all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Minimalist Kettlebell Hypertrophy Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Costas

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,
I wanted to see some suggestions from other's experience of which kettlebell minimalist program has the best hypertrophy results. I know S&S has some hypertrophy benefits from the swings (not the TGU), QnD could have some also, etc, but what is from your experience the best one?
Thanks

Hi,
I wanted to see some suggestions from other's experience of which kettlebell minimalist program has the best hypertrophy results. I know S&S has some hypertrophy benefits from the swings (not the TGU), QnD could have some also, etc, but what is from your experience the best one?
Thanks
I gained about 8kg bodyweight doing ROP with chin ups..... made huge gains to my shoulders, traps, back, arms, legs.

I'm currently running the Giant, an even more minimalist program. I've only done five weeks so far but I gained another 1.5kg already. It works up to much higher reps so more oriented to hypertrophy.

Hi,
Thanks
You can gain muscle with nearly every program if they have a suitable volume.
But I don't think minimalist programs is suitable for hypertrophy in a long term. It could be a part of your hypertrophy career though.

ROP for sure. Though maybe add in a squat on variety days. Pistols are great if you want to stick to kettlebell only programming but if you can do back squats they are king for lower body hypertrophy.
You can gain muscle with nearly every program if they have a suitable volume.
But I don't think minimalist programs is suitable for hypertrophy in a long term. It could be a part of your hypertrophy career though.
I disagree. I’d say there are plenty of people on minimalist programs who have had good hypertrophy results long term. Bear in mind that hypertrophy and bodybuilding are very different things.

I disagree. I’d say there are plenty of people on minimalist programs who have had good hypertrophy results long term.
Who, may I know?

Also, if you lack stimulate in a certain area and a certain minimalist program hits it then you grow (to a point). And to continue to grow you need to, let say, switch to another minimalist program...So basically you need to have a list of minimalist programs to keep hypertrophy going.

And also, what is our definition of a minimalist program?

Bear in mind that hypertrophy and bodybuilding are very different things.
Yes. But quoting Paul Carter
I can tell you for certain that powerlifting-style training is a very inferior method for building mass compared to bodybuilding or very specific hypertrophic-style training.
a lot of powerlifters lack development muscularly because they can often become "minimalists" with regards to movement selection.

While the squat, deadlift and bench press will create a solid foundation of mass they will also leave one incomplete from a muscle perspective, if they make up the bulk of one's training program.

It takes more than the big three to maximize muscle mass and overall development.

(I know that OP asked about kettlebell program, but I think this quote still makes sense).

There has been research done with comparing Bodybuilidng vs Powerlifting. When they both did the same VOLUME and exercises, but switched the sets/reps. The outcome was exactly the same.

So let's say bodybuilders did 5 sets of 10 reps with appropiate weight (50 reps) and short rest and Powerlifters did 10 sets of 5, and long rest, the amount of hypertrophy was exactly the same.

Only difference, bodybuilders took about 15 minutes to complete the workout, and powerlifters over 2 hours. A small side note, almost all of the powerlifters at the end of the line where overtrained.

On Topic:
The prometheus protocol.

Moving target has become one of my favourite go too workouts at the moment, put a couple reps on my RM with out much effort at all, just doing the 235 ladders

Building muscle is one of those things in my mind that's always talked about. I remember as a kid reading about bodybuilding routines of certain champs and incorporating their program for myself...happened every month when the newest magazines came out! Didn't take into account pharmaceuticals, lifestyle and genetics!! Not a fan of bodybuilding. No disrespect to classic bodybuilders like Arnold and Franco who developed strength through hard work on ...get this, the basics!!

Minimimlism has its place. I remember at my gym at work watching guys do concentration curls with dumbbells and hammering their arms for an hour.....but they couldn't do a pullup!!

Eating well, sleeping well, and training hard on the basics may not make you a bodybuilding champ, but it will make "look better naked" and Strong!

Rant over.

A lot of powerlifters do a lot more than powerlift...
Yes, but typically the"more" (if you're referring to other lifts besides the contested three) is in support of improved results at a powerlifting contest, not in support of improved results at a bodybuilding contest. There's hypertrophy in support of a goal and then there's hypertrophy for the sake of appearance.

-S-

Double Clean and Press alternated with Double Row
Double Front Squat alternated with Double Swings.
5 x 5, using 1 minute rest periods between each exercise or Escalated Density Training. 3 x a week. Eat a clean surplus and recover other 4 days. Can I run S + S or Q + D on off days? No, you grow and get strong on your days off.
When you can do 5 x 5 try to do 6 x 5 or 5 x 6. Aim for 10 sets x 5 or 5 sets of 10.
What's with the minimalist stuff? It is becoming a tiresome adjective. Give me variety.

There has been research done with comparing Bodybuilidng vs Powerlifting. When they both did the same VOLUME and exercises, but switched the sets/reps. The outcome was exactly the same.

So let's say bodybuilders did 5 sets of 10 reps with appropiate weight (50 reps) and short rest and Powerlifters did 10 sets of 5, and long rest, the amount of hypertrophy was exactly the same.

Only difference, bodybuilders took about 15 minutes to complete the workout, and powerlifters over 2 hours. A small side note, almost all of the powerlifters at the end of the line where overtrained.

On Topic:
The prometheus protocol.
I recall reading that study. It jibes with some of Schoenfeld research that demonstrated similar size increases using a number of load/rep/set approaches, which also jibes with DeLorme seminal work on the topic.

Bottom line is you need nutrition to support hypertrophy. If you're eating more and getting fat, you aren't asking enough of yourself. If you aren't getting bigger you aren't eating enough. And from a very superficial POV, "bodybuilding" and hypertrophy are the exact same thing, at least at a non-competitive level.

The next thing that helps is the shot of growth hormone, metabolite accumulation and glucose depletion from a longer finishing set - that is really all that is needed.

All of these current high volume/low load hypertrophy programs rely on data that shows similar signalling responses, but I have serious doubts about long term comparisons with heavier loading protocols. Plus, if you're going to spend the time, why would you want to want to have a lower limit strength outcome by design?

You can get a very comparable volume equivalent by using Clusters, Rest/Pause, even DropSets as long as the initial load is a very high % of your 1RM. Be advised, these all work by increasing the volume from fewer reps/set at heavier load, over a comparable amount of training minutes to a longer rep count/fewer set approach.

This can be done in a somewhat minimalist format, but not in terms of exercise selection unless you adopt a low frequency approach as well. If you attempt this with the same 3 exercises high frequency all the time you will NOT get a favorable long term response compared to other approaches.

Longer sets that accumulate more metabolic fatigue induce more hypertrophy by method, also require lesser loading and more recovery. Heavier sets that do not induce metabolic fatigue do not trigger similar hypertrophy. It is not difficult to combine the two with a variety of strategies. The rules haven't changed much going back to DeLorme and continuing with approaches like 5/3/1 - the last set is the maker or breaker.

Double Clean and Press alternated with Double Row
Double Front Squat
alternated with Double Swings.
5 x 5, using 1 minute rest periods between each exercise or Escalated Density Training. 3 x a week. Eat a clean surplus and recover other 4 days. Can I run S + S or Q + D on off days? No, you grow and get strong on your days off.
When you can do 5 x 5 try to do 6 x 5 or 5 x 6. Aim for 10 sets x 5 or 5 sets of 10.
What's with the minimalist stuff? It is becoming a tiresome adjective. Give me variety.
The bild part is more or less exactly like Pat Flynns program Get Strong, but he used different progressions.

Like you suggestion!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom