all posts post new thread

Barbell Minimalist Powerlifting Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EnterSandman

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi new member here.
I am a beginner interested in minimalist training, i like to lift heavy do some back off sets and go home. My gym trainer follows the Westside Method so my program is full of assistance and bodybuilding stuff that probably i would need in the future but right now i am only interested in simple specific training.
I have also read about Malanichev and other eastern champions and i find it appealing.

This is my idea of program:

Monday:
Squat 5 heavy singles with same weight
10x3 with 80% of the singles
If i am not tired 3xAMRAP @70%

Wednesday:
Bench (same as squat)

Friday:
Deadlift (same as squat)

Last edited:
Hello,

First, welcome to the forum !

What is your goal ?
Do you know Pavel's book "Beyond Bodybuilding ? It is full of efficient lifting routines.

Be careful for adding sets / reps when you're "not tired". On the long term, you can have an additional fatigue and your rest will have to be longer. Besides, you could get injured due to bad posture (for instance)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks for the reply.
I can get rid of the AMRAP sets it was just to add some volume to the lift. But id rarely do it. After 8-10x3 reps @80% i am already tired. Was just an idea.
My aim is to compete in raw (no wraps) powerlifting meets. So pure strength.

Hello,

Do you know the "deadlift daily dose" ? Depending on your initial level (max DL between 1 - 2 times bodyweight), it may interest you. This protocole is available on the SF blog.

Friend of mine used it with success, despite a pretty physical lifestyle.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I remember an old topic with a program supposed to be good for relatively new weightlifter : Coan Phillipi Deadlift Program.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Enter Sandman- Jim Wendler wrote a program very similiar to yours for Matt Smith to use a few years ago. He got burned out on training and needed to reduce his volume before a meet. If I remember he hit a 1,000+ squat off that program. The only differences I see is he did a few less back off sets (5) and used 1 supplememntal lift for 3-5 sets of 5 reps. Glute-Ham or back extensions on lower body days and a form of rows on upper body days. Pull-ups ( 25-50 ) were used in the warm up on all days. Best of luck to you.

Do you know Pavel's book "Beyond Bodybuilding ? It is full of efficient lifting routines.

I haven't read this yet, but I'm looking for something similar to PTTP but with squats, deadlifts, and bench. Not trying to program switch - as I'm still full swing in S&S working towards the Simple goal. Just wanting to gather some resources to read up on over the next month or two. Is this similar to PTTP in terms of simplicity?

Enter Sandman, you should look into Marty Gallagher's Purposeful Primitive, and follow his advice exactly.

531 is a great program with low volume in it´s default mode. More volume, higher intensities or frequency can be tailored to suit your goal. I know many who uses it just because its time efficient and still delivers!

Google search for explanations of the program or buy Jim´s book(s). They are well worth.

Good luck!

How are you warming up for barbell practice?

How are you ramping up to your singles?

It looks like a decent amount of work for one lift per session.

This is a similar work load to what you are used to, and this volume and intensity can be applied to other lifts beside squats.
The Squat Nemesis Program: An Introduction - The Iron Samurai
Nemesis Guide - There Are No Secrets: Try Harder

Nemesis is great! I always use it when I do barbell military or bench presses once in a while. Sort of like an RPE used bu RTS.

I have run the Nemesis 21 Day Squat Challenge alternating front squats and back squats three times with awesome results. I also have used the protocols for Snatch and Clean&Jerk at times. He has also applied it to Deadlift but I have never tried it. I like Nick Horton, his programs are all hard work. He is very well respected in the Weightlifting sport.

"More is not always better, but it usually is"
-Nick Horton-

Quite the opposite of most of what you see here, but I need a lot of work to progress. Easy does not work for me.

I am a beginner interested in minimalist training, i like to lift heavy do some back off sets and go home

I recommend you read Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 for Powerlifting or Beyond 5/3/1, they're both pretty decent reads.

Based on what you said above, try this number. Jim calls it First Set Last (it's from Beyond 5/3/1). Take your first set and do 5-8 sets of 5-8 reps after you've knocked out your PR set.

Firstly, you write you are a beginner. be careful. the most important thing is to get the form right. AMRAPs on exercises you just learned are a bad idea. also many of the programs recommend here are intermediate to advance. you don't need any nemesis program.

AS a beginner you should stick with simple routines.
Marty Gallagher has an excellent one:
Day 1 Squat and Bench
Day 2 deadlift and press

Four weeks one top set of eight.
Next four weeks one top set of five.
Last four weeks one top set of three.
Top set should be heavy but with good form. use linear peridization. start low and increase over the course of 12 weeks in every session.
As a beginner you should be in and out the gym in 30 minutes doing this routine.
Later you can add back off sets, 3 * 10, 8 or 5, respectively.

There are many training protocols out there.
My advice especially if your a beginner would be to log your training sessions.
Training many times is a trial and error sort of thing meaning you give a training protocol a fair try going through it without modifications to see if you make progress on it.
If it works keep it in a list of programs that you had success with,if not discard it.
Over the years you will end up with several protocols that work for you personally.Just because some champion does something doest mean it will work for you.
So if interested in simple training the westside method is not simple but complex and you probably don't want that right now.
Pavels programs like in his book"Power to thePeople"are simple and straight forward like your looking for.
I also like for beginners Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program.
If followed without deviation you can make great gains with it.
I took a student from a 405 deadlift to a 501 meet DL with it in around six months.While this was the extreme, most of my students who stuck to it made good strength gains with just four different lifts in the program.
The same with PTP program.
Good luck.

Firstly, you write you are a beginner. be careful. the most important thing is to get the form right. AMRAPs on exercises you just learned are a bad idea. also many of the programs recommend here are intermediate to advance. you don't need any nemesis program.

AS a beginner you should stick with simple routines.
Marty Gallagher has an excellent one:
Day 1 Squat and Bench
Day 2 deadlift and press

Four weeks one top set of eight.
Next four weeks one top set of five.
Last four weeks one top set of three.

sounds awesome!

You may like Steve Justa's book "Rock,Iron,Steel" that is much like what seem to be after. He has some program that use singles to achieve max strength.
You probably won't get the kind of muscle like you would with bodybuilding style training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom