all posts post new thread

Barbell Minimalist Powerlifting Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi new member here.
I am a beginner interested in minimalist training, i like to lift heavy do some back off sets and go home. My gym trainer follows the Westside Method so my program is full of assistance and bodybuilding stuff that probably i would need in the future but right now i am only interested in simple specific training.

Look into Tactical Barbell's Fighter or Operator template. If you want twice a week = Fighter, 3 x week = Op. Minimalist and effective. I've used 5/3/1 in the past, and the "Not Doing Sh&t" template might be a good fit for you as well. Personally I prefer TB, it leverages frequency very well. Each lift is done 2-3 x week. Your mileage may vary, but I never made any progress with standard 5/3/1, it didn't have enough frequency or volume on the main lifts for me. A third option would be the 3 to 5 method in Beyond Bodybuilding which is really good, especially if you're a beginner.

To add to what @MikeTheBear said there is also a 5/3/1 for Powerlifting book out there that I highly recommend.

One of it's biggest tweaks to the original 5/3/1 program is it switches the 3x3 and 3x5 week in a 3/5/1 configuration in which you get the opportunity to do a few heavy singles on the 3x3 and 5/3/1 weeks. I'm a huge fan of that approach.

Your mileage may vary, but I never made any progress with standard 5/3/1, it didn't have enough frequency or volume on the main lifts for me.

I agree that this can be a potential problem with 5/3/1. However, Beyond 5/3/1 has several variations with increased frequency. Yes, that means buying another book, but you don't necessarily need to buy anything other than the original 5/3/1 book. Wendler has plenty of free program variations on his site. There is also a site called Black Iron Beast (just google that and it comes right up) that will generate programs based on several 5/3/1 variations. Wendler has also written a free booklet called 5/3/1 Frequency Project. Finally, Wendler has written 5/3/1 programs for T-Nation that go for several weeks and have more frequency in them. This is why I like 5/3/1 - it can be customized for various goals. I also like the fact that Jim constantly experiments and develops new ways to cook 5/3/1.

To address @tangozero I've seen a few full body templates in Beyond 5/3/1 that address this, my newly designed template has an A/B 2x/week program where I tackle all five main lifts in one week and do the Rite of Passage kettlebell-wise 3x/week.

Session A looks like this:

Bench 3/5/1 or 65%/75%/85% TM (3x3)
Power Clean 3/5/1 or 65%/75%/85% TM (3x3)
Front Squat 6x1 or 4x2 or 3x3
Snatch Grip Deadlift 65%/75%/85%TM (3x3) or 3/5/1

Session B:

Snatch or Clean and Jerk 5-6 singles @ 70% 1RM (I use a Steve Justa 'easy singles' on this lift)
Push Press 65%/75%/85% TM or 3/5/1
Weighted Chins 2x 6-8
Squat 3/5/1 or 65%/75%/85% TM (3x3)

So my 'week' is two weeks long, because one week Bench, Power Clean, Squat get the 3/5/1 treatment and week two the push press and snatch grip deadlift get that treatment. The 3x3 at moderate intensities on off weeks addresses the 'frequency' issue rather admirably.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom