all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Minimalist Kettlebell Hypertrophy Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
One Arm Presses & Swings will get you where ever you need to go hypertrophy-wise.

Pavel wrote in an article a few years ago:
Red zone.
5x5 One Arm Presses.
100 Swings S&S style.
Followed by 5x5 One Arm Presses.
3x a week.

At the moment I do Presses nearly every day. Either 1,2,3 for a few sets or 2,3,5,(10). Kneeling or standing. And I hike alot.
My upper body has grown alot just from the presses.

Hopefully that helps.
I certainly don’t think that is true. 1H Swings, especially, are a poor selection if you’re looking for hypertrophy only.

Unless you can share any examples of people who are really big who have done just those two exercises?

Red zone.
5x5 One Arm Presses.
100 Swings S&S style.
3x a week.
There are better options, all with double KBs, i.e. Total tension complex (cleans, presses, squats, renegade rows), or Return of the Kettlebell (snatches, presses, squats, high rep deadlifts)

Hello,

S&S can lead to a "fighter physique". RoP or RedZone may lead more towards a "classique physique".

Below the link of Pavel's article and the related thread (S&S).

Kind regards,

Pet'
The power of the press

Pavel Macek has the lean fighters physique as far as I'm concerned. And obviously strong too. Personally' I'd like to have a little more muscle size. So I've decided to embark on the Giant.

Pavel Macek has the lean fighters physique as far as I'm concerned. And obviously strong too. Personally' I'd like to have a little more muscle size. So I've decided to embark on the Giant.
Yes maybe he have. But who knows how he looks if using another program.

One Arm Presses & Swings will get you where ever you need to go hypertrophy-wise.

Red zone.
5x5 One Arm Presses.
100 Swings S&S style.
3x a week.

At the moment I do Presses nearly every day. Either 1,2,3 for a few sets or 2,3,5,(10). Kneeling or standing. And I hike alot.
My upper body has grown alot just from the presses.

Hopefully that helps.
On the surface this may seem too simplistic but what I think is easy to miss is the hormonal impact of interleaving swings with other exercises like presses or pushups. In other the words, it not just the swings, it's the impact they have on other exercises. Pavel explains in the swing sandwich article below.

I have had very satisfying results from doing workouts of 5 rounds of 5 reps EMOM of L Press, R Press, L Swing, R Swing.

These are minimalist (not dazzling) to me but I am sold on swings putting extra juice in other exercises during a workout. I believe one could not help but see strength, hypertrophy, conditioning and body comp results using progressing weights with these types of minimalist workouts over time.

Quote from article below:
This “swing sandwich” has also built a reputation for rapidly improving one’s body composition. It builds the muscles targeted by the exercises done between swings and burns fat at the same time. The hypertrophy seems to be the result of a hormone spike promoted by the swings.

Semi-hijacking the thread, but is there a consensus which single and double kettlebell program that is the most hypertrophy producing program no matter the volume? Success stories?

As to hypertrophy, I am befuddled at the lack of attention sleep length and quality gets in a program.

I'm a sleep compromised father of three, and every time I get shipped somewhere by the military for a period of training, I sleep 8+ hours a day, and the physique responded positively. the class schedules are such that I have trouble making it to the gym or the covid rules relegated me to an outdoor track without weights anyways.

When I get home , I'm up folding laundry, doing dishes, prepping food, and picking up toys, and showering and getting 6+ hours of sleep. And my physique responds negatively, despite kettlebells being involved, again.

The body is not busy building muscle while we're working out. It's busy building muscle while we're resting.

Sleep is an anabolic factor.
The powerful are skilled at relaxing.

Semi-hijacking the thread, but is there a consensus which single and double kettlebell program that is the most hypertrophy producing program no matter the volume? Success stories?
I made a lot of hypertrophy gains on ROP, but I was "primed" to gain as they say, as an endurance athlete at 8% bodyfat.... just skin and bone. These were beginner gains.

That said, Doubles will ALWAYS yield superior hypertrophy results. As will grinds over ballistics. Squats and presses in particular.

Total Tension Complex and the Giant are great examples of hypertrophy programs.

As to hypertrophy, I am befuddled at the lack of attention sleep length and quality gets in a program.

I'm a sleep compromised father of three, and every time I get shipped somewhere by the military for a period of training, I sleep 8+ hours a day, and the physique responded positively. the class schedules are such that I have trouble making it to the gym or the covid rules relegated me to an outdoor track without weights anyways.

When I get home , I'm up folding laundry, doing dishes, prepping food, and picking up toys, and showering and getting 6+ hours of sleep. And my physique responds negatively, despite kettlebells being involved, again.

The body is not busy building muscle while we're working out. It's busy building muscle while we're resting.

Sleep is an anabolic factor.
The powerful are skilled at relaxing.
I cant sleep more than about 6 hour. Maybe thats the reason Im not Big.

Hello,

I do not know if this could be considered as minimalist, but Eugen Sandow's routine may be interesting:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hot take: if you can only focus on minimalism, don't worry about what kind of hypertrophy gains you're going to make because you'll be disappointed. Take what ever you get with grace, and just focus on consistency.

"One of the issues that happens, especially online, and this happened big time in the kettlebell community, is people who had never really trained very much tried to go immediately to minimalism. This is going to sound weird, but you almost have to be on the brink of breaking before minimalism can work. I don’t think it works well for beginners. The loads are always too light. There’s not enough repetitions. Beginners seem to do better with sheer volume of repetitions." - Dan John

If you're not competing in a sport or a tier-1 operator, you probably need a lot more than minimalism to realize your goals.

I've been going through this myself and have made more gains under a barbell than I ever did with kettlebells, because I didn't have the base for it. I don't need minimalism, I needed to suck it up and put in the hard work.

Hot take: if you can only focus on minimalism, don't worry about what kind of hypertrophy gains you're going to make because you'll be disappointed. Take what ever you get with grace, and just focus on consistency.

"One of the issues that happens, especially online, and this happened big time in the kettlebell community, is people who had never really trained very much tried to go immediately to minimalism. This is going to sound weird, but you almost have to be on the brink of breaking before minimalism can work. I don’t think it works well for beginners. The loads are always too light. There’s not enough repetitions. Beginners seem to do better with sheer volume of repetitions." - Dan John

If you're not competing in a sport or a tier-1 operator, you probably need a lot more than minimalism to realize your goals.

I've been going through this myself and have made more gains under a barbell than I ever did with kettlebells, because I didn't have the base for it. I don't need minimalism, I needed to suck it up and put in the hard work.
I assume it is possible though to put in the work/volume as a beginner with kettlebells though, right? What would be the programming example that would allow you to do that?

I took the idea of minimalism in the title to mean something with only a handful of exercises to master and a straightforward workload progression not a total minimalism of workload and exercises.

As to hypertrophy, does one need anything other than cleans, presses, and front squats to get more muscular?
They seem to be the basis for Total Tension, Dry Fighting Weight, Strong, Dan John's ABC.

I took the idea of minimalism in the title to mean something with only a handful of exercises to master and a straightforward workload progression not a total minimalism of workload and exercises.

As to hypertrophy, does one need anything other than cleans, presses, and front squats to get more muscular?
They seem to be the basis for Total Tension, Dry Fighting Weight, Strong, Dan John's ABC.
I read it the same Way.

I did Prometheus Protocol couple of days ago. Liked its simplicity and multiple sets (10) of relatively low weight (60-80% of 1RM).

Actually liked it so much that I bought a pair of intermediate Bells ?
This version?

I have only single bells right now.
But it looks like it something to try.

This version?

I have only single bells right now.
But it looks like it something to try.
Yes, that version! Pat came out with another version including Pull-ups and SLDL - he later said it was to much and that the first version, you posted, was the best.

I did Prometheus Protocol couple of days ago. Liked its simplicity and multiple sets (10) of relatively low weight (60-80% of 1RM).

Actually liked it so much that I bought a pair of intermediate Bells ?
The Prometheus Protocol is so basic and foolproof. No trying to remember which complicated set or rep you're supposed to do that day. Just do your ten and ten and done.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom