all posts post new thread

Training On Lentils

Same here, front squats are much worse for me. Total Tension Complex kinda helped with it, but I realized that barbell is a little better tool for front back squats.

I think you are right, barbell squats are probably the best possible tool for wheels - not an option for me now.
I'll simply try to squat daily (mostly gsq with some sprinkle of dfsq) and see the effect.

I think that in that case you cant go wrong with Double Front Squats, which should develop your legs and core well. In my case the core was the weakest link. You can also take a look at Bulgarian Split Squat.

I think that in that case you cant go wrong with Double Front Squats, which should develop your legs and core well. In my case the core was the weakest link. You can also take a look at Bulgarian Split Squat.

Thanks for tips - that bulgarian squat looks interesting.

Sounds like a good plan. Which part of your body gave up first when you tried the 2*45 squat?

If the kettlebell or bells feel too light you can always play with it; like squat up and/or down slower or make pauses in different spots of the ascent and/or descent.

Sounds like a good plan. Which part of your body gave up first when you tried the 2*45 squat?.

It really was legs, not a core. I think it is especially my knees and adjacent muscles and tendons that need strengthening. And I am also seriously thinking about doing some sort of calf raises.

If the kettlebell or bells feel too light you can always play with it; like squat up and/or down slower or make pauses in different spots of the ascent and/or descent.

Yes - kettlebells are fortunately quite a versatile to allow for a lot of squat variations.

3x5 gsq, 10x5 oas, 5+5 press
all 40
Note: 10 sets of 5 of oas will be my starting point for a while, then I start to add reps.
I'll also vary reps in press, anything from 5x1 to 1x5 per arm.

I am re-reading Rock, Iron, Steel by Steve Justa. Man is as clever as he is strong. Unfortunately, a lot of his ideas work only if you live in a rural Nebraska farm and not in a small flat inside a city.

Last edited:
I am re-reading Rock, Iron, Steel by Steve Justa. Man is as clever as he is strong. Unfortunately, a lot of his ideas work only if you live in a rural Nebraska farm and not in a small flat inside a city.
I am also reading it currently! Its a shame that kettlebells are so bad at implementing his programs.

I am also reading it currently! Its a shame that kettlebells are so bad at implementing his programs.

I think it's mostly because almost all of the programs are centred around incremental increase in load. I'll try to figure out a way how to overcome it using bells, e.g. turning singles into fives and then use heavier bell etc.

If I'll ever own the house, I get barrels, sandbags and rocks and go after it!

I think that moving from singles through doubles to triples will be quite good strategy, this article may be helpful

Justa’s Singles Strategy Adapted to the Double Kettlebell Press | StrongFirst

If I'll ever own the house, I get barrels, sandbags and rocks and go after it!
Oh yeah. I am learning about Strongman recently and farmer walk handles, stones, bags and kegs will be first things I would buy (right after barbell) to my home gym when I move out to house someday ;)

I think that moving from singles through doubles to triples will be quite good strategy, this article may be helpful

Justa’s Singles Strategy Adapted to the Double Kettlebell Press | StrongFirst

Oh yeah. I am learning about Strongman recently and farmer walk handles, stones, bags and kegs will be first things I would buy (right after barbell) to my home gym when I move out to house someday ;)

Thanks for link! I actually did that program with 24+24 and then 32+24.

Great! What do you think about it?

I remember I liked it at the time and was able to press 40 kg KB + 40 kg DB after finishing this - very awkward combination. I think it must have worked.
Btw. it's logged on pages 7-9 of this log.

Last edited:
Thanks for tips - that bulgarian squat looks interesting.

I finally added these after dialing them in with lower weights for a few. Took some tinkering to get the height correct for my rear foot elevation, and then a few blocks of wood to stand on so I could go lower at the bottom. I have a 3" block and still just tap my KBs on the floor at the bottom.

After fighting to do double front squats and loaded pistols I started working in these Bulgarian Splits as the only way left I could think of to increase the load with squat specific work without getting a rack. They fall in the category of "why wasn't I doing these all along?!", a fantastic exercise I could tell almost from the first session are going to help with heavy backpacking. Highly recommended.

I finally added these after dialing them in with lower weights for a few. Took some tinkering to get the height correct for my rear foot elevation, and then a few blocks of wood to stand on so I could go lower at the bottom. I have a 3" block and still just tap my KBs on the floor at the bottom.

After fighting to do double front squats and loaded pistols I started working in these Bulgarian Splits as the only way left I could think of to increase the load with squat specific work without getting a rack. They fall in the category of "why wasn't I doing these all along?!", a fantastic exercise I could tell almost from the first session are going to help with heavy backpacking. Highly recommended.

Gonna try them for sure this evening! Thanks @damogari and @North Coast Miller !

31.3.&1.4. 2018
3x5 gsq, 10x5 oas, press ladder (1,2,3) per arm, all 40
I've tried Bulgarian split squat but, honestly, it is not going to be my favorite anytime soon.
What I've tried and really liked was isometric exercises like horse stances and/or wall sits.
They really put spring in my steps.

Back
Top Bottom