all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Minimalist yoga?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm hoping this isnt a wierd question but - Is there such a thing as minimalist yoga, like an efficient routine that covers the most important areas in a short time? Kind of like what Strong First does with strength training only with yoga?

Can yoga be divided into certain broad categories the way strength training can (push, pull, squat, hinge, etc)?

I would say that yoga is similar to meditation: if you have time, meditate for 5 minutes a day. If you are busy, meditate for 1 hour a day.

I do yoga-like minimalistic maintenance stretching sequence, daily, and have article + video about it to published soon at Flexible Steel website www.flexiblesteel.com - but it is what it is: minimalistic maintenance stretching sequence (covering flexion, extension, and rotation), not yoga.

I suppose there's no reason it has to be yoga specifically. I want to make sure to maintain my mobility and movement-ability as I get older. I'm looking for an efficient way to do that and am bouncing ideas around.

I look forward to the article and video at Flexible Steel, could you let us know when it's available?

I suppose there's no reason it has to be yoga specifically. I want to make sure to maintain my mobility and movement-ability as I get older. I'm looking for an efficient way to do that and am bouncing ideas around.

I look forward to the article and video at Flexible Steel, could you let us know when it's available?
Flexible Steel or Super Joints would fit the bill...

Qigong and Tai-Chi could also offer you movement and mobility opportunities...

I suggest Flexible Steel/Super-Joints Mobility 101 in the morning, plus any selected stretches you like later in the day/evening.

Yes, I will post the link to the article + video - I think it fits the bill perfectly.

Not to be a bother but I'm having a little trouble finding mobility 101. I looked through the Flexible Steel book and couldn't find that term. Is there a list or is it similar to this video?

In the book it is called "From Tin Man to Plastic Man Mobility Drills".

I'm hoping this isnt a wierd question but - Is there such a thing as minimalist yoga, like an efficient routine that covers the most important areas in a short time? Kind of like what Strong First does with strength training only with yoga?

Can yoga be divided into certain broad categories the way strength training can (push, pull, squat, hinge, etc)?

Full disclosure: I practice two different styles of yoga for different goals, alongside other modalities, such as KB practice, Olympic weightlifting, and rucking. Age: 50.

Yes, there are different schools of yoga, with very different emphases. Yoga poses aren't usually classified according to push/pull/hinge, etc, and I think the taxonomy would start to fall apart pretty quickly with more complex poses.

Some yoga schools are "athletic" in emphasis, much closer to bodyweight strength and conditioning routines, but with extra emphasis on breathing techniques coupled with movement flow. Power yoga, ashtanga yoga are a bit more strength than cardio, while vinyasa yoga is a bit more cardio than strength. Bikram/hot yoga is also in this "athletic" group.

Other yoga schools are more "restorative" in emphasis, slower paced, more calming. Iyengar and yin yoga would be in this camp. Poses are held for longer times, with fewer rapid transitions. Props might be used more.

The last group would have a heavy spiritual dimension, with mantras and meditation. Kudalini and tantric yoga would be in this camp.

Personally, I do 2 days of "athletic" yoga per week on "cardio days" and 2 days of restorative yoga on rest / recovery days between lifting days.

On a weekly basis it looks like:

Mon: Rucking, athletic yoga
Tues: Heavy lifting
Wed: Walking, restorative yoga
Thu: Light lifting
Fri: Rucking, athletic yoga
Sat: Medium lifting
Sun: Yard work & light logging, restorative yoga

Last edited:
Sun Salutations? You can go through as many rounds as you want, and it's pretty quick. Hold the poses longer if you want. Possibly add in some squat holds.

+1

Sun Salutations can almost be seen as a yoga "program minimum".

Start with the A type, move to B when you're ready.

In addition to the routine above, I do a few rounds of Sun Salutation A + B while my morning coffee brews.

I was about to point out that the sun salutations I've seen don't include a twist or some other things but I suppose it's simple enough to add additional moves to address specific concerns.

I was about to point out that the sun salutations I've seen don't include a twist or some other things but I suppose it's simple enough to add additional moves to address specific concerns.

The basic "A" version doesn't have a twist, but some of the more advanced "B" variations do:

PAUSE_0032.png

Kind of like what Strong First does with strength training only with yoga?
Yoga is great. I like the soft style from Mike Taylor.

Personally I have my own "minimalist" routines for joint health, mobility and unwinding.
  • Stretches from S&S (9090 or Pigeon Pose, Straddle QL) after training with a focus on diaphragmatic breathing
  • "Shoulder Pumps" a.k.a. Updog to downdog before sleep
  • Segmental Rolling from Original Strength (very restorative, great for the back, hips and shoulders)
  • Arm Bars or Hanging when my shoulders or chest feel tight
  • + everything that feels right

Last edited:

Personally I have my own "minimalist" routines for joint health and unwinding.
  • Stretches from S&S (9090 or Pigeon Pose, Straddle QL) after training with a focus on diaphragmatic breathing

I've found that with enough pigeon pose practice, the 90 / 90 stretch or the Brettzel stretch are super easy.

On the other hand, thoracic extension is something I've never found anything better for than barbell front squats.

Personally I have my own "minimalist" routines for joint health, mobility and unwinding.
  • "Shoulder Pumps" a.k.a. Updog to downdog before sleep
  • Segmental Rolling from Original Strength (very restorative, great for the back, hips and shoulders)
  • Arm Bars or Hanging when my shoulders or chest feel tight
  • + everything that feels right

I follow a very similar approach to this, with lots of deep bw squat holds (prying) and cat/cows on top of the listed exercises.

Always feel recharged after these, so sprinkle them into week along with more formal strength and yoga practice.

A little, often approach works well.

I follow a very similar approach to this, with lots of deep bw squat holds (prying) and cat/cows on top of the listed exercises.
ah yes, not to forget squats. I guess I should mention I also do TGUs and the S&S warmup which is great for mobility and joint health.

Yoga asanas are a means to an end, and that end is not physical.

That said, asanas are usually classified as forward bend, backbend, twist, inversion, etc. Some of them get quite complex.

Sun salutations are about as minimal as you can get. Ashtanga teacher David Swenson has a series of short forms that are good. Pattahbi Jois said doing the sun salutations, standing poses and closing sequence was a complete practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom