all posts post new thread

Training On Lentils

Great job with the press!

Are you still training the press mostly with the dumbbells? Has it become any easier, have the differences between the implements stayed the same or got smaller?

It could be interesting, that when you get to the gym, if you could try out all the three different presses - barbell, dumbbell and kettlebell - and give your impressions on the differences between the lifts.

Great job with the press!

Are you still training the press mostly with the dumbbells? Has it become any easier, have the differences between the implements stayed the same or got smaller?

It could be interesting, that when you get to the gym, if you could try out all the three different presses - barbell, dumbbell and kettlebell - and give your impressions on the differences between the lifts.

Yep, still doping DROP, i.e. ROP with dumbbell (34.5 kg). As I already mentioned, dumbbells seem to have a very positive effect on the KB press, esp. the initial phase. I was surprised how relatively "easy" the presses with 45 kg KB become for both one arm press (I can do 3-4 reps) and also double press (shown in the video above).

Th systematic comparison among the all implements would certainly be interesting but right now I am not sure when I find my way to gym again. Only viable option would on weekends but I prefer to spend them outside on a fresh air with the family.

Some random thoughts:
One thing that strikes me in the video above is that I would never guess from looking on myself that I can lift anything noticeable overhead. I see skinny-fat a#@ with protruding belly, muscleless limbs and slightly hunched shoulders from sitting in a front of the computer. It really looks like the muscles are not the most important part of the strength puzzle. Being such a misfit as long as the muscles (and sport endeavours in general) are concerned, I have to train quite often and relatively heavy in order to proceed somewhere. In other words, hail to StrongFirst!

To update: DROP is going awesome. Two days ago I pressed stacked 32 + 16 for total 48 kg with relative ease. Now onto 56 kg press (I tried it as 40+16 but no way, yet).

Non-training update: Just finished reading "Outliers: The Story of Success" from Malcolm Gladwell. Very interesting read. There are no shortcuts to a success. One needs at least 10.000 hours of hard practice to brig up your skills to the elite level. And this applies to ice hockey, computer programming or playing violin as he shows. I am sure weightlifting is no outlier either.

I appreciate that not everyone is aiming at elite levels but the book just pinpoints the obvious answer that MORE is better, not less.

That book is based on the work of Ericsson. The key is not just how much but how you practice. The Role of Deliberate Practice in Becoming an Expert

You seem to be doing just fine!

That book is based on the work of Ericsson. The key is not just how much but how you practice. The Role of Deliberate Practice in Becoming an Expert

You seem to be doing just fine!

Yep, I am aware of this, actual article is here: http://www.gwern.net/docs/psychology/writing/1993-ericsson.pdf
This is not the only topic of the whole book. A lot of practice is a necessary but certainly not sufficient condition (some other are family background, genetics, time of your birth etc).
Simple and mindless "hard, Harder, HARDEST!" won't definitely cut it.

Update
On Saturday I did 5x(1,2,3,4,5) presses with 34.5 kg dumbbell and
so I ended this round of ROP. I was not progressing one rung/ladder
a week as last time but slightly faster. It took 8 weeks in total.
As for the result, I lost about two kilos of (hopefully) fat
and got stronger which is exactly what I wanted.

From now on, I am going to freestyle (with pressing) for
a while and let it adapt and flow. And I'll try to update this log
every day again as I am missing interaction with all the
honourable members of this forum;)

3x5 gsq
6x7 oas
5x1 press/arm
all with 40
Note: I really like that combo (Press&Sinister, you say?!). My general idea is to somewhat
shift the focus from presses to squats and swings, i.e. lower body. Why? Well, because the day
I pressed 2x45 I also tried dfsq with that weight. I grinded one pant-s***ing rep and did not even try the second one. So yes, it looks like I can double press more than I can double front squat, which sounds twisted and I wanna iron this disparity out.

Last edited:
So yes, it looks like I can double press more than I can double front squat, which
sounds twisted and I wanna iron this disparity out.
Same here, front squats are much worse for me. Total Tension Complex kinda helped with it, but I realized that barbell is a little better tool for front/back/zercher squats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom