all posts post new thread

Training On Lentils

Come on, don't play down yourself, it's not pretty, enjoy being strong!

hahah, no worries I don't do that - meaning of "luck" in that sentence was twofold:

1) the clean portion was not at all "clean" and I had problems with stabilizing the bell
2) it took me more than three or four attempts to finish the lift but I felt I can do it so I didn't stop

Last edited:
My training has been quite colourful last weeks.
Presses and its variants are obvious staple wiht some carries thrown in
for a good measure but I am also enjoying BW exercises. It's mostly push ups
variants, like e.g. diamond or declined push ups. Also did some KB dfsq.

To top that off, my son started with wrestling classes and so I have to regularly
beat him in whatever challenge he comes up with, esp. various holds for time,
like squat, push up, bridges, plank etc.

OK, I failed miserably in a dad-son competition yesterday. The exercise was head bridges holds for time.
I collapsed after about 5 seconds almost breaking my neck in a process while the small one held it for
more than a minute.

Finished reading 'Convict Conditioning'. It's a strange book - first part is bullshit fiction about
callisthenics Forrest Gump named Paul Wade and his imaginary friends but the second part are progressions for 6 bodyweight exercises and they seem to make sense, at least on a first sight. It's actually quite humbling to do push ups with recommended tempo 2-1-2, i.e. 2 seconds down, 1 second hold, 2 seconds up, meaning no rest at lockout.
I might give it a go. I enjoyed BW exercises as of late anyway so i's nice timely coincidence.

Last edited:
CC is an interesting book. Full of BS, like you said, but it has a lot of good in it. Bodyweight training can take one very far. Though I'm not sure about the idea about the training tempo, at least on the concentric effort.

Have you missed your sandbag? I got myself one from Strengthshop, of course the biggest one. I'm now trying to find the cheapest and most practical option of filling it up in the middle of winter. Looking forward to playing with it, at least the carries. The carries could be extra nice now with the winter and lots of snow in the yard...

CC is an interesting book. Full of BS, like you said, but it has a lot of good in it. Bodyweight training can take one very far. Though I'm not sure about the idea about the training tempo, at least on the concentric effort.

Have you missed your sandbag? I got myself one from Strengthshop, of course the biggest one. I'm now trying to find the cheapest and most practical option of filling it up in the middle of winter. Looking forward to playing with it, at least the carries. The carries could be extra nice now with the winter and lots of snow in the yard...

My recent thoughts about bodyweight training are motivated by the fact that after I moved I have even less space
and money than before. I currently only 32 and 40 bell, i can press or snatch 5+ times each and any of them.
Moreover, according to many accounts people working on one arm push up progressions increased their KB press
along the way so it seems like no brainer.

Oh yeah sandbag was awesome and is great that you got one, I guesstimate that you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
I used as a filling the sand for kids playgrounds (didn't steal, bought it!) at price 10 cents(0.1 euro)/kg from local
market. But there are other options: gravel, different kinds of pellets, etc.

Last edited:

When you say that you are not sure about the tempo in the concentric phase, I suppose you'd like it faster, am I correct?

My recent thoughts about bodyweight training are motivated by the fact that after I moved I have even less space
and money than before. I currently only 32 and 40 bell, i can press or snatch 5+ times each and any of them.
Moreover, according to many accounts people working on one arm push up progressions increased their KB press
along the way so it seems like no brainer.

Oh yeah sandbag was awesome and is great that you got one, I guesstimate that you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
I used as a filling the sand for kids playgrounds (didn't steal, bought it!) at price 10 cents(0.1 euro)/kg from local
market. But there are other options: gravel, different kinds of pellets, etc.

When you say that you are not sure about the tempo in the concentric phase, I suppose you'd like it faster, am I correct?

I can understand the lack of space and money. Those two kettlebells should get you far, especially if you do the bodyweight training as well.

I had planned on ordering some sand in the summer to build a sandbox for my girl to play in. But I'm not sure I'd like to wait that long. There is a factory that refines gravel and other kinds of dirt right in town, I should probably pay them a visit and see if they sell to individuals. I bought the bag this month because the shop had a good sale.

I always like to do the concentric as fast as possible, always.

@Antti

I filled one of mine up with gravel and it ripped out the seams in the filler bag in less than 1 week. If you have tubesand - sand package specifically for dead weight in cars and small trucks is a good option, otherwise any sand will do nicely.

If you're anywhere near large waterways, you could pick up steel shot ballast sold for boating and other heavy equipment. Is more expensive than sand, but locally I found some for 25 cents/lb picked up at their counter. IIRC I paid 60cents or so delivered to my door.

Is really only useful when you want to add beyond a certain amount - for me the volume beyond about 80lbs feels too much for my frame and I'm concerned I'll pull something trying to keep it up on my shoulder.

I'm with you on the lift speed though didn't always feel this way - fast as possible on the concentric and still have good form. I use a 1 to 3 count con to ecc and that feels perfect. I try to pause for 1 at the top but not always possible.

@Antti

I filled one of mine up with gravel and it ripped out the seams in the filler bag in less than 1 week. If you have tubesand - sand package specifically for dead weight in cars and small trucks is a good option, otherwise any sand will do nicely.

If you're anywhere near large waterways, you could pick up steel shot ballast sold for boating and other heavy equipment. Is more expensive than sand, but locally I found some for 25 cents/lb picked up at their counter. IIRC I paid 60cents or so delivered to my door.

Is really only useful when you want to add beyond a certain amount - for me the volume beyond about 80lbs feels too much for my frame and I'm concerned I'll pull something trying to keep it up on my shoulder.

I'm with you on the lift speed though didn't always feel this way - fast as possible on the concentric and still have good form. I use a 1 to 3 count con to ecc and that feels perfect. I try to pause for 1 at the top but not always possible.

Yes, I think gravel is likely too hard on the bag. But I think they sell some sand in the factory as well. Maybe some sandblasting sand, that should be good. There are some places where they sell it in 25kg bags. It's not terribly expensive even in the hardware stores, I think 20€ will buy me 100kg.

You have 80lbs in your bag? Do you or @Mirek or anyone think I'm overly ambitious as I'm considering loading 80-100kg into mine. The bag is rated up to 150kg.

When it comes to lift speed I always try for as fast as possible on the concentric, like said, but like you I am more flexible when it comes to the eccentric. I also always like to pause between reps, even if just shortly. I think it's more effective and also safer that way.

Yes, I think gravel is likely too hard on the bag. But I think they sell some sand in the factory as well. Maybe some sandblasting sand, that should be good. There are some places where they sell it in 25kg bags. It's not terribly expensive even in the hardware stores, I think 20€ will buy me 100kg.

You have 80lbs in your bag? Do you or @Mirek or anyone think I'm overly ambitious as I'm considering loading 80-100kg into mine. The bag is rated up to 150kg.

When it comes to lift speed I always try for as fast as possible on the concentric, like said, but like you I am more flexible when it comes to the eccentric. I also always like to pause between reps, even if just shortly. I think it's more effective and also safer that way.

I have one bag with 60lbs I use for metcons and lifts that mimic my Hobo stuff where the bag is held out from the body.

The other is usually 90lbs but I could load it to 110. Again, these are pounds, not kilos. I do all my leg work unilateral so I don't need to double the loads up. I did some with both bags and and the volume of sand and shot at 150lbs was considerable.

I have seen on YT a man shouldering from the floor and squatting 240lbs (I think) and that is a serious feat in my opinion. But...the shape of the bag counts for a lot, I don't really know if the more amorphous bags or the ball bags would be easier to shoulder/heft.

I believe you can move more raw weight than me, so I don't really know what a good weight might be, but I'd start out with less till you get a feel for it. And then it depends on what lifts you'll be doing, 80-100kg probably a good weight for bearhug carries, but bearhug front squats maybe not.

For a comparison, Mountain Tactical uses rubber mulch or woodchips and load up to 60lbs or so - but they do a lot of metcon and throwing - tactical GUs, etc. The heavier and tighter you pack the bag the more likely it is to blow out.

I have one bag with 60lbs I use for metcons and lifts that mimic my Hobo stuff where the bag is held out from the body.

The other is usually 90lbs but I could load it to 110. Again, these are pounds, not kilos. I do all my leg work unilateral so I don't need to double the loads up. I did some with both bags and and the volume of sand and shot at 150lbs was considerable.

I have seen on YT a man shouldering from the floor and squatting 240lbs (I think) and that is a serious feat in my opinion. But...the shape of the bag counts for a lot, I don't really know if the more amorphous bags or the ball bags would be easier to shoulder/heft.

I believe you can move more raw weight than me, so I don't really know what a good weight might be, but I'd start out with less till you get a feel for it. And then it depends on what lifts you'll be doing, 80-100kg probably a good weight for bearhug carries, but bearhug front squats maybe not.

For a comparison, Mountain Tactical uses rubber mulch or woodchips and load up to 60lbs or so - but they do a lot of metcon and throwing - tactical GUs, etc. The heavier and tighter you pack the bag the more likely it is to blow out.

Yes, likely a lot depends on what one does with the bag. I really don't know yet. The only thing I know is I'll be doing carries. Back when I worked in construction, or logistics, I had to carry lots of things. I routinely carried bags of concrete and gypsum, each weighing 20-30kg, and usually taking more than one on each trip. And that was years before I ever touched a barbell.

If I end up buying those 25kg bags of sand I'll fill the sandbag in 25kg increments and see what feels good. Thinking of loading the bag straight to a heavier weight depends more on how I get the filling.

That's what I did, bought three 25 kg bags of sand.

In re weight, as NCM said I'd start lighter. My heaviest sandbag weight was around 180lbs, or 78 kg and it was plenty for me.
Incrementing the weight on the sandbag from strengthshop is almost as easy as adding 5 lbs plates on the bar.

Okily, dokily, I am oficially becoming convict. I put myself in jail for at least six weeks to see whether I like it and/or whether it is viable approach at all. I gonna do 2 days on, 1 day off split. One day is push ups and leg raises, the second squats and bridges. No pull ups as I have nothing convenient to hang on, handstand push ups may come later if I stick to it for long enough time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom