routine based around calisthenics and kettlebells.

Thank you very much for your service!

I'd think Simple & Sinister would deliver most of what you need!

Thank you very much for your service!

I'd think Simple & Sinister would deliver most of what you need!

Thank you for your help. That's a Pavel book I haven't read just yet. I'll be sure to pick it up and give it a solid study.

I'm currently starting my 4th week of ROTK, so it is still somewhat new to me. Although it is a wonderful program, and I am getting a lot out of it (I love double kettlebell programs!), it leaves me a little bit drained the rest of the day (on the heavy days). I have a desk job that is not physically demanding. I could see ROTK practice interfering with someone who had a physically demanding career (specifically during the heavy grind and BALLISTIC workouts).

I think S&S would be a more appropriate program (especially if you are new to kettlebells). Another option is the numerous programs offered in the blog/articles on this website.

Hello,

@Rico Killjoy
If you have access to kettlebells, S&S would be a first option.

A 2nd one, based on an 10 minutes EMOM protocol with snatch or clean & jerk (let say 5L / 5R, rest for the rest of the minute, that frame during 10 minutes (or more if you wish))

Kind regards,

Pet'

-Thank you guys for the feed back. It seems like S&S is the way to go.
-I try to work out for an hour five days a week in my free time as well as we have morning PT any where from 60-90 minutes. Then of course the body gets worked through field times.
-I was wondering what you guys thought about doing the S&S program five days out of the week and then doing either push up, sit up, and pull up drills (picking one a day)?
-Push Ups: the drill would be simple simply doing the push Up portion of the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) which is 78 push ups in 2min. If for some reason I can't max I'd do a ladder until 78 total reps were met.
-Sit Ups: the Drill would be the same but the total reps needing to be achieved is 82.
-Pull Ups: Since there's no APFT portion for pull ups I'd do a ladder until 50 total reps is achieved.
-For the 2 days out of the week I'm not doing that (or if the hour isn't complete) I could do small ladders of C&P, front Raise jerks, side Raise jerks, or basically whatever I'm wanting to stay practiced in.
-Ket me know what you guys think, and thank you again for the help.

Hello,

I was wondering what you guys thought about doing the S&S program five days out of the week and then doing either push up, sit up, and pull up drills (picking one a day)?
Some people here use S&S and Fighter Pull up Program. It seems it delivers pretty well, even if this is a relatively high training volume.

I try to work out for an hour five days a week in my free time as well as we have morning PT any where from 60-90 minutes
Does that mean 5 days a week you have S&S + 60/90 minutes PT ?

As long as recovery is fine, why not. But in that case, do not hesitate from time to time (let say once a week) to do a variety / day or a light to recover a little. Indeed, depending on the duration of your preparation, above all if this one is long, be careful of burning out.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Could someone post links to anything military-fitness related on the blog here, please?

@aciampa, anything you'd like to add to this conversation?

-S-

I was trying to find a solid workout plan for conditioning and strength that won't break off myself or my Soldiers but actually make us perform better during rucks, field training, and mission while deployed

Rico, the key to not breaking the boys off is to train intelligently, and at an intensity that is quite a bit below your maximum effort. Tests are maximum efforts; training sessions should not be. "Practice", and don't, "workout". That was a hard lesson that I had to learn. Trust easy training.

As to intelligent planning, S&S is a good start point for a squad new to KBs. Work up to manhandling the 32, then progress into practicing snatches and C&Js. Do some limited heavy carries.

Run often, but run at a moderate intensity... easier said than done in a group. Don't make the squad keep up with the fastest rabbit for 10 miles. Ruck 1-2x/per week well within your limits.

I would only do sit-ups as prep for the test. Do as many push ups as you like. If you don't need to test pull ups, then you don't "need" to do them... you can. The drills in "Naked Warrior" will teach you a lot about bracing and tension. Practice proper breathing... always. Breathing, bracing and tension is what strength is.

You'll have more options when you get better acquainted with KB training. You certainly do not need to do 2-a-days to get yourself trained up, but you will need some patience as the process unfolds.

-In the program that I stated above; yes I would be doing two-a-days. I just got to a new duty station and I'm not sure what my position will be. I know at minimum I'll be a Team Leader (TL) at max a Squad Leader (SL).
-Typically in the Army the SL is the one running the 60-90min of morning PT. Sadly the majority of SLs don't know how to run a strength gaining PT session. It's typically viewed "if it felt like a smoke session it was good PT". I personally disagree with this. Yes you need smoking PT from time to time to maintain or increase your endurance but smoking PT doesn't make you stronger at the terms of actual strength.
-Another weird thing about the Army is even though the SL is in charge of running morning PT it's typically the TL that'll get blamed for poor performance in the field or on an APFT. That's the reason why I'm looking for a calisthenics / kettlebell program that can help increase strength and endurance. If it was a typical weight lifting routine I could easily make that as I've been doing it for years, but I really like the idea of kettlebells because it'd be a lot easier to bring to the field or on deployment.
-For the record I'm 28 years old and I'm done with that young buck training "PUSH THROUGH THE PAIN". I listen to my body and react accordingly. As well as when I train with my Soldiers I ask them the same thing.
-Thank all of you for so much feed back. All of the advice has been really good.

@mprevost
Thanks for that article it seems to really hit everything. The only reason why I never mentioned rucking and running is because that is for sure the Army is good at training.
-I think I'm going to take a bit of that and slide in a bit of S&S with a little bit of push Up/sit up improvement (mainly on the conditioning days).
-When I mix a few extra things into training I like to take at least a 5min break to see how my body reacted to the previous training. Maybe I just need to catch my breath and at other times I'm just tired. Either way I listen to my body. Paul "Coach" Wade said it best when he said "you should always leave some in the tank for the rest of the day. When your work out is complete you should feel STRONGER not ran into the ground". I've taken that advice and ran with it. The more we listen to our bodies the faster that conversation becomes.
-Thank you to everyone for the advice and tips. Thanks for everyone who recommended S&S as well. That seems like a solid template that I can always keep with me and either train that exclusively or add a little bit of that into which ever routine I'm doing.

Hello,

@Rico Killjoy
When you will have designed your routine, let us know how it goes. I am pretty sure it will be interesting :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I took the first week of "The Total Package" routine and mixed in a little S&S. Training should take no longer than 60min. After the training is complete rest for at least 5min to assess how you feel. If you're still good to go either do whatever you wish to practice (using 20-50% of your max) or do more Swings and Get Ups.

Monday
-USSS 10-minute snatch test
200 snatches (goal is with a 53lb KB)
-Rest as needed
-S&S test (goal is completing with a 35lb KB)
One Arm Swings (10 reps both arms every minute for 5min)
1min rest
Get Up (1 Get Up per minute switching hands every other minute for 10min)
Remember that this is a conditioning day and that you need to go all out. You should start with a lighter KB and work your way up to the goal weight.

Tuesday
-C&P:
-Weighted Tactical Pull Up:
-Weighted Pistol Squat:
3 x 1, 2, 3
(Do all exercises in a slow ladder circuit)
-Swing:
-Get Up:
1x10 & 1x1 per arm

Wednesday
-One-Arm Swing 5×10 per arm
-One-Arm Snatch 5×10 per arm
(Finish all swings before starting jerks resting 1min between sets and 2min between exercises)
-Swing:
-Get Up:
1x10 & 1x1 per arm

Thursday
-Double KB Military Press
-Weighted Parallel Grip Pull Up
-Double KB Front Squat
3×5
(Do all exercises in a slow circuit)
-Rest as needed
-Swing:
-Get Up:
1x10 & 1x1 per arm

Friday
-Swing:
-Get Up:
5x10 & 5x1 per arm

Tuesday and Thursday are the Strength days. Go as heavy as you safely can. Don't be scared of "slow strength".
The final Swings and Get Ups you can slowly progress to getting the max of
Swings 10x10
Get Up 10x1 per arm
Listen to your body before starting extra work after the training session. Take a light walk around the gym or your house flex your muscles a little bit to see if anything is tight or starting to get a build of lactic acid. When you flex see if you feel like you're triumphant over the training session or if you're smoked. Ask your self these questions after your breathing and heart rate has slowed a little. If everything seems great than do a little bit more training with 20-50% weight to help avoid overvworking and really focus on all your moves with whatever you choose to do. Think of this as practice to make your training more effective in the long run.
I put my tests days on Monday due to the fact that I will be the most fresh that day. Since I have morning PT Monday-Friday.
Finally you'll notice that there's no running or rucking. That's due to the fact that I will be running and rucking during morning PT. If these are things that interest you I would suggest separating them greatly. Such as go for a run or ruck early in the day before you go to work. Then do the training session after work.
Listen to your body before a training session too. If you feel as if your body is tight or your muscles are sore push the training back a day (don't skip ahead) and use that day to stretch. That doesn't mean push back training because you're not motivated. If you're not motivated FIND your motivation and continue mission!

@pet'
Crawling would be in the morning PT as well. I personally don't view crawling as an exercise more as a warm up even if I do multiple sets of them. It's like Halos and Prying Goblet Squats.
I still do regular Goblet Squats for practice or if my hamstrings are too tight to do a proper pistol, but I always warm up with Prying Goblet Squats in my dynamic stretching routine.
That was a great question though mobility is what sets us apart from the stiff overly tight amateur bodybuilders and is a HUGE part of functional strength. I also like to do "walk out push ups" (bend over at the waist like you're trying to stretch your hamstrings and then slowly walk out with your arms until you're in a high plank, do a single push Up, and then slowly walk your feet towards your hands to repeat) for mobility.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom