all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Minimalist Winter Boot?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

The Nail

Level 7 Valued Member
@Whiskey_Fox - the second link is a pair of Vivo's I mention I am considering.
It's good to know their shoes are great, thank you for your response!

@Steve Freides, their 'shipping' and 'store finder' pages imply that they do not have a brick and mortar store in the USA, but do ship here. Amazon/Zappos have them in stock, so there are risk free options to try sizes.

Had a pair of those boots you linked to a few years ago. An earlier model then, 1.0 version. Maybe just my odd feet but there was an annoying stitching that rubbed my ankle. They were a half boot type, not quite over the ankle and hence an awkward fit. And then 2 years ago I left them all muddy on the porch and someone or something stole one of them. Not the pair, just one. Very strange. So bootless I bought a pair of gobi vivos. They are insulated but like the brand, minimally. Ok for ice, light snow but that's probably the limit. Other than that the best boot or shoe I've owned. Warm enough most of the time, dry and very comfy. Snug as a bug.

When the temperature drops between -25C and -40C there is nothing minimalist about winter protection. A minimalist winter boot is a new concept to me.

I have my Salewa Snow Trainers for when it gets cold, and the classic Sorel Caribou Wool Boots for when it gets really cold.

Last edited:
temperature drops between -25C and -40C there is nothing minimalist about winter protection.

That's -13 to -40 in freedom units.
That's cold! I'd want the baddest boot I could find for that kind of cold too. I'm a desk jockey, which means I don't need a boot as big and bad as that. If it snows hard, I stay at home. Although if I want to walk outside this year with the kind of snow we tend to get here in Chicagoland, that could be just the thing for heavy duty usage.

Thanks!

That's -13 to -40 in freedom units.
That's cold! I'd want the baddest boot I could find for that kind of cold too. I'm a desk jockey, which means I don't need a boot as big and bad as that. If it snows hard, I stay at home. Although if I want to walk outside this year with the kind of snow we tend to get here in Chicagoland, that could be just the thing for heavy duty usage.

Thanks!
I used to live hundreds of kilometers north of where @Geoff Chafe lives... we used to go to places like Chicago for a warm winter vacation...:)

While not minimal in cushioning, the HOKA brand is zero drop to only a 4mm drop and makes a winter "boot". I have a pair of the HOKA ONE ONE for walking due to my arthritis and they are great! I wear vibram five fingers for training and running 5k's, the HOKA's are for my long walks up to 10 miles. I have pretty nasty arthritis in both knees and need near zero drop shoes and the HOKA's have been great.

Traditional construction doesn't work well for me - Converse Allstars is about the most heel raise I tolerate well.

-S-

Traditional construction doesn't work well for me - Converse Allstars is about the most heel raise I tolerate well.

-S-

The Stegers are essentially a moccasin with a wool felt liner. Zero heel raise. Completely flat toe to heel. Padding is minimal. Maybe a half inch of felt underfoot from the liner. Most people add a wool felt footbed for additional warmth, which bumps up the underfoot paddling by another 3/8 inch or so. The boots are completely unstructured so your feet move as if barefoot.

Only real downside is that they get damp in slushy conditions. They do fine as around-town winter boots at any temp as long as you can dry them overnight.

I've had a pair now for about 15 years. Used extensively in town and for winter snowshoe trips. Warmest footwear I've ever owned. Very light and comfortable.

Brian

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom