all posts post new thread

Training On Lentils

Just read this nice Gallagher's article: Iron Icons: Ken Patera | Marty Gallagher
Summary: "Raw strength can overcome a host of technical shortcomings."

That is a good article indeed.

The strength - skill dichotomy is interesting. Looked at briefly, in a way it flies against Strongfirst teachings, like "Strength is a skill". Yes, I agree, that there are certain techniques like tension and irradiation which are always useful. Still, strength is measured in lifts and often the skill involved in the lifts is somewhat specific. In the article in question, there is strength, in itself, which overrides the inadequacy of this lift-specific skill. Now, what is this strength? Is it not what we seek in our practice?

When it comes to articles, my favourite on the Strongfirst site is probably this one: Absolute Strength Is the True Master Quality I think it hits close to home.

Saturday seems to be your heavy day. You may take the whole day for it, in reminiscence to the Oldtimers you may have an upper body strength beverage or two...

Thanks for reminding me! I almost forgott about the c&p&b ladders, am gonna do them again soon!

That is a good article indeed.

The strength - skill dichotomy is interesting. Looked at briefly, in a way it flies against Strongfirst teachings, like "Strength is a skill". Yes, I agree, that there are certain techniques like tension and irradiation which are always useful. Still, strength is measured in lifts and often the skill involved in the lifts is somewhat specific. In the article in question, there is strength, in itself, which overrides the inadequacy of this lift-specific skill. Now, what is this strength? Is it not what we seek in our practice?

When it comes to articles, my favourite on the Strongfirst site is probably this one: Absolute Strength Is the True Master Quality I think it hits close to home.

I did not see it as a real dichotomy strength vs technique (as one still needs at least adquate technique) but rather simply as an aging guy mourning that the overhead press is no longer part of the weightlifitng competitions and, more importantly, training. I think he is implying that weightlifters should overhead press ad nauseam and this will give them this "excess strength of muscled to the max men of yesteryears".

If you think of Bulgarians of 80s and their almost completely skill-specific training, it is clear that what he suggests is only one possibility.
Not to mention that he says Alexeev had 1000 pound squat - which is pure nonsense.

So it is quite specific and personal view of the current state of the american weightlifting.

Time/family pressures forced me to quit ROP for now. I'll get back to ROP, that's for sure.
Nevertheless, I still train everyday, in short 15 - 20 mins sessions. Last couple of weeks I rotate following workouts:
1) snatch + TGU. It's S&S like but instead of 10x10 of swing I do 10x5 snatches.
2) Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT.
3) Carry day - any combination of suitcase, farmers, overheads, etc w/ any combination of bell(s).

Seems to be working pretty well as I am able include more and more 40 kg snatches into the training.

Okay, you snatched bulldog just like that. Multiple reps. I mean that's impressive. I gotta practice tomorrow. Maybe I'll be strong someday too. Keep up the good work.:)

Seems like a good choice to me! Yesterday, I was gone from 7:20a to 9p, but I still made time for a few bottoms up clean and presses when I got home. Far better than doing nothing!

Nice to hear that you're still training frequently. I was a little worried since you stopped updating your log regularly. Looks like you're doing really well even if quit ROP. Stay strong!

Nice to hear that you're still training frequently. I was a little worried since you stopped updating your log regularly. Looks like you're doing really well even if quit ROP. Stay strong!

Thank you @Antti! After this one and half year since I got off the couch, the training became an intergal part of my life and it seems it is
not going to go away anytime soon.

Seems like a good choice to me! Yesterday, I was gone from 7:20a to 9p, but I still made time for a few bottoms up clean and presses when I got home. Far better than doing nothing!

Wholeheartedly agree - consistent effort pays off eventually!

- as the week before, I was doing C&Ps and/or press plus some snatches.
- I bought my second dvukhpudovnik, basically on a whim (no shipping costs offer).
Quite a lot of dcps and dfsq followed. Then I found (perhaps latest) Neupert's
double program, mentioned here on main forum, which I am going to start tomorrow:
The 12-Week Muscle-Building Kettlebell Master-Plan
Main advantage of it for me is the time investment which is less than 1.5 hour per week.
So let's have some bodybuilding fun!

Back
Top Bottom