all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Minimum distance from pull-up bar to wall

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eric Wilson

Level 6 Valued Member
Going to build a DIY pull up bar with pipes for my basement. It will need to be attached to a wall.

I know that commercial bars often protrude two feet into a room, but I'm hoping to get by with less. Is one foot enough for non-kipping pull ups and chin ups? 8 inches? 16 inches? More?

Hello,

I would keep 19 inches because you wil perform chin up as well (so back to the wall). That way, you are sure not to scrape your back.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Almost any distance will 'work' but you will have more training options available to you the further out you are.
There are plenty of ways to get creative in how to do this.

Hello,

I would keep 19 inches because you wil perform chin up as well (so back to the wall). That way, you are sure not to scrape your back.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Why would I do chin-ups with my back to the wall? Seems the work just as well the other way.

Hello,

If your bar is fixed to a wall, you will face it on pull up, but your back will be "against" the wall on chin
1582295615999.png

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Eric Wilson

New York Barbells - CHINNING UNITS

Most of these show measurements - worth a look for you.

This one WALL MOUNT CHINNING UNIT says it's 10 inches from the wall to the bar.

This one WALL MOUNT KIP CHIN / PULL UP UNIT says "BAR IS 27.5" FROM WALL FOR SWINGING MOVEMENT"

I have 4 pullup bars plus 2 sets of rings in my not-so-small home gym, and this one is the favorite: RAFTER MOUNT CHIN UP BAR My basement ceiling is 9' from the floor to the bottom of the rafters, so I stand on a box to get started on it but taller people can reach it from the ground - the bar itself is about 8' off the ground.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom