all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Minimalist lifting shoes

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gungnir0331

Level 4 Valued Member
Over the years I’ve lifted in anything from running shoes to no shoes to now what I use daily is any zero drop minimalist shoes I can find. Merrell Vapor Gloves have been my go to for the last few years. Still not the most ideal shoes to lift in, but I just can’t find anything better. Chucks are too narrow for my feet. Would like something that is similar in that it is basically a flat soled lightweight shoe for my barbell lifts and kettlebell movements with plenty of toe box room. I’m not interested in oly shoes, I don’t lift competitively and I focus more on foot strength for martial arts and to keep my plantar fasciitis under control. Since I switched to minimalist shoes, haven’t had any issues. Any recommendations?

I use Lems Primal 2 for everything including running. Extremely lightweight, thin sole, super flexible, zero heel drop, no arch support, and the biggest toe box of any shoe I could find. On top of that they’re very durable. I’ve had these for a year now and they show absolutely no signs of wear and that’s with about 500 miles of running. By far the most comfortable shoe I’ve ever owned in my life. Like you I have plantar fasciitis issues and it’s minimalist shoes or barefoot only for me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what exactly they're called in English, but how about shoes/slippers used in wrestling or ballet or by children in daycare? They are minimalist yet provide good traction.

Merrell Vapor Gloves have been my favorite in the past couple of years. Have been tempted to try Vivobarefoot, but they're expensive and a little funny looking.

I have a pair of Merrell Bare Access pretty sure they're the Flex model. Roomy in the toe and very good feel. I've used them to train in the back yard though most of the time I use my Vibram 5 fingers.

I use Lems Primal 2 for everything including running. Extremely lightweight, thin sole, super flexible, zero heel drop, no arch support, and the biggest toe box of any shoe I could find. On top of that they’re very durable. I’ve had these for a year now and they show absolutely no signs of wear and that’s with about 500 miles of running. By far the most comfortable shoe I’ve ever owned in my life. Like you I have plantar fasciitis issues and it’s minimalist shoes or barefoot only for me.
I just got a pair of the Lems for dress shoes. Might have to try those out

I like these from Max Barbell

SABO Deadlift Lifting shoes

Specialized shoes for deadlifting and a great all-around lifting shoe for your strength workouts.

Main features:

- New anatomical last was created especially for deadlifting.

- New non-marking outsole is made of high density material with a special design for traction. Soles are ultra thin: 2mm-5mm.

- Two lateral straps allowing for an individual fit and precise tuning of tightness for the foot, ankle and heel.

- High cut upper and materials optimal for training.

- Side support on the outsole allows you to spread the floor without your feet rolling over, unlike slippers.

Advantages:

- The soles are thin and flat to decrease pulling distance. A thin sole means the barbell is higher up from the floor relative to the athlete. This allows for more weight to be lifted since the pulling distance becomes shorter.

- Specialized footwear protects the feet from injuries related to heavy lifting. Protects athletes’ feet from platypodia (flattening of the arches).

- This shoe provides maximum stability for the ankle.

- The soles are made from materials that do not have any give which results in a good surface to push against. The pattern and side support on the outsole minimizes slipping.

@Carl in Dover I’ve got a pair of those same Sabo shoes. They’re a good shoe, well made, and do the job but my only complaint was the toe box wasn’t nearly wide enough for my feet and after a deadlift workout I couldn’t wait to get them off. I don’t have unusually wide feet either. I finally had to quit wearing them and now I mostly lift barefoot. If you don’t need the wide toe box then they’re great but you might order a size larger than you need. Mine fit really tight.

What about no shoes? Can't get more minimalistic.

When I lift at home I do go barefoot. But when I’m in my gym at work I have to have some kind of footwear on. I’m with you though. Foot strength is so important and all my martial arts are done barefoot unless I’m in wresting shoes

When it's cold outside I wear an old pair of those Sanuk sandal-shoe moccasin things. Wide toe box, cheap, and pretty minimalist. I would probably have to be a little mindful of lifting on really smooth surfaces, though, since they don't have much traction. Not a problem outside, but it might be an issue on a lifting platform when you try to spread your feet.

I have been wearing these for years - but it has to be the "v1" model. They feel very similar to Vibram 5-Fingers without being so weird. :)

Minimus 10v1 Trail

I run in these. My favorite all around shoe. Just a little too much cushion for heavy lifting/kettlebell movements. Looking for that zero drop with barely any sole at all

Weird. Mine couldn’t have much less of a sole/cushion. I think 5 fingers are what you are looking for

Not much cushion at all but still technically a 4mm drop and I can feel a little compression in the heel when I switch from my Merrell vapor gloves which are basically slippers

I got myself a pair of these recently. They're definitely a 'budget' option, but they seem to work really well for KB swings, cleans and presses outdoors as well as pistol squats. I've not used them for barbell work but they definitely do the job as a cheap, no-frills, multi-purpose training shoe.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom