all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Missing A Lot Of Training Sessions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have been doing S&S. It's good for a change of pace, but the minimal program has a lot of holes. I have been adding chin ups, ring rows, push-ups, or farmers carries at the end.

I think the true test of "holes in the programing" will be to test your pull-ups and push-ups. Then focus on just Swings and just TGU's for 4-6 weeks, longer if you can stand it and then re-test. It really is surprising how much carry over just focusing on techn and control of heavy swings/Get ups has on other movements.

I followed S&S for 6 months, last year, nothing else, then after that 6 months i was just messing around in the gym with my girlfriend one Saturday..... PR'd my deadlift.......I hadn't deadlifted in months. Also maintained my pushup max but they felt better and was able to bang out a few more pull-ups. trust the process.

Training anxiety is a big contributer to missing a lot of training lately. I have to move some intimidating to me weight to make progress now. I am aging rapidly. I am heavier than I have ever been. It takes longer to get safely warmed up. I know it will cause discomfort. It requires complete focus. Recovery requires more time, and work. I cannot get injured. Time and other obligations interfere. All things I am not fully committed to right now.

I trained exclusively Olympic Weightlifting for 15 years, and competed regionally and nationally for about 10 years, and I learned conquering your fear is the single biggest part of making a lift or not. If do not think you can pull under, commit fully and aggressively, you will fail, it will hurt. When I started Weightlifting my coach told me "Everyone finds out why the plates are the size they are." I have more than a few times.

I had been enjoying heavy training, and keeping everything in balance until recently. I need to step back, lower my expectations, and shift priorities for a while.

Then you will love S&S - feeling anxious about that TGU tonight? No problem. Drop the weight 4 kg, or 8 kg or go naked (the old training shoe get up) and have a "moving night off" and work on your TGU form. I concur that once you get used to it the 20-30 minute "over and done" will do wonders for your confidence. Your anxiety is likely driving your weight gain. Adjusting caffeine intake may help as well. Keep us posted; I'm very curious to hear how you get on with it.

chinups and farmers carries go very well with S&S!
If you have the grip strength to go with it, all these are hard on the grip

I added these to S&S as well, but walks at the end and GTG pull-ups. It felt like too little to me as well, but trusting the process is a great way to put it. I lost no strength in all my other lifts

Hang in there, brother.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break. A week or even a month away from training might be a good thing for you right now. You've been training your entire life. It's part of who you are...your sweet basement gym is evidence enough of that.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but there have been 3-4 times in my life when I just couldn't find the drive to train. Once was when my job was super stressful, and another was after my Dad died (that time was like 3 months). The other two were just because I was burnt out.

Each time, I came back, and they gave me the confidence that I always will. I have taken 2 10 day breaks this year, and plan to take another in December. It's one of the better things I have done for myself.

I have taken 2 10 day breaks this year, and plan to take another in December. It's one of the better things I have done for myself.

These types of breaks can do an amazing amount of good. The trick is in being actually able to not do any training during those times. I know of some pretty tough hard living people who say that in doing these breaks you shouldn't even do anything that raises an adrenal response. Who knows...?

I am finally back to consistent training after about two months of inconsistent training. I fit in hand, arm, and kettlebell training where and when I could due to family, personal, and professional challenges. When it rains it pours.

I started Bill Star's Holy Trinity program on Monday of this week. It's a 5x5 ramp, 3 day per week, heavy/light/medium, barbell strength program very much aligned with Strongfirst philosophy. I am adding kettlebell work in for warmup, and off days as active recovery. I have done similar training before and it works well for me.

I am deloading quite a bit from where I left off, and starting slow. It's feels good to be moving forward again. Never let life get you down, or feel sorry for yourself. Many people have it way worse than you.

Congrats on the upswing! Life is a roller coaster, but we fail to enjoy the pulse quickening falls or to properly anticipate the "excitement" building in long uninterrupted climbs.

Never let life get you down, or feel sorry for yourself. Many people have it way worse than you.

Words to live by.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom