all posts post new thread

Nutrition Milk: The Poor Man's Protein Shake?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean M

Level 7 Valued Member
This article had me intrigued:
Why Milk Is The Ultimate Post Workout Food | StrongLifts

I don't normally drink milk, and don't drink whey protein shakes or anything like that.

Is a glass or two of whole milk after training beneficial to strength/muscle gain not at the expense of fat loss? Anyone have experience with milk instead of protein powder (or run an experiment with both)?

My nutrition right now is focused on losing body fat, but I am also making steady gains in strength (S&S). I don't mind the scale not budging much, if I'm still losing body fat (inches off my waist) while gaining strength. I believe I'm still in the "newbie gains" phase where I'm waking up long-dormant muscles - though I have noticed more mass in my legs and shoulders/arms.

Is either (or both) whole milk or protein powder detrimental to fat loss? Does going with skim or 1% milk mitigate the "fattening" aspects of milk consumption? Or is it the sugar (lactose) that makes milk troublesome from a fat loss perspective - which whey protein mitigates being low/no-sugar?

Assuming it is beneficial (or not detrimental), I am attracted to milk as an affordable option for protein supplementation.

I've seen mixed things about milk as a protein supplement. I think it's better than nothing, and I would go for full fat milk. Weight loss is about calories, so if you're subbing the milk for something else it shouldn't impact your weight loss, but if you add it into a typical diet it might. Does that make sense?

Milk, glorious milk. I drink loads, mostly in tea. A cold pint of milk with ice is heavenly. Pimp it up with some chocolate for a recovery thing, if needed or have a banana. Or for added calorie, fruit salad with double cream and topped with nuts. For fat loss, water and less food, probably is a view most would agree with but I'd still have milk. It is very filling, nutritious and healthy.....so you eat less, another way of looking at it.

I used to drink about 1.5 l of milk after gymnastics training when I got back home. Never experienced weight gain. The liver did not like it that much though (could have been the chocolate consumption as well :) )

Milk is good for you. Protein powder too. I wouldn't avoid either if looking for fat loss. Some research even supports that pure protein meals, especially after exercise, support both greater muscle growth and accelerated fat loss.

Hello,

I never noticed weight gain drinking more milk. I prefer cottage cheese, which is basically more fat + proteins. Some folks tend to get digestion and / or joint issues drinkning too much milk. I guess this is highly individual.

Is either (or both) whole milk or protein powder detrimental to fat loss?
I do not think so. Fat loss will come pretty fast with S&S training. Plus, avoiding mixing carbs + fat will make this process even faster.

Kind regaerds,

Pet'

As long as your system tolerates it, drink up. My older brother used to drink a gallon a day or more and strong as an ox. He's dialed it back to 1/2 gal a day as he's gotten older. I drink at least a quart of milk and usually a pint or so of soymilk (different conversation) during the day.

My workout recovery drink is chocolate milk (made with organic choc syrup of course!).

If you are not leaning Keto, there may be some benefit to skim milk for fat loss. However, the percentage volume of hormones/antibiotics/etc that make their way into milk increase as it is reduced in fat - the bad stuff is in the water soluble portion. Organic milk is pretty expensive but worth it if going skim.

When using it for a protein shake base, I beef it up with nuts and oats instead of more whey protein, or mix the whey with soy milk to moderate all that dairy.

I drink about 2L of Whole milk a day with Whey Protein and Olive Oil added. I used to drink much more. My wife said it would be cheaper to buy a cow at $6/4L. The added protein makes a more favourable protein to sugar ratio. The nutrition label states about 9G protein and 12G lactose to 250ml. Dairy is a large portion of my diet. I will often drink milk preworkout for the insulin spike milk causes in most people. When I lost a lot of weight, over 40lbs, I did not drink milk at all. I do not think milk is conducive to fat loss.

Is either (or both) whole milk or protein powder detrimental to fat loss?

I've recently (last 4 weeks) started having the following after training... around 250ml of full fat milk, add some water to increase the liquid quantity, 2 scoops of whey, 100g oats, a banana, frozen blueberries, tablespoon of chia, flax and psyllium husk and sometimes peanut butter... this has not impacted my fat loss, I'd set a goal of 0.3kg a week and losing at an average of 0.25kg a week.

I have the non oats version every day.

If fat loss is the goal then I would avoid milk due to the sugar. There are many whey protein powders that mix well with water. When wanting to put on mass, then there is probably no better supplement than whole milk.

Hello,

Oat "milk" can also be worthy. The taste is different of course, but there is no fat in here. Plus, you can add some protein powder in it. If you buy raw oat, it is pretty cheap and easy to do at home.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Milk is great! Very nutritious, very delicious and very cheap!

Wether or not you drik it after training will not affect your progress. It is the nutriton/macros/micros in a 24h or rather a-few-days window that is important. If you like it go for it!

Hello,

Cottage cheese with goal milk is pretty good too, but does not "hydrate" like drinking milk

Kind regards,

Pet'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) or the less aggressive LOMAD (liter) used the be the standard for bodybuilders for mass gain. I have not heard of milk used for fat loss benefit - as mentioned above, the high sugar content would likely deter that.

Hello,

Cottage cheese with goal milk is pretty good too, but does not "hydrate" like drinking milk

Kind regards,

Pet'
Cottage cheese and Goat Milk= A lot of Sodium; around 1000mg. It's so hard to manage everything it seems, pet! lol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom