all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Minimalist training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jamesjones

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all,

In these dark times with covid 19 what do you guys and girls recommend for minimalist training I have 2x 16 kg KB at home IV tried to find cheap 24kgs but in able to find any so far what can I do at home with two 16kg kettlebells to keep strong and fit l.

I hope everyone and Thier families are well at this time

I’m set i had just reached simple before all this so i am now going full on it to Q & D. Doing turkish get ups after. Tons of muay thai shadowboxing and bjj solo drills. The isolation is going to actually make me in better shape than when i could go to the gym and martial arts school.

Hi all,

In these dark times with covid 19 what do you guys and girls recommend for minimalist training I have 2x 16 kg KB at home IV tried to find cheap 24kgs but in able to find any so far what can I do at home with two 16kg kettlebells to keep strong and fit l.

S&S of course
Also, I've been doing Strength Aerobics w 2 35s every 45 seconds Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT | StrongFirst

Hi all,

I would also recommend what @AndyGog linked, and of course "timeless" S&S.

During the whole shutdown and no gym access, I've had to deal with the fact that I only personally own these size kettlebells: 24kg, 25lbs, and 15lbs. I've ended up upping my game with swings and goblet squats (doing all of them with 24kg) and I've ended lowering my game with TGU. For safety reasons and for the sake of my wooden floors, I am not ready to up my TGU to 24kg, but 25 pounds seems way too light. With such a puny bell, I'm trying to add more pauses /time under tension during the TGU and eliminating rest periods after each pair of TGU sets. I like what's going on with my goblet squats and swings, but I am left feeling that since I can't get a great TGU in, I need to explore other things. I'm not expecting anyone to come up with a modified workout for me. I can do my own explorations. I need to deal with the paradox of keeping up with my practice when I've lost control of many factors of my practice.

With such a puny bell, I'm trying to add more pauses /time under tension during the TGU and eliminating rest periods after each pair of TGU sets.
If you haven't tried it, I like doing multiple presses at each step of the TGU. Makes for longer holds plus the press work.

'With such a puny bell, I'm trying to add more pauses /time under tension during the TGU and eliminating rest periods after each pair of TGU sets'

Bottom-up TGUs are a great way to explore the movement too.

With such a puny bell, I'm trying to add more pauses /time under tension during the TGU and eliminating rest periods after each pair of TGU sets.

You can also stack KBs for any exercises where you don't have to repeatedly clean them or swing them, TGU are no exception. This will also have you increasing grip activation to keep the bells from rolling around your forearm.

Thanks to all for offering suggestions for tweaking the TGU when one has to work with lighter bells. When I first started Turkish Get Ups last year, my shoulders were weak enough that 15lbs was challenging, and it's taken a lot of work to own 45lb Turkish Get Ups. I like the idea of taking a step back and exploring the Turkish Get Up from different angles.

If you haven't tried it, I like doing multiple presses at each step of the TGU. Makes for longer holds plus the press work.

This is currently my go-to for Sheltered & Simple & Sinister. This can make, for me, a 25lb kettlebell once again challenging.

Bottom-up TGUs are a great way to explore the movement too.

These are not part of my main Sheltered & Simple & Sinister, but I am exploring the movement separately. Right now, with all of the extra stabilization work required, I am exploring this with my 15 lb bell.

You can also stack KBs for any exercises where you don't have to repeatedly clean them or swing them, TGU are no exception. This will also have you increasing grip activation to keep the bells from rolling around your forearm.

I’ve tried doing this with my 15 pounder and 25 pounder stacked together, and haven’t gotten used to what it does to the physics of the Turkish Get Up. 40 pounds is an easy weight for me in a single bell but is more challenging when the weight spans two bells.I may explore this more when my building’s gym re-opens and I don’t have to be concerned with my hardwood floors having to deal with kettlebell mistakes.

A tad off-topic, but John Danaher just put out a free instructional on solo BJJ drills through BJJ fanatics. It's called "Self Mastery". Good movements, and (as is typical with Danaher), lots of good insights about the fundamental principles of grappling.
Thats exactly what i was referring to when i said it. Danaher is to bjj what Pavel is to the kettlebell.

A tad off-topic, but John Danaher just put out a free instructional on solo BJJ drills through BJJ fanatics. It's called "Self Mastery". Good movements, and (as is typical with Danaher), lots of good insights about the fundamental principles of grappling.

It is very good. Travis Stevens also did one for Judo as well as Lachlan and Livia Giles who are currently in quarantine due to having traveled outside of Australia and have been posting vlogs on their youtube channel.

Timmer C said:
I’ve tried doing this with my 15 pounder and 25 pounder stacked together, and haven’t gotten used to what it does to the physics of the Turkish Get Up. 40 pounds is an easy weight for me in a single bell but is more challenging when the weight spans two bells.I may explore this more when my building’s gym re-opens and I don’t have to be concerned with my hardwood floors having to deal with kettlebell mistakes.

Is awkward at first. I actually was able to press more weight stacked than with a single bell, mostly because it puts the weight closer to the arm.

I always found the most beneficial excersises for grappling were chopping wood and narrowing concrete.

One couldn't-be-simpler "program" I've used in the past: clean your 16 kg bell, press it, swing to swing hands, press it on the other side, and just keep on going. Try to pace yourself and it becomes a strength-endurance kind of thing. The variations are nearly endless - add a front squat after the press and before the swing-to-switch-hands.

It's also boring, so the programs that do things like ladder one of the lifts are, IMO, better.

-S-

To the OP just practice the six basic KB moves and improve your movement quality and tension. And fast walking ( if your country allows you to leave home )

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom