all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Minimalist Kettlebell Hypertrophy Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Prometheus gets my vote

Though I would do this version

Just skimmed the article (kids are running around!), but is there any certain progression model used or is it simply pick s pair of heavy bells and do it. When you can do 10c5 - bump up the weight?

Just skimmed the article (kids are running around!), but is there any certain progression model used or is it simply pick s pair of heavy bells and do it. When you can do 10c5 - bump up the weight?
How 'bout using larger bells?

If not applicable yet, then squeeze rest periods, do reps slowly, use larger bells just for a first few sets, etc.., plenty of possibilities.

This "program" is random BS anyway. Everyone can have his/her own "program". Why 10x5? Why not 9x6 or 11x4 or 38x21.....?

Just start somewhere and add weight/reps over time. No getting around it.

How 'bout using larger bells?

If not applicable yet, then squeeze rest periods, do reps slowly, use larger bells just for a first few sets, etc.., plenty of possibilities.

This "program" is random BS anyway. Everyone can have his/her own "program". Why 10x5? Why not 9x6 or 11x4 or 38x21.....?

Just start somewhere and add weight/reps over time. No getting around it.
By that definition (bolded part), which program is not a BS program according to you?

Those programs are about principles. One can adapt those principles and start to experiment with them.

But I would never call them BS programs. They deliver, but always can be adjusted for a person and the needs and abilities of this person.

Prometheus gets my vote

Though I would do this version

I can't see the site

Clean & presses paired w/front sqt

Build volume and keep rest periods moderate (60-90s)

Start with say 5x5 and add a set each week till 10x5 then increase weight and start over...

A lot of good input so far

I can't see the site
Yeah I don't know what's going on there.....

It's a earlier version of Pat Flynn's Prometheus protocol minus the single leg deadlift & pull-ups from the later one & therefore two days a week instead of four.

I think I remember Pat himself saying he burnt out don't the four day a week one with the deadlifts & pull ups it was too much.
Personally I think it is too much for alot of people.

If I was going to run the programme I would do the two day a week one.

Screenshot_20210304-013859.png

Minimalist or complex programming, I think the question is more a matter of ballistics vs grinds.

As a weightlifter, I spend more time doing ballistics (snatch & C&J during barbell season, KB ballistics in the off season) than the general gym population.

Whether barbell or kettlebell, ballistics are not optimal for most hypertrophy goals.

Will they give some hypertrophy? Sure, especially in de-trained or new lifters or in specific body parts (traps for BB snatches, hams for KB swings).

But weightlifters often do separate pre-season hypertrophy training blocks for a reason.

I can get hypertrophy results from minimalist programming as long as I'm doing less ballistics and more grinds.

Yeah I don't know what's going on there.....

It's a earlier version of Pat Flynn's Prometheus protocol minus the single leg deadlift & pull-ups from the later one & therefore two days a week instead of four.

I think I remember Pat himself saying he burnt out don't the four day a week one with the deadlifts & pull ups it was too much.
Personally I think it is too much for alot of people.

If I was going to run the programme I would do the two day a week one.

View attachment 14317
Thats correct. He mentioned it in one of his podcast episodes If I remember correctly.

All of these work or adding muscle provided you are

In a caloric surplus
Getting adequate protein
Getting adequate sleep

+1 x 10

And I would add:

Program in de-load weeks.

Even if I'm in a hypertrophy block, I often get most anabolic when I take a de-load week and the body has time to 'catch up' via super compensation.

Looking at my Fitbit Aria tracking over long periods of time, ~50% of my lean body mass gains coincide with "burst gains" during de-load weeks.

Thats correct. He mentioned it in one of his podcast episodes If I remember correctly.
I do like the idea of 10*5 then next workout 5*10 from the newer version.

If I was running it I may take that from the newer programme.

Would probably GTG/EES BW TRX or standing cable rows (which I can just do around the house) to keep my shoulders happy. People could obviously do pull ups instead.

Clean & presses paired w/front sqt

Build volume and keep rest periods moderate (60-90s)

Start with say 5x5 and add a set each week till 10x5 then increase weight and start over...

A lot of good input so far

I've done variations on that and it works reasonably well.

But if you're used to BB front squats, I found double KB front squats to be too easy at a weight that was good for pressing.

Problem solved by turning them into pause squats.

I've done variations on that and it works reasonably well.

But if you're used to BB front squats, I found double KB front squats to be too easy at a weight that was good for pressing.

Problem solved by turning them into pause squats.
Agreed, but I think it's more about the overall TUT similar to doing high rep back sqts

Talk of sets and reps really MUST include where in your % repmax the loads are and what your options are for working at various %s.

Your reps should be minimum 50% of your max and closer to 2/3 if its a fixed load. Heavier loads can be used for hypertrophy a lot of ways, lighter loads will need a lot more reps and/or exercise variations that make life harder.

If at all possible at least 1/3 of all sets and reps should with something in the 3-5repmax range. This is often not possible, so pile on the volume using Rest/Pause or Clusters.

Agreed, but I think it's more about the overall TUT similar to doing high rep back sqts

I followed Dry Fighting Weight as written with 2 x 32 and it was just fine for my presses, but not for my legs.

I morphed it into 1.5 rep double pause squats per Geoff Neupert's recommendation to make it harder by increasing TUT.

Caveat: my 3 RM BB front squat is 125 kg (2 reds per side), typical "cruising weight" is 105 kg. 65 kg is my warm up weight.

A heavy BB front squat day for me is 5 sets of 3 @125 kg, or back squat triples @155 kg.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom