all posts post new thread

Barbell Minimalistic and effective barbellroutine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Arkad

First Post
Hello! I’m quite new to strongfirsts methods and community and been practicing with Kettlebells for a year now. I got a few years of experience with both barbells and bodyweighttraining. At the moment I want some variation in my training and a more solid foundation of strength so I want to do 12 weeks of Barbell work before the summer.

I know there is some posts about this but I’m not yet quite satisfied with what i’ve found. I want your feedback on my plan and i’m happy for every answer i can get.

So I don’t want to hit heavy weights more then 3-4 times a week, keep it minimalistic and goal is overall strength with the barbell.

My plan is:

Session A (2x/week):
Front Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5 x 5
AB-work (heavy windmills, ab wheel, hanging leg raises, any ideas?)

Session B (1x/week):
Deadlift 5x5

Deload every third week and do 4 x 3 at 70 % of the weights i’m at.

Start with 65% of my 1RM and then work my self up over 12 weeks. Increase weights with 10 lbs every week except deload, if i make the prescribed reps.

The other days i I will do some light kettlebell work, nothing fancy or taxing. What do you think?

Might depend on how much of a percentage of max 10# is. 11 total increase weeks - 3 deload weeks = 8 weeks of 10# increases = an 80# increase in bench press weight which may be quite a bit at 5x5.

Instead of continuous 10# increases: A
  1. 65%, 65%+10#, 65%+20#, Deload
  2. 65%+30, 65%+40, 65%+50, Deload
  3. 65%+60, 65%+70, 65%+80, Deload
Maybe: B
  1. 65%, 65%+10#, 65%+20#, Deload
  2. 65%+10, 65%+20, 65%+30, Deload
  3. 65%+20, 65%+30, 65%+40, Deload
Deadlift would either be more appropriate for A or start at a higher percentage doing B. I also would only worry about adding any KB stuff once per week rather than "the other days".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom