all posts post new thread

Training On Lentils

First date with heavier SB. I've put rest of sand in it (weight 77 kg, 170 lbs).
Shoulder carries x 6
C&P x 2
Note: Glad I can still clean it, much harder though.

170lbs is a lot of sand weight. I managed to get three 60lb tubesand on one shoulder in a low squat "great, now I've got some real weight for my squats!" and could not stand up w/ it. Fell over backward in slow motion laughing all the way.

How long are the sandbag carries you are doing? Are they done in the basement?

@Antti Yes, they are done in a lovely moldy basement. One of the advantages (for summer anyway) is that, not unlike a cave, the temperature is quite a bit lower there. As for the length, it is usually bunch of 25-30 meters laps.

170lbs is a lot of sand weight. I managed to get three 60lb tubesand on one shoulder in a low squat "great, now I've got some real weight for my squats!" and could not stand up w/ it. Fell over backward in slow motion laughing all the way.

I did not try shoulder squat with that but your scenario surely is within the realm of possibilities.

@Antti Yes, they are done in a lovely moldy basement. One of the advantages (for summer anyway) is that, not unlike a cave, the temperature is quite a bit lower there. As for the length, it is usually bunch of 25-30 meters laps.

Do you take a break after each lap? Like when you say "Shoulder carries x 6", is that 25-30m, a break, and repeat?

I'm getting a sandbag for myself this or next month and I'm really looking forward to the carries. I also have a couple of logs. Those are the cheap options, the logs are from my own yard and the sandbag doesn't cost that much. Maybe I'll get something else as well. Maybe I'll go around and try to find a nice rock or two to carry.

Have you tried bearhug carries with the sandbag?

Do you take a break after each lap? Like when you say "Shoulder carries x 6", is that 25-30m, a break, and repeat?

Exactly!

I'm getting a sandbag for myself this or next month and I'm really looking forward to the carries. I also have a couple of logs. Those are the cheap options, the logs are from my own yard and the sandbag doesn't cost that much. Maybe I'll get something else as well. Maybe I'll go around and try to find a nice rock or two to carry.

Awesome! Initially, I also wanted (did, actually) to just went out find a rock or log. But it is not
very convenient because I am living in a small flat inside a relatively large city. For my purpose sandbag has won.

Have you tried bearhug carries with the sandbag?

Shape and filling of my sandbag is not very conductive to it but it'll get better with more sand.

Bunch of chin up bars were installed in a local park where I go to play soccer with the small one. I dared to try it today. Was surprised I can chin myself up at all, three times actually. Formally:
chin ups 3x3
That's awesome achievement @ ~ 300 lbs bodyweight!:)

@masa I am more like 280 lbs right now but thanks hahaha
I'm a bit jealous. We weight the same, but you look more lean than I. You must have lotsa muscle. Anyway, I can't do any chin ups (haven't tried after army though) at the moment, so that tells something. You're damn strong. I admire your pressing numbers too.:)

I'm a bit jealous. We weight the same, but you look more lean than I. You must have lotsa muscle. Anyway, I can't do any chin ups (haven't tried after army though) at the moment, so that tells something. You're damn strong. I admire your pressing numbers too.:)

My favourite explanation for a fact that I've always been heavier than my peers was "I got those heavy bones" ROFL

Not sure about muscles. When I started to log, two years ago I had 118 kg. I have about 10 kg more now, some if it is possibly muscle, but I am still skinny-fat.

As for the chin ups, you might be surprise if you try them. I think they are pretty useless movement anyway, unless you are chimp. Shouldn't we call them chimp ups?

Back
Top Bottom